80%
Pavano and Wright
20%

Total votes: 5

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Which 2 were the better signings

Post by 2knees »

Pavano and Wright or Wells and Clement. Wright i dont believe in at all and was so happy to see the yanks sign him. Pavano is still young so last year could be the real deal. Wells is fine as long as he's healthy and Clement has always had the potential, just needs to put it together. My vote here is for Wells and Clement. Although i'm a sox fan so it isnt exactly objective.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

I'll preface this by stating that I'm a Sox fan as well.

Jaret Wright - Pitched more innings last year then the previous 4 seasons combined! After a 3.28 ERA last year his career ERA is still over 5.00! Great pick up.

Carl Pavano is 29 and is coming off his first truly good season. It is interesting in that Kenny Rogers, Jeff Weaver and Javier Vazquez arrived in New York at similar ages with similar track records...and we all know what happened to them.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

My vote is Pavano and Wright. Both are young, have known some success, although clearly Wright has some big question marks about him. Yankee players, who used to face him when he was a younger headhunter in Cleveland, now say he seems to have matured and takes a much better approach to the game. If that's true, and he can adjust to the pressures of NY, he'll do fine as the 4th starter. Pavano comes from the area and his biggest problem may be having his family at every game and the pressure that can bring. I think having pros like Johnson and Mussina around them will help a lot. We'll see...

As for Wells and Clement, I see Wells having the Fenway lefthander problem more than anything else. He's always around the plate, has great control, and he's been giving up a lot of hits as a result as he's gotten older and he's relied more and more on finesse. My guess is he'll win 12 - 13 games tops. Clement is a question mark along the lines of Wright and Pavano - lots of potential without a long history of success to go with it.

So, why Pavano/Wright over Wells/Clement? Wells being 41 or so gives him less margin for error and more possibility of quick decline. He's also had some physical problems which may be another sign of age taking its toll. On the other hand, as long as he stays away from the Cask & Flagon, he may be OK.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

Bubba wrote: Both are young, have known some success, although clearly Wright has some big question marks about him. Yankee players, who used to face him when he was a younger headhunter in Cleveland, now say he seems to have matured and takes a much better approach to the game.
In wrights case, i hope he has matured and improved as a pitcher because when he was with the indians, the red sox worked him over like a rented mule. but, very good points and this year should be as good as the last 2 in terms of sox/yanks games.