market selloff

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Re: market selloff

Post by Rime & Reason »

roundabout wrote:Apparently it's fairly normal:

http://advisorperspectives.com/dshort/c ... 121107.php
Buy on the rumor, sell on the news. Happens all the time.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

as the data clearly shows obama holds the record for biggest negative swing by a longshot, is the only president to see a -5% or greater loss on the "news" and will be the only one to see gains before and losses after both a first and second term election win as well as the only one to ever cross the 2% loss threshold not just once but twice. In fact of the 16 election years shown only 3 times were there losses of 1% or greater.

coincidence I'm sure and absolutely unrelated to hikes in both cap gains and dividend taxes, the looming fiscal cliff and the slew of taxes and expenses associated with obamacare.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

madhatter wrote: as the data clearly shows obama holds the record for biggest negative swing by a longshot.
Jeeze I wonder what was going on at that time that would make the negative swing happen...?

Was there anything going on with our economy then?

I'm a little hazy on this....
roundabout
Bumper

Post by roundabout »

DMC wrote:
madhatter wrote: as the data clearly shows obama holds the record for biggest negative swing by a longshot.
Jeeze I wonder what was going on at that time that would make the negative swing happen...?

I'm a little hazy on this....

And reading further into this article we find this bit of information regarding 2008:

Obama's first win has the record over this timeframe for the best pre-election market performance. Unfortunately, the selloff on the following day also set a record. Of course November of 2008 was a grim time for the markets, just a few weeks after the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy. In fact, the S&P 500 fell another 5.03% on the Thursday after the 2008 election.

Fortunately, the Financial Crisis is behind us, although there's still some clean-up work to be done. But the back-page news item that's repeatedly showing up as a headline today is on the Fiscal Cliff.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

A more interesting story than a one day snapshot of market performance.

Composite S&P 500 Percentage Performance (by term):
roundabout
Bumper

Post by roundabout »

madhatter wrote:Image

as the data clearly shows obama holds the record for biggest negative swing by a longshot, is the only president to see a -5% or greater loss on the "news" and will be the only one to see gains before and losses after both a first and second term election win as well as the only one to ever cross the 2% loss threshold not just once but twice. In fact of the 16 election years shown only 3 times were there losses of 1% or greater.

coincidence I'm sure and absolutely unrelated to hikes in both cap gains and dividend taxes, the looming fiscal cliff and the slew of taxes and expenses associated with obamacare.

The records only go back to 1952 so there is no financial news from 1929 - 1938 when we had our last depression cause lets face it, 2008 was nearly as bad, only this time our government took action and we spent our way out of disaster.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

roundabout wrote:
madhatter wrote:Image

DMC wrote: Jeeze I wonder what was going on at that time that would make the negative swing happen...?

I'm a little hazy on this....apparently so, day before election big gain, obama elected big loss=not the result they wanted, otherwise there would have been a gain on the "great news"
roundabout wrote:
And reading further into this article we find this bit of information regarding 2008:

Obama's first win has the record over this timeframe for the best pre-election market performance. Unfortunately, the sell off on the following day also set a record. Of course November of 2008 was a grim time for the markets, just a few weeks after the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy. In fact, the S&P 500 fell another 5.03% on the Thursday after the 2008 election.again, gain the day before and sell off the day after = not the result they were looking for

Fortunately, the Financial Crisis is behind us, although there's still some clean-up work to be done. But the back-page news item that's repeatedly showing up as a headline today is on the Fiscal Cliff.
roundabout wrote:The records only go back to 1952 so there is no financial news from 1929 - 1938 when we had our last depression cause lets face it, 2008 was nearly as bad, only this time our government took action and we spent our way out of disaster.EBT to the rescue w/o them there would be 49 million people in breadlines,
the market didn't crash the DAY BEFORE the 08 election there was a gain on the day before ( a decent one) followed by an even worse loss on the news. not anything to brag about. If the "news" was good why are there record sell offs following each of his elections? can you people at least understand that nearly 50% of the country voted for the other guy and at least SOME of them have money in the market and that they just might be opposed to his financial policies? or is that not possible?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
roundabout
Bumper

Post by roundabout »

It's interesting that we had republican's in office during the last depression's in 1929 and 2008. Hoover in 1929 and bush in 2008, two morons.
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Post by Rime & Reason »

Cityskier wrote:A more interesting story than a one day snapshot of market performance.

Short term market swings are all about psychology. Sure Wall Street is unhappy - one of their own lost the election. I am glad they are unhappy. Long term market swings are much more meaningful. That is a very meaningful chart you posted, Cityskier!
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Post by Rime & Reason »

madhatter wrote:
Rime & Reason wrote:Maddie, go ahead and use the stock market data from before everything came crashing down during the last Republican administration. Your cherry picking and misdirection only help prove my point.

P.S. please buy more guns.just added a sweet bullet hose to the cache, a little post election gift to me. mail order guns kick @ss!!! woo hoo!!!
do you understand what "cherry picking" means? comparing the all time dow high to where we are now is not cherry picking. Nor is comparing the "rally" on monday w the sell off today.
Well, I really like Wikipedia’s definition:
“Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.”

When I picked January 20th and today as my date range for the Dow Jones stock market average comparison, I was picking data based on the actual time frame Obama was in office. I did not even consider the data from one month, or one year, before he entered office as that would be irrelevant.

When you picked your data points you first found the all time Dow high, breathed a sigh of relief that it occurred during Bush’s term (and, not coincidentally, during the height of the housing bubble) and then decided to use that. The real kicker is that you did not even bother to find the stock market high during Obama’s years in office (13,661 I believe, achieved without the benefit of a housing bubble) which you could have added to your post for a more fair comparison.

So yes, I know what “Cherry Picking” is. It is what you, and GSKI, and Atomic, do all the time. It is what completely invalidates your arguments. It is why your posts are worthless. Well, except for the entertainment value.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Rime & Reason wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Rime & Reason wrote:Maddie, go ahead and use the stock market data from before everything came crashing down during the last Republican administration. Your cherry picking and misdirection only help prove my point.

P.S. please buy more guns.just added a sweet bullet hose to the cache, a little post election gift to me. mail order guns kick @ss!!! woo hoo!!!
do you understand what "cherry picking" means? comparing the all time dow high to where we are now is not cherry picking. Nor is comparing the "rally" on monday w the sell off today.
Well, I really like Wikipedia’s definition:
“Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position, while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position.”

When I picked January 20th and today as my date range for the Dow Jones stock market average comparison, I was picking data based on the actual time frame Obama was in office. I did not even consider the data from one month, or one year, before he entered office as that would be irrelevant.

When you picked your data points you first found the all time Dow high, breathed a sigh of relief that it occurred during Bush’s term (and, not coincidentally, during the height of the housing bubble) and then decided to use that. The real kicker is that you did not even bother to find the stock market high during Obama’s years in office (13,661 I believe, achieved without the benefit of a housing bubble) which you could have added to your post for a more fair comparison.

So yes, I know what “Cherry Picking” is. It is what you, and GSKI, and Atomic, do all the time. It is what completely invalidates your arguments. It is why your posts are worthless. Well, except for the entertainment value.
so you had zero money in the market before obama was elected? I'm only interested in the bottom line and since 07 the dow is down as in stagnant for 5 years.
mach es sehr schnell

steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Rime & Reason wrote:
Cityskier wrote:A more interesting story than a one day snapshot of market performance.

Short term market swings are all about psychology. Sure Wall Street is unhappy - one of their own lost the election. I am glad they are unhappy. Long term market swings are much more meaningful. That is a very meaningful chart you posted, Cityskier!
Great chart. Pretty much shows that market capitalization has increased about as much U.S debt in dollar value since Obama took office.

Let the good times roll!
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

madhatter wrote:300pts and counting as the money says no thanks to hopey dope. the wealthy sit on the sidelines and weather the storm while the middle and lower classes take the hit. Who saw that coming? oh wait I did. No worries though helicopter ben will arrive soon to save the day. Gold 2k by jan 31 or sooner? we shall see...
damn, you must've bought like 3 sherman tanks and built your own alamo when the market tanked under bush.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The Market Just Figured Out Two HUGE Problems

http://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/20 ... e-problems

"The US Presidential election ended November 6, 2012. Since that time, the market has fallen 3%.

There are a multitude of reasons for this, but the primary one is the fact that the markets is beginning to realize two key items:

Everything that was a problem in the run up to the US election is still a problem (in fact many issues are now worse than they were a few months ago).
Having engaged in pre-emptive and extreme actions to keep things calm in the run up to the election, the US Fed and ECB have run out of effective monetary bullets.

Regarding #1, according to the ECRI, as of June 2012, the US is back in recession. The ECRI has proven far more accurate and timely in predicting recessions than the NBER. And now that the election is over I expect other US data (the ISM, LEI, and employment numbers) to start moving towards reality (bad).

By the way, the US just hit a new record for food stamp usage."

no worries hopey is at the helm, kick back and relax, eat the rich.
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Wealthy Dump Assets Amid Worries About Going Over 'Cliff'

http://www.cnbc.com/id/49792979

"Since the wealthiest one percent of U.S. households control more than half of the stocks in the United States, their selling and buying can have strong ripple effects on the market.

Bankers say owners of private businesses are also pressing to sell their companies to ahead of a possible tax hike. If an entrepreneur, for instance, sells a company for $100 million, they could pay $10 million less in taxes than if they sold in 2013.

Deal advisors say that by selling his company to Disney this year for $4 billion, George Lucas potentially saved hundreds of millions of dollars in taxes."

enjoy the bread and circus, clowns. Eat the rich...
mach es sehr schnell