Condo flooring recommendations

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Geoff
Whipping Post

Re: Condo flooring recommendations

Post by Geoff »

Jim McClain wrote:
Geoff wrote:For something that gets rented, I can't fathom why you'd use anything but carpet. On a slab, the floor will be really cold if it's not carpeted.
Then you will need to pay for cleaning and repairs over and over again. Hard surface floors are much easier and less costly to maintain long-term. There should be nothing in the tenant rules that would prevent them from supplying their own area rugs to keep their tootsies warm. My own luxury vinyl plank flooring is on slab construction. It's well below freezing outside and I am wearing only socks to keep my feet warm.

If you are offering furnished rentals for relatively short periods of time, then you probably should supply the area rugs, or go with wall-to-wall carpet in low traffic places like bedrooms. But LVP and LVT are very good options for these economic times. Increase the perceived value and lower the long-term costs, equals more profit and less work.

R'gards,

Jim
Sorry, but I don't think you have any understanding of the situation. "Renters" are people renting a condo by the day. All of the condos at Killington have dirt/gravel parking lots. Guests get gravel embedded in their ski boots and clump around the rental condo destroying hardwood floors. They'll track in tons of snow and have standing water on that floor. They won't give a damn if the kitchen sink or bathtub overflow and flood the floor.

Any slab floor at Killington is going to be really cold in the winter. The condo stock is so old that nobody insulated under the slab. Again, you have no understanding of the conditions.

Personally, I like the old school look of hardwood floors with an area rug exposing 12" of the floor at the edge of the room. ...but there's no way I'd do it with a Killington condo that was going to be put in the rental pool.
Jim McClain
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Jim McClain »

Geoff wrote:Sorry, but I don't think you have any understanding of the situation.
Apparently not. I didn't get it, even after spending a while the day I joined to find out what this website was about, that Killington is a specific place. My posts refer to more generic living in snow country and being an owner/manager or tenant of rental property.

But my opinions of the types of flooring are based on over 40 years in the retail and installation segments of the flooring industry (the last 6 of which as the admin of a flooring specific forum). Most of that was in the Sierra-Nevadas of the REAL Northern California and NW Nevada. I've also been living in concrete slab construction for the last 7 years and manage the rental properties here.

Ceramic tile and stone is colder, more expensive and more difficult to repair than other types of flooring. They also come in textured and slip resistant styles, so wet floor safety is less of an issue.

Luxury vinyl tile or planks have a higher initial cost than carpet, but lower long-term costs than any other flooring, looks better longer than anything except tile & stone and is warmer under foot than ceramic or stone.

Engineered hardwood can't be beat in the looks department (if your desired look is hardwood), but has a high initial cost and is far more susceptible to damage in these circumstances, thus higher maintenance and repair costs. But it is warmer than tile or vinyl.

Carpet can have the lowest initial cost, but requires far more regular maintenance, which adds considerable time and expense that tenants are loathe to invest in. Its lifespan is shorter and its appearance deteriorates more rapidly, especially under the conditions described in this thread. However, it is the warmest flooring material. Area rugs on any of the other types of flooring could counteract that though and wouldn't be subject to the same wear characteristics as w2w carpet. You can't turn a w2w carpet to even the wear and you can avoid area rugs in the highest traffic/abuse areas, like halls and adjacent to entries.

I think I do have some understanding - and many years of experience - of the conditions at Killington. Just in a different part of the country. :wink:

Jim
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Jim McClain wrote:
Geoff wrote:Sorry, but I don't think you have any understanding of the situation.
Apparently not. I didn't get it, even after spending a while the day I joined to find out what this website was about, that Killington is a specific place. My posts refer to more generic living in snow country and being an owner/manager or tenant of rental property.

But my opinions of the types of flooring are based on over 40 years in the retail and installation segments of the flooring industry (the last 6 of which as the admin of a flooring specific forum). Most of that was in the Sierra-Nevadas of the REAL Northern California and NW Nevada. I've also been living in concrete slab construction for the last 7 years and manage the rental properties here.

Ceramic tile and stone is colder, more expensive and more difficult to repair than other types of flooring. They also come in textured and slip resistant styles, so wet floor safety is less of an issue.

Luxury vinyl tile or planks have a higher initial cost than carpet, but lower long-term costs than any other flooring, looks better longer than anything except tile & stone and is warmer under foot than ceramic or stone.

Engineered hardwood can't be beat in the looks department (if your desired look is hardwood), but has a high initial cost and is far more susceptible to damage in these circumstances, thus higher maintenance and repair costs. But it is warmer than tile or vinyl.

Carpet can have the lowest initial cost, but requires far more regular maintenance, which adds considerable time and expense that tenants are loathe to invest in. Its lifespan is shorter and its appearance deteriorates more rapidly, especially under the conditions described in this thread. However, it is the warmest flooring material. Area rugs on any of the other types of flooring could counteract that though and wouldn't be subject to the same wear characteristics as w2w carpet. You can't turn a w2w carpet to even the wear and you can avoid area rugs in the highest traffic/abuse areas, like halls and adjacent to entries.

I think I do have some understanding - and many years of experience - of the conditions at Killington. Just in a different part of the country. :wink:

Jim
I think this is where your difference of opinion (and Geoff's comment about your not understanding the situation) come from. You have to think of the rental market here in Killington as, first and foremost, the equivalent of hotel space. The condo tenants are, for the most part, short term renters - a night, a weekend, a week - with no responsibility for any expense other than to pay their nightly rental and go happily on their way when their rental is over.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Jim McClain wrote:

Jim
Don't bother trying to reason either Geoff or Bubba. They are an authority on everything in life.
Jim McClain
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Jim McClain »

Bubba wrote:You have to think of the rental market here in Killington as, first and foremost, the equivalent of hotel space.
Although I admit to being unaware of that in my first posts, my last comments were directed at the owners or responsible parties. Sorry that wasn't clear.
SPORE wrote:Don't bother trying to reason either Geoff or Bubba. They are an authority on everything in life.
Pardon me, who is "they?" Missing a word or punctuation? :?c

Jim
SPORE
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by SPORE »

Jim McClain wrote:
SPORE wrote:Don't bother trying to reason either Geoff or Bubba. They are an authority on everything in life.
Pardon me, who is "they?" Missing a word or punctuation? :?c

Jim
You're pardoned.

"They" are the two users that I mentioned in my original post, Geoff and Bubba. No word or punctuation is missing from my post.
Jim McClain
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Jim McClain »

Maybe the word "with?" As in, "Don't bother trying to reason with either Geoff or Bubba." At first I thought it was a missing comma, as in "Don't bother trying to reason, either Geoff or Bubba." Meaning you were telling Geoff or Bubba not to bother reasoning with me. "They" might have been referring to my ilk. Sorry, it's the former English major in me. :wink: It's all clear now. 8)
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Who's on first. :D

JIm Mc, I'm one of the more reasonable of the admins on this site. I welcome your input. I'm not a very good Admin so sometimes the kids get out of hand. You do your best and hope you have enough knowledge to have them be......... what ever they can. Sometimes well................ ever go to pick up a stick to get crap off your shoes? Ever grab the wrong end of the stick...welcome to KZone. It is what it is.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage