Bubba
Site Admin

Re: market selloff

Post by Bubba »

"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

To bump this epic thread...

Gold above $2,000? Bueller? Bueller?

The S&P 500 is back to 2,075 after a 2 month correction.
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Post by Rime & Reason »

Geoff, I think your chart needs something more. I added an indicator to show when Madhatter made his famous prediction to more clearly show just how poor his timing was.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

It wasn't a prediction per se, merely the suggestion of the distinct possibility in the form of a question thus leaving open the ability to deny having actually made a prediction.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bubba wrote:It wasn't a prediction per se, merely the suggestion of the distinct possibility in the form of a question thus leaving open the ability to deny having actually made a prediction.
I knew you was smart Bubba, but never knew you knew another language like Legalese. You should run for office.
Last edited by Dr. NO on Oct 25th, '15, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Post by Rime & Reason »

Bubba wrote:It wasn't a prediction per se, merely the suggestion of the distinct possibility in the form of a question thus leaving open the ability to deny having actually made a prediction.
I don't think I can fit all of that on the graph.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Gold was not the only commodity to take a hit. There were tons of bargains during Aug and Sept in that arena. Grabbed a few myself as I am a sucker when the prices get real low.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Geoff wrote:
madhatter wrote: By exercising SDR's the IMF can use the Chinese ( once the Chinese are granted SDR's) position to further weaken the USD until there is widespread pressure to replace the USD with a "new world currency" a " worldeuro" if you will.
What alternative universe do you live in where the IMF is going to do that? China has to totally reform their banking and capital/ownership laws before the IMF would even begin allowing the Chinese in. Ain't gonna happen in the next decade.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/ ... 2Y20151130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When the International Monetary Fund agrees on Monday to add the Chinese yuan to its reserves basket in the biggest shake-up in more than three decades, the IMF can afford itself a congratulatory nod.

By acknowledging the yuan as a major global currency alongside the dollar, euro, yen, and pound, as is widely expected, IMF members will endorse the efforts of China's economic reformers and by doing so hope that will spur fresh change in China.
and for the record:

https://www.imf.org/external/country/chn/rr/glance.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
China joined the IMF on December 27, 1945, as one of its 35 original members.

funny thing about a slow motion train wreck is you are afforded ample time to get out of the way if you heed the early warning...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

The gold collapse continues. It was down below $1,060 last week before rallying slightly to $1,064 today. The S&P 500 is a few percent below the record high. Most of those stocks pay some kind of dividend.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

looks like china is having no effect on the market as usual...buy the dips...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Look out below.
Attachments
US_stock_futures_are_getting-c4b3da124f2650f381904931bb50256a.png
US_stock_futures_are_getting-c4b3da124f2650f381904931bb50256a.png (71.48 KiB) Viewed 551 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

brexit, polls fixed, outcome denied...

Britain votes to leave EU, Cameron quits as markets dive

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKCN0Z902K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

madhatter wrote:brexit, polls fixed, outcome denied...

Britain votes to leave EU, Cameron quits as markets dive

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brita ... SKCN0Z902K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
US politicians take note.

My $.02. The EU gov't, much like the US gov't, spends a significant amount of time governing for the minority. The majority sits on the sidelines quiet as the impact to their way of life is only minimally impacted. That is, until they get tired of a government governing primarily for the minority and it begins to impact their way of life. Then they speak up, punished politicians, and take power back into their grasps. I think Brexit is the majority speaking up and out about an EU and UK leadership that governs as if London is the UK ... much like the US gov't governs as if the minority is the majority.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-2 ... rm-started" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell