Site Admin

RIP Levon Helm

Post by Bubba »

Another legend gone.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: RIP Levon Helm

Post by skiadikt »

yup he will be missed.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

I've been procrastinating about going to one of Levon's midnight rambles in Woodstock for years.
Blew it again.
There are now more dead Band members than live ones.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Rip good friends with his guitar tech. Got to hang in Woodstock, Levon was a good guy. Still bitter tho about Robbie.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

icedtea wrote: Still bitter tho about Robbie.
I agree. Found this bit on fb the other day

Former bandmates Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm have had a strained relationship since the Band’s original lineup dissolved in 1976. Helm was critical of Robertson in his autobiography, This Wheel’s On Fire, claiming that the guitarist took undue credit for writing certain Band songs, when they were in fact a group effort. The acrimony prevented the two musicians from performing together for over 35 years. However, in a 2011 interview, Robertson told American Songwriter that he would be open to collaborating with Helm again.

Yesterday, the news broke that Helm, who survived a bout with throat cancer in the late ’90s, is in the final stages of his battle with cancer.

Today, Robertson posted the following message on his Facebook page:

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

-Robbie Robertson
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

RIP
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

ozzy wrote:
icedtea wrote: Still bitter tho about Robbie.
I agree. Found this bit on fb the other day

Former bandmates Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm have had a strained relationship since the Band’s original lineup dissolved in 1976. Helm was critical of Robertson in his autobiography, This Wheel’s On Fire, claiming that the guitarist took undue credit for writing certain Band songs, when they were in fact a group effort. The acrimony prevented the two musicians from performing together for over 35 years. However, in a 2011 interview, Robertson told American Songwriter that he would be open to collaborating with Helm again.

Yesterday, the news broke that Helm, who survived a bout with throat cancer in the late ’90s, is in the final stages of his battle with cancer.

Today, Robertson posted the following message on his Facebook page:

Last week I was shocked and so saddened to hear that my old band mate, Levon, was in the final stages of his battle with cancer. It hit me really hard because I thought he had beaten throat cancer and had no idea that he was this ill. I spoke with his family and made arrangements to go and see him.

On Sunday I went to New York and visited him in the hospital. I sat with Levon for a good while, and thought of the incredible and beautiful times we had together. It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Sandy.

Levon is one of the most extraordinary talented people I’ve ever known and very much like an older brother to me. I am so grateful I got to see him one last time and will miss him and love him forever.

-Robbie Robertson
Talk about waiting until the very end! The guy had to be hours from death before Robertson decided to come over to say hi. :? Never understand people that let sh*t simmer until it's too late. I know so many people that don't speak to their immediate family members and old friends over the dumbest sh*t. Some for many years. Some will probably go to their graves never having resolved a thing and regretting it for the rest of their lives.
Eski
Postaholic

Post by Eski »

The Band has been a soundtrack to my life since grade school ...
moving into Levon's backyard, seeing him perform locally and attending a few Rambles, getting to shak his hand and thanking him for the music on a couple occasions has only deepened the bond to the music ... for me, this is on the same level as losing Lennon ... a very sad day indeed
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Big influence on my drumming and a great guy....

I'll miss him at the Rambles which had become like musical crack to me.
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

ozzy wrote:It was heartwarming to be greeted by his lovely daughter Amy, whom I have known since she was born. Amy’s mother, Libby Titus, and her husband, Donald Fagen, were so kind to help walk me through this terrible time of sadness.
Did not realize there was a six degrees of Band/Steely Dan type thing there.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

DMC wrote:Big influence on my drumming and a great guy....

Hmm wonder if we have been there at same time.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Eski and DMC, seems like Levon Helm had a more local connection and meant a lot to both of you personally ... sorry for your loss ....

Oh, you others are included too ..... :seeya
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

icedtea wrote:

Hmm wonder if we have been there at same time.

Maybe.. Was at the Phil Lesh,MMW,Stanton Moore and Anders, Bob Wier, Warren,Hook Herrera Rambles and a couple others...
But the guests really become almost nota big deal because his band is so FREAKING good...
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

MrsG wrote:

Eski and DMC, seems like Levon Helm had a more local connection and meant a lot to both of you personally ... sorry for your loss ....

Oh, you others are included too ..... :seeya
He lives down the road from us... He's a big part of the fabric of a lot of the music scene in the Catskills. Lot's of people know him - his band members have other bands that play around town. It's pretty cool.

He's just well known as a really nice guy. And the Rambles kick ass...