Vermont Health Exchange

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Vermont Health Exchange

Post by deadheadskier »

Um, I am between the ages of 18 and 50 and part of a couple with no kids.

I'll gladly pay that knowing what the costs are if I were to be hospitalized without insurance.

The 1 time I didn't have health insurance (a brief gap of 3 months in VT no less) I had a health issue. A brutal kidney infection where by I spent 5 hours in the Fletcher Allen ED on IV fluids, a bit of morphine and a prescription. My cost was $1800 and that was with a discount for being uninsured. Had I had insurance, the hospital would have billed my insurer $2400.

My wife spent three days in the Hospital a few years back. Her insurance was billed $18K.

Those kinds of dollars would absolutely cripple the average worker in VT making $27K or less.

So, if I didn't have other means of securing healthcare through my employers, you are damn right I'd be signing up for AFA coverage.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote:
Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Those who are successful and paid well are to support those who are not. That's all it is.

I have no problem paying to help those who "can't". I fail to see why I should pay anything to help those who "won't".
I agree, but I don't see many eligible tax payers saying "I won't" when the reality is the plans are very fair.

Your little experiment here fails on 1 major thing. The Affordable Care Act only benefits those who make between 400% of the poverty level and less and operates on a sliding scale. That top 400% level is defined as $45,690 per year, so $3807 per month. The very TOP level falls below your arbitrary $4K per month test. Those who make that will pay at maximum, 9.5% of their income into the plan. That equals about $360 a month. $90 per week for health insurance for an individual making $45K a year ain't so bad. It's pretty darn affordable actually.

I'm actually a bit surprised Bubba that you threw in a number that doesn't work, because you are usually one of the best posters on Kzone in researching accuracy and the information is pretty readily available. The subsidy schedule based upon income vs the federal poverty level is outlined here:

http://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wor ... 962-02.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That $45K figure is for adjusted income too. So, in real income, someone could earn in the low 50s and qualify if they contribute the maximum towards their retirement; and that doesn't factor in other deductions.

That's big income in Vermont. The median income for VT workers is $27K per year. That's prior to any deductions and let's assume that people making that amount of money in VT aren't putting much if anything towards retirement.

http://www.usa.com/vermont-state-income-and-careers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So HALF the income earners in the state, fall below 250% of the federal poverty level and at maximum would pay 8.05% of their income towards health insurance. At the top of that scale, that means the health insurance cost would be $191 a month. Under $50 a week. And it only gets more reasonable from there as income drops.

Will there be losers who say eff it and take the tax penalty fine? Sure, the amounts are small for the first couple of years of the Bill, but eventually it evens out where there's very little savings in going uninsured. I know this a point of philosophical/political contention about fining for no insurance, but throw that aside and just look at the numbers.

The reality is that the AFA regardless of it's flaws helps a massive percentage of workers whom we support while recreating at Killington. Virtually every worker in Killington who we do business with benefits huge with this plan over any private insurance on the market today. From the fine people who pour our coffee and cook our eggs in the morning, to the lifty that bumps our chairs, to the instructors that teach our kids how to ski to the bartenders who provide us a great Apres Time, to the guy who plows our driveway so we can easily park our posh SUVs in our driveways without worry when we arrive on Friday Night; AFA is a great deal for all of them; the working class. The vast majority of these people have never had insurance. Their employer hasn't provided it, the private purchase options are outrageous. Now they get something reasonable. There will be abuses of the system, but at least they now have options.

but by all means folks. travel to K next winter, tip your bartenders well, but let them know you don't give a f*** that for decades health insurance has been a pipe dream. If something happens to them, you'll feel bad, but there will always be somebody new waiting in the wings willing to pour yuor drinks with no insurance.
I didn't do any advance research because I have my own coverage through my employer. I just wanted to see how the website and the plan would work so I put in a reasonable Vermont income, assumed my wife and I had no coverage, and began to look through the options. As it turned out, because we would receive no government subsidy, we would be required to either pay a minimum of 21.25% of our monthly income ($850/$4000) or pay the penalty which would be far less. Since we could no longer be rejected for pre-existing conditions, we could wait until we had a major medical need before buying insurance. Another perverse incentive of the ACA.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:Um, I am between the ages of 18 and 50 and part of a couple with no kids.And your household income is: 27k? 54k? 81k? significantly more?

I'll gladly pay and no one is telling you that you can;t, but why is it ok to tell them they must?that knowing what the costs are if I were to be hospitalized without insurance.

The 1 time I didn't have health insurance (a brief gap of 3 months in VT no less) I had a health issue. A brutal kidney infection where by I spent 5 hours in the Fletcher Allen ED on IV fluids, a bit of morphine and a prescription. My cost was $1800 and that was with a discount for being uninsured. Had I had insurance, the hospital would have billed my insurer $2400.assuming you are more than one or two years old, your annualized out of pocket is nil. Over the last 40 years I've used maybe 7-10k worth of services,I paid more than that just last year in premiums... For many the cost of insurance isn't worth it... If you only go the Dr for routine checkups etc paying out of pocket is far less, combine that with a hgih deductible, catastrophic plan in case of sever injury or illness and you have what many would consider adequate coverage for potential risks encountered... Obamacare requires policies to carry many "benefits" I simply do not want, or wish to pay for.

My wife spent three days in the Hospital a few years back. Her insurance was billed $18K.

Those kinds of dollars would absolutely cripple the average worker in VT making $27K or less.IF they were ever to pay them that is

So, if I didn't have other means of securing healthcare through my employers, you are damn right I'd be signing up for AFA coverage.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Now we know how much the government is paying to advertise the Vermont Health Exchange and to influence local press coverage.

http://vermontbiz.com/news/october/3-mi ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this article details how high the costs are through the exchange versus the national average.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/october/ ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:Now we know how much the government is paying to advertise the Vermont Health Exchange and to influence local press coverage.pretty sure this money was in exchange for sanders vote for obamacare...

http://vermontbiz.com/news/october/3-mi ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And this article details how high the costs are through the exchange versus the national average.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/october/ ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

madhatter wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:assuming you are more than one or two years old, your annualized out of pocket is nil. Over the last 40 years I've used maybe 7-10k worth of services,I paid more than that just last year in premiums... For many the cost of insurance isn't worth it... If you only go the Dr for routine checkups etc paying out of pocket is far less, combine that with a hgih deductible, catastrophic plan in case of sever injury or illness and you have what many would consider adequate coverage for potential risks encountered... Obamacare requires policies to carry many "benefits" I simply do not want, or wish to pay for.
Quite a few people are taking this route, families and even some small companies, due to the cost.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Bubba wrote:Now we know how much the government is paying to advertise the Vermont Health Exchange and to influence local press coverage.

The Shumlin administration responds to criticism.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/state-defen ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

deadheadskier wrote:Um, I am between the ages of 18 and 50 and part of a couple with no kids.

I'll gladly pay that knowing what the costs are if I were to be hospitalized without insurance.

The 1 time I didn't have health insurance (a brief gap of 3 months in VT no less) I had a health issue. A brutal kidney infection where by I spent 5 hours in the Fletcher Allen ED on IV fluids, a bit of morphine and a prescription. My cost was $1800 and that was with a discount for being uninsured. Had I had insurance, the hospital would have billed my insurer $2400.

Those kinds of dollars would absolutely cripple the average worker in VT making $27K or less.

Point taken. But I think you are the minority. That is why participation is mandatory, not optional. Too many would opt out given the chance.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
deadheadskier wrote:Um, I am between the ages of 18 and 50 and part of a couple with no kids.

Point taken. But I think you are the minority. That is why participation is mandatory, not optional. Too many would opt out given the chance.
jay carney would buy it too, if he didn't already have insurance...Probably holds true for many other people who already have insurance, wasn't this thing about the people who can't afford insurance? Making it more expensive didn't help them, or anyone else.
mach es sehr schnell

biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Manhattan institute has an interesting comparison by state.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Things can't be going well when MSNBC says Obama and those in Obamacare are lying about the number of people enrolling and getting into the system. If he loses this bunch things can't be going very well in Obama land.

http://www.caintv.com/msnbc-obama-admin-outright-lyi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dr. NO wrote:Things can't be going well when MSNBC says Obama and those in Obamacare are lying about the number of people enrolling and getting into the system. If he loses this bunch things can't be going very well in Obama land.

http://www.caintv.com/msnbc-obama-admin-outright-lyi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If they had used almost any other MSNBC program as an example, the article would be pretty much spot on. However, by characterizing Morning Joe as being in the same administration supporting role as other MSNBC programs, this article's opinion is essentially nonsense.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

More bad poll results

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/22/am ... tter-daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:More bad poll results

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/22/am ... tter-daily" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
all the spin and polling in the world won;t hide the fact that no one is buying it... even the dumbest lofo/nofo's ain't dumb enough to put actual money on this turd. Signature Achievement? I'd say so... Like everything else the Lyin' King touches the end result is always FAILURE and INEPTITUDE. Well except that sham of an election... Apparently fake votes are a lot easier to come by than actual insurance purchasers...
mach es sehr schnell

wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

madhatter wrote:
Bubba wrote:More bad poll results

all the spin and polling in the world won;t hide the fact that no one is buying it... even the dumbest lofo/nofo's ain't dumb enough to put actual money on this turd. Signature Achievement? I'd say so... Like everything else the Lyin' King touches the end result is always FAILURE and INEPTITUDE. Well except that sham of an election... Apparently fake votes are a lot easier to come by than actual insurance purchasers...
How did you like the scam that was pulled yesterday. How was he the first to see the fainting woman behind him during a speech? And the best part was how he grabbed her then turned away from her and back to the microphone to say "I got you" wow!!!