Obama's America

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Rime & Reason
Black Carver

Re: Obama's America

Post by Rime & Reason »

steamboat1 wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:Americans Not In The Labor Force Rise To Record 93,194,000 http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-0 ... d-93194000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Administration will come out and say Unemployment #'s are down but the truth is that they've exhausted all means !
320,000,000 = total population
74,500,000 = children *1
40,300,000 = age 65+ *2
Simple math time
= 205,200,000 working age
- 93,194,000 *unemployed
= 112,006,000 potentially working full or part-time
= 41.2407% true unemployment rate

If 205m people drop out of labor force, the unemployment rate will be ZERO.

Is that a success?

There is a difference b/w the unemployment rate and full employment.

I think it is insulting that you consider college students, special needs, the disabled, and stay at home moms and dads to be “unemployed”.

Please do not believe the ZeroHedge lies. They are just trying to manipulate the financial markets.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

steamboat1 wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:Americans Not In The Labor Force Rise To Record 93,194,000 http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-05-0 ... d-93194000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This Administration will come out and say Unemployment #'s are down but the truth is that they've exhausted all means !
74,500,000 = children *1
40,300,000 = age 65+ *2
Simple math time
- 93,194,000 *unemployed

Is that a success?

Huh?

April 2015 data: Workforce size: 157,072 Employed: 148,523 Unemployed: 8,549 U3 unemployment rate: 5.4

U6 is 10.8%. The civilian non-institutionalized labor force size is 250 million. The participation rate is 62.8%. The labor force participation rate for Gen X and Millennials is up over 80%. A crap load of boomers exited the labor force during the Great Recession and never re-entered. Laid off from relatively high income jobs and lacking the 21st century job skills to find a comparable replacement job. Most of them opted to retire early or be the non-working spouse. Of course, you're never going to hear this from a MadHatter-esque loony tune source like ZeroHedge.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Geoff wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:
74,500,000 = children *1
40,300,000 = age 65+ *2
Simple math time
- 93,194,000 *unemployed

Is that a success?

Huh?

April 2015 data: Workforce size: 157,072 Employed: 148,523 Unemployed: 8,549 U3 unemployment rate: 5.4

U6 is 10.8%. The civilian non-institutionalized labor force size is 250 million. The participation rate is 62.8%. The labor force participation rate for Gen X and Millennials is up over 80%. A crap load of boomers exited the labor force during the Great Recession and never re-entered. Laid off from relatively high income jobs and lacking the 21st century job skills to find a comparable replacement job. Most of them opted to retire early or be the non-working spouse. Of course, you're never going to hear this from a MadHatter-esque loony tune source like ZeroHedge.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/gra ... 4_data.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indeed business is booming and we are at or near virtual full employment... good times... :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

madhatter wrote:http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

http://data.bls.gov/generated_files/gra ... 4_data.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

indeed business is booming and we are at or near virtual full employment... good times... :roll:
If you adjust the graph to look back to 1948, one might conclude the period of 1985-2008 was one of unusually high participation.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
madhatter wrote:http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

If you adjust the graph to look back to 1948, one might conclude the period of 1985-2008 was one of unusually high participation.
quite possible, i graduated HS in '83 and yeah the job market was great... easy to get a job, easy to move up...esp in CT where I lived at the time...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

You can look at all the data you want, but when you walk into factories and find out that 50% of the work force is laid off and most of the production lines are down, somebody is lying their ass off. Most of my customers are in aerospace and defense. Federal cut backs are killing many businesses. When heavy machinery isn't selling and the users are not producing product, the economy sucks. Manufacturing is nearly dead and those who work it will not be retrained to today's more modern economy. They are not only not buying new machines or upgrading production but delaying necessary repairs or just not fixing some problems until absolutely necessary.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

madhatter wrote:quite possible, i graduated HS in '83 and yeah the job market was great... easy to get a job, easy to move up...esp in CT where I lived at the time...
IMHO, if you have a background in business, science, or math it still is easy to get a job and move up.
Dr. NO wrote:You can look at all the data you want, but when you walk into factories and find out that 50% of the work force is laid off and most of the production lines are down, somebody is lying their ass off. Most of my customers are in aerospace and defense. Federal cut backs are killing many businesses. When heavy machinery isn't selling and the users are not producing product, the economy sucks. Manufacturing is nearly dead and those who work it will not be retrained to today's more modern economy. They are not only not buying new machines or upgrading production but delaying necessary repairs or just not fixing some problems until absolutely necessary.
In the private sector the Fed, State, and Local governments incentivize companies to move their operations overseas. At the micro level, look at what's happening to Dogfish Head in Reheboth Beach. Reheboth will likely lose Dogfish to another town.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
madhatter wrote:quite possible, i graduated HS in '83 and yeah the job market was great... easy to get a job, easy to move up...esp in CT where I lived at the time...
IMHO, if you have a background in business, science, or math it still is easy to get a job and move up.
Dr. NO wrote:You can look at all the data you want, but when you walk into factories and find out that 50% of the work force is laid off and most of the production lines are down, somebody is lying their ass off. Most of my customers are in aerospace and defense. Federal cut backs are killing many businesses. When heavy machinery isn't selling and the users are not producing product, the economy sucks. Manufacturing is nearly dead and those who work it will not be retrained to today's more modern economy. They are not only not buying new machines or upgrading production but delaying necessary repairs or just not fixing some problems until absolutely necessary.
In the private sector the Fed, State, and Local governments incentivize companies to move their operations overseas. At the micro level, look at what's happening to Dogfish Head in Reheboth Beach. Reheboth will likely lose Dogfish to another town.
Nope, unless you are as well educated & intelligent as Geoff you don't have a shot in this world.

What an ignoramus.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
You know Dogfish isn't brewed in Rehoboth Beach?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
IMHO, if you have a background in business, science, or math it still is easy to get a job and move up.right a background, whereas in 1983 the desire to work and some sort of at least average ability got ya in the door, if ya showed up on time and applied yourself, ya moved up... I was supervisor in a factory at 21 yrs old cuz I had a good mechanical aptitude, always showed up and showed up on time and was willing to work 2nd shift...opportunities like that are almost, if not completely, non-existent nowadays...
good ol' aerospace, a core industry in CT, hamilton standard and teleflex fluid systems were both located in my hometown area and MANY of the guys who worked at those places were townies who went there direct out of HS...My wife worked for Pratt as a kid in their cafeteria, and as an accountant at teleflex and chandler-evans/goodrich helicopter controls after she got her masters...my dad spent his entire life working for stanadyne another large mfg (of diesel fuel pumps), now a shell of its former self...ah the heydays of mfg, blue collar jobs and the opportunity for money and advancement were a lot different back then... I;d hate to have to be looking for that kind of work nowadays at any age let alone as a kid looking for entry level work...

mach es sehr schnell

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
IMHO, if you have a background in business, science, or math it still is easy to get a job and move up.right a background, whereas in 1983 the desire to work and some sort of at least average ability got ya in the door, if ya showed up on time and applied yourself, ya moved up... I was supervisor in a factory at 21 yrs old cuz I had a good mechanical aptitude, always showed up and showed up on time and was willing to work 2nd shift...opportunities like that are almost, if not completely, non-existent nowadays...
good ol' aerospace, a core industry in CT, hamilton standard and teleflex fluid systems were both located in my hometown area and MANY of the guys who worked at those places were townies who went there direct out of HS...My wife worked for Pratt as a kid in their cafeteria, and as an accountant at teleflex and chandler-evans/goodrich helicopter controls after she got her masters...my dad spent his entire life working for stanadyne another large mfg (of diesel fuel pumps), now a shell of its former self...ah the heydays of mfg, blue collar jobs and the opportunity for money and advancement were a lot different back then... I;d hate to have to be looking for that kind of work nowadays at any age let alone as a kid looking for entry level work...

Those opportunities still exist, just in places like Tennessee and South Carolina where new auto and other plants are being built. Workers need more skills now than they used to but companies are training in order to overcome the shortcomings of public schools today.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

spanky wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
You know Dogfish isn't brewed in Rehoboth Beach?
Absolutely. They do, however, have some of there unique brews and collaborations on tap in the town. I imagine, given the popularity of their store front, it's an attraction for people in the area. I would never have gone to Reheboth if it wasn't for Dogfish and I'm sure there are others like me. I don't understand the township/cities decision. I'd guess the town of Milton would not kick the brewery out if they wanted to expand.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

madhatter wrote:right a background, whereas in 1983 the desire to work and some sort of at least average ability got ya in the door, if ya showed up on time and applied yourself, ya moved up... I was supervisor in a factory at 21 yrs old cuz I had a good mechanical aptitude, always showed up and showed up on time and was willing to work 2nd shift...opportunities like that are almost, if not completely, non-existent nowadays...[/color]
I don't take issue with how things have changed in this regard. Moving to the top should not be as simple as being at a company forever and being a consistent hard worker. It should be based, IMHO, on value you bring to the greater org.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:
madhatter wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:

Those opportunities still exist, just in places like Tennessee and South Carolina where new auto and other plants are being built. Workers need more skills now than they used to but companies are training in order to overcome the shortcomings of public schools today.
yer probably more right than wrong there....Haven;t been in the job market for a long time, but it seemed like the opportunities back then were a dime a dozen, I had no problem moving from place to place and hardly gave job security a second thought because I knew the "next" opportunity would bear more fruit than the current one was...Not sure the avg joe blue collar can indulge in that nowadays...
mach es sehr schnell

Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Mostly what we're seeing is the effect of automation on blue collar jobs. Jobs at high wages were easy to come by 35 years ago because it took 4x the hours of labor to manufacture a product. We had a labor shortage. That isn't the case today. That trend is only going to accelerate. If you are investing in automation, there is now an enormous multiplier on that investment.

Here's a graph of what has happened with automation investments. You can see that in the hallowed 1980 being kicked around here, a man year of labor produced an inflation-adjusted $40K of product. Today, a man year of labor produces $160K. This isn't so much "the evil capitalists exporting our jobs to China". The jobs that have been exported are mostly the most crappy ones nobody wants that are difficult to automate. It's only in the protected, government subsidized industry Dr NO lives in where we haven't seen a big boost in productivity from automation.