Pico Closing Next Week?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

santaclaus
Beginner On Rentals

Pico Closing Next Week?

Post by santaclaus »

Pico Mtn Snowmaking Operations is projected to hit its budget limit by Feb. 12 and without natural snowfall will not make it to Presidents Week.

Thank you all for making this a season to remember. I look forward to seeing you all again next season!

Have a Safe Summer!
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Pico Closing Next Week?

Post by Highway Star »

I heard they were shutting down early so they can build the interconnect.....

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

With several events scheduled there for February and March I doubt they will shut down operations. May not open Pike this year due to the busted pipes, but they have enough cover to last through a month or so.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Total BS. Bad Santa!
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Scotchvalley
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Scotchvalley »

They haven't made snow since the week of 1/9 even though the snow reports said otherwise.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Well that's just wonderful, I've got 4 2fer 1's and 5 Vouchers for day tix I still need to use before the end of season. Was planning on using the day tix over Feb break when we couldn't ski anywhere but the home hill, without paying the holiday rates. Guess I might not buy any tix ahead of time ever again.

We really need some natural snowfall really bad. What the heck did we do to deserve such a lousy winter anyhow?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:Well that's just wonderful, I've got 4 2fer 1's and 5 Vouchers for day tix I still need to use before the end of season. Was planning on using the day tix over Feb break when we couldn't ski anywhere but the home hill, without paying the holiday rates. Guess I might not buy any tix ahead of time ever again.

We really need some natural snowfall really bad. What the heck did we do to deserve such a lousy winter anyhow?

There is no mention of Pico closing on their page. It'll be open and you will be bale to use your tix/vouchers.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

ME2VTSkier wrote:Well that's just wonderful, I've got 4 2fer 1's and 5 Vouchers for day tix I still need to use before the end of season. Was planning on using the day tix over Feb break when we couldn't ski anywhere but the home hill, without paying the holiday rates. Guess I might not buy any tix ahead of time ever again.

:roll: Once again, there are no plans to close Pico early. You're fine.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
TheAbominableSnowman
Blue Chatterbox

Post by TheAbominableSnowman »

santaclaus wrote:Pico Mtn Snowmaking Operations is projected to hit its budget limit by Feb. 12 and without natural snowfall will not make it to Presidents Week.

Thank you all for making this a season to remember. I look forward to seeing you all again next season!

Have a Safe Summer!

Where did you see such things? I will investigate this one and find the truth
The Abominable Snowman

I Come from the land of the ice and snow
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Bubba wrote:

. . .but they are done making snow there . . . true
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
GreenMtMan
Green Skidder

Post by GreenMtMan »

VT State's for high school race teams is at Pico March 8th.
Let It Snow!
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

is this like how they weren't going to remove the SRT then did, or anything else they said they're not doing then did
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

laseranimal wrote:is this like how they weren't going to remove the SRT then did, or anything else they said they're not doing then did
When did they ever say they weren't going to remove the SRT?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Bubba wrote:

Jeez, I hope so, between the weather, issues with the oldest Boy's "other family" and getting the "headcoldfromhell" for the past 15 days, I was starting to wonder if I was going to get to to the " 'Olde Folks" to visit at all this winter. I think that prior winters activities done without much prior planning were more fun than this year.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

:bull

Pico has the same rock solid icy base that Killington has. Two weeks ago before the r*in/sleet storm outpost, summit glade, sunset 71, and Birch glade all skied very well. 1 good snowstorm and even Pike will open on 100% natural.

They have events planned in March with Mt. Dew and the CT Ski Council. The place was pretty mobbed this weekend with all the racers, sunday program, assorted lesson groups etc. The ticket checkers had to make people quad up to keep the lines managable.

Most telling of all is that they opened a snack shack at the bottom of the summit quad this weekend. It's called "Summit dogs". It's a building the size of the waffle house at least. It's got adirondak chairs and it's fenced in because it's a beer garden. They have Heiniken, Labatts and two other types of beer. The dogs are awesome with home made sauces etc.

Dont forget Pico has a HUGE race atmosphere with the Pico Ski club people and a very devoted, serious adaptive program. I know folks at Killington tend to write Pico off but it has a lot of activity on weekend days. In fact, there will be a large new 2 story building built very soon at the base to house Vermont adaptive and a race organization. The building will link the pico club with the building that houses ski patrol, rentals and the ski shop.

Yes it's true. They have barely made snow at all this season. They blew B slope, Exhibition and prospector and then stopped about three weeks ago. They blew 49r and the base one last time 1/28-29 and it seems like that is it. But really except for the main bottom trails, 49r, KA and B slope Pico is and always has been mostly natural snow in any year.

Pico people were pretty unhappy with the decision last year to close with 100% of the terrain open at the very end of march/beginning of April for a stupid snowmobile event. I don't think they would be stupid enough to close in February considering the Race programs a Vermont adaptive. Like I said, the place is reasonably busy and it has a pretty glacial base of crunchy icy snow that is just waiting for a big dump of soft snow to allow all the ropes to drop.