Thumbs up for the village

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiersleft
Powderhound

Re: Thumbs up for the village

Post by skiersleft »

This is by far the best thing that has happened to killington in a long time. Here's why:

(1) A village makes killington more attractive for those who are planning their multi-day ski vacation with the family. Walkability matters to families. That's why resorts build villages, after all. If it were such a bad idea, then people wouldn't build them.

All of you will disagree with (1), so on to (2), which is WAY MORE IMPORTANT:

(2) Everyone here will whine and bitch about the plan. But 9.5 out of 10 will keep skiing here regardless. You will whine, but you will keep coming. Killington/SP Land know that. Highway Star will threaten with boycotting the place. But he will never leave. Why will he (and you) you keep coming? Because you love the terrain and the almost 7 month season. Whine all you want. You've been doing it for the last 10 years, especially pre Mike S. But you're still here. And Kililngton knows that!

BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME. MAKE PEACE WITH IT, BUT IT'S HAPPENING.
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

skiersleft wrote:This is by far the best thing that has happened to killington in a long time. Here's why:

(1) A village makes killington more attractive for those who are planning their multi-day ski vacation with the family. Walkability matters to families. That's why resorts build villages, after all. If it were such a bad idea, then people wouldn't build them.

(2) Everyone here will whine and bitch about the plan. But 9.5 out of 10 will keep skiing here regardless. You will whine, but you will keep coming. Killington/SP Land know that. Highway Star will threaten with boycotting the place. But he will never leave. Why will he (and you) you keep coming? Because you love the terrain and the almost 7 month season. Whine all you want. You've been doing it for the last 10 years, especially pre Mike S. But you're still here. And Kililngton knows that!

I agree with this 100%
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

skiersleft wrote:This is by far the best thing that has happened to killington in a long time. Here's why:

(1) A village and interconnect makes killington more attractive for those who are planning their multi-day ski vacation with the family. Walkability and size matters to families. That's why resorts build villages and terrain expansions, after all. If it were such a bad idea, then people wouldn't build them.

(2) Everyone here will whine and bitch about the plan. But 9.5actually 9.999 out of 10 will keep skiing here regardless. You will whine, but you will keep coming. Killington/SP Land know that. Highway Star will threaten with boycotting the place. But he will never leave. Why will he (and you) you keep coming? Because you love the terrain and the almost 7 month season. Whine all you want. You've been doing it for the last 10 years, especially pre Mike S. But you're still here. And Kililngton knows that!

Now I agree with it 200%
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Highway Star wrote:Okemo has had plenty of recent development, because they have picked up 100k+ yearly skier visits from Killington in the last decade.

Problem is, the actual customers who might know enough to care about this are not the ones that are directly impacted by it. I'll still continue to park for free at KBL or Bear most of the time, at least through phase one.

The *average customer* has no idea about what is planned and it is going to be a challenge to inform them - I wish you the best of luck with that.

POWDR/Killington and Town of Killington should be having a long, hard look, not to mention reality check, about these plans and see how it has a high likelyhood of negatively impacting their businesses.
No, Okemo has picked up 100k+ skier visits from Killington in the last decade because they have had plenty of recent development.

That said, I do notice that the bigger a ski area's mountain village, the smaller the surrounding town seems to be. A village will almost certainly take dollars away from the access road businesses.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote:
Highway Star wrote:Okemo has had plenty of recent development, because they have picked up 100k+ yearly skier visits from Killington in the last decade.

Problem is, the actual customers who might know enough to care about this are not the ones that are directly impacted by it. I'll still continue to park for free at KBL or Bear most of the time, at least through phase one.

The *average customer* has no idea about what is planned and it is going to be a challenge to inform them - I wish you the best of luck with that.

POWDR/Killington and Town of Killington should be having a long, hard look, not to mention reality check, about these plans and see how it has a high likelyhood of negatively impacting their businesses.
No, Okemo has picked up 100k+ skier visits from Killington in the last decade because they have had plenty of recent development.

That said, I do notice that the bigger a ski area's mountain village, the smaller the surrounding town seems to be. A village will almost certainly take dollars away from the access road businesses.
Sorry, but Okemo's visits increase are at the expense of Killington, and because Killington was unable to retain those customers. Okemo did pick up more customers because they were able to offer more than Stratton, Mt. Snow, etc. But people had to decide to leave Killington first.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

It's hard to respond to something so clueless, but I'll try.

Clearly you don't remember the last time Killington ticked off it's customer base. Sometime around......2007? There was plenty of complaining on K-zone, but some people blindly apologised for management's decisions.

What did that cost them? About a half millon skier visits over several years and probably about $20-30M in revenue over those years.

So, what do you do when your customer base says you are making stupid decisions and are going to lose business? :roll:

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Highway Star wrote:
Ski_the_Moguls wrote:

Sorry, but Okemo's visits increase are at the expense of Killington, and because Killington was unable to retain those customers. Okemo did pick up more customers because they were able to offer more than Stratton, Mt. Snow, etc. But people had to decide to leave Killington first.
Do not be sorry, I agree that "Okemo's visits increase are at the expense of Killington."

Okemo does offer something more than Killington -- it offer's slope side homes. They have been building them for decades, and not just in far off places like the Skyeship and Sunrise areas. This, as much as any expansion they have done to the mountain, is what took the bulk of the business that Killington has lost over the years. Trust me, if every one of your trips to big K included a moment of, "Honey, why don't we just ski here" as you pass through Ludlow, you would understand the allure.

I know that real skiers like you and I would not be caught dead buying a place at Okemo, but it is not people like us that K has lost to Okemo over the years.
skiersleft
Powderhound

Post by skiersleft »

Highway Star wrote:

Clearly you don't remember the last time Killington ticked off it's customer base. Sometime around......2007? There was plenty of complaining on K-zone, but some people blindly apologised for management's decisions.

What did that cost them? About a half millon skier visits over several years and probably about $20-30M in revenue over those years.

So, what do you do when your customer base says you are making stupid decisions and are going to lose business? :roll:
You don't get it. You're comparing yachts to lawnmowers. What you need to prove is that building a village will reduce skier visits in much the same way that skier visits were reduced in the 2000's by management incompetence (and other reasons). But these cannot be compared. Reducing season length, closing bear early, closing skyeship, forgetting about infrastructure (plausibly) leads to less visits. But arguing from that that building a village will lead to less visits because people will have to take a shuttle requires a willing suspension of disbelief.

Let me put it this way: no plausible argument could be made that what management was doing in the 2000's would lead to more skier visits (shorter season, less terrain, crappy infrastructure). In contrast, a plausible argument can be made that a village increases skier visits. May it also drive some away? Perhaps, but it will surely also lure some to K who would otherwise go elsewhere. So, again, your comparison reveals complete ignorance of the way in which the universe works. And given that Killington is part of the universe, it reveals complete ignorance of how Killington works.

In any case, you're the first one who is not leaving. Ever. You didn't leave back in 2007, you won't leave when the village gets built. And like you there are thousands of others. AND THIS IS WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT HERE. You're couching the arguments against the village in economic terms. But what's really motivating you is that you're pissed that you're going to walk more to get to the lift. But for every pissed highway star, there are several lift tickets out there from families who will now consider Killington for the first time because it has a village.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiersleft wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

You don't get it. You're comparing yachts to lawnmowers. What you need to prove is that building a village will reduce skier visits in much the same way that skier visits were reduced in the 2000's by management incompetence (and other reasons). But these cannot be compared. Reducing season length, closing bear early, closing skyeship, forgetting about infrastructure (plausibly) leads to less visits. But arguing from that that building a village will lead to less visits because people will have to take a shuttle requires a willing suspension of disbelief.

Let me put it this way: no plausible argument could be made that what management was doing in the 2000's would lead to more skier visits (shorter season, less terrain, crappy infrastructure). In contrast, a plausible argument can be made that a village increases skier visits. May it also drive some away? Perhaps, but it will surely also lure some to K who would otherwise go elsewhere. So, again, your comparison reveals complete ignorance of the way in which the universe works. And given that Killington is part of the universe, it reveals complete ignorance of how Killington works.

In any case, you're the first one who is not leaving. Ever. You didn't leave back in 2007, you won't leave when the village gets built. And like you there are thousands of others. AND THIS IS WHAT IS REALLY IMPORTANT HERE. You're couching the arguments against the village in economic terms. But what's really motivating you is that you're pissed that you're going to walk more to get to the lift. But for every pissed highway star, there are several lift tickets out there from families who will now consider Killington for the first time because it has a village.
Actually, noob, I can leave just like anyone else can leave, and have actually even left before!

So please do humor me and actually make a plausible arguement that a Village will attract skier visits.

Wait just a sec, I'll click my heels together and repeat it three times:

Village will attract skier visits.....

Now....I've been hearing about a village for nearly a decade. That it would "attract families that want a Village". That this would increase visits...just because.

You know what? This is a complete load of crap. You CAN'T make a plausible arguement that the Village increases visits, because otherwise I would have heard one! In fact the town did a full study of the economic impact of the village, and nowhere did they actually say HOW it would increase visits.

However, you sure can make one against it, as multiple people have done in this thread already.

Seriously, you and SP Land remind me of these guys:

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Highway Star wrote: Wait just a sec, I'll click my heels together and repeat it three times:

Can't wait to see those on the hill.
skiersleft
Powderhound

Post by skiersleft »

Highway Star wrote:[

So please do humor me and actually make a plausible arguement that a Village will attract skier visits.
Oh...I think I misunderstood. I thought that if you believe (as you evidently do) that you can pull out of your ass that a village will kill skier visits at K, I could just do the same thing. Let's do something. Demand facts only if you are willing to provide them. Since the only thing you can provide as an argument is your Dorothy Ozian fantasy heels, I guess there's no point in arguing with you. Once you purge yourself of your ignorance we can continue this discussion. I hope to be alive when it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh...yes...you left K. And you came back. Quickly. Looks like the bush doesn't do it for you. Who would've thunk it?
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Highway Star wrote:I can leave just like anyone else can leave, and have actually even left before!
I did not know this. Might I inquire as to where, why and when, you went?
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

skiersleft wrote:
Highway Star wrote:[

Oh...I think I misunderstood. I thought that if you believe (as you evidently do) that you can pull out of your ass that a village will kill skier visits at K, I could just do the same thing. Let's do something. Demand facts only if you are willing to provide them. Since the only thing you can provide as an argument is your Dorothy Ozian fantasy heels, I guess there's no point in arguing with you. Once you purge yourself of your ignorance we can continue this discussion. I hope to be alive when it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh...yes...you left K. And you came back. Quickly. Looks like the bush doesn't do it for you. Who would've thunk it?
Here's the town economic impact study - PLEASE READ IT:

http://www.killingtonzone.com/assets/To ... tStudy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now.....I just skimmed it again and don't see anywhere it says the village is going to increase visits. I see plenty of places where they say visits should be increased to offset the impact of the village, but don't see how that is going to actually happen.

tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

In addition to improving on mountain recreation and entertainment , the village would get K a step closer to a 4 season resort. A well planned road would also improve traffic flow. With a nice shuttle system getting to the slopes from a remote parking lot would be fine for most people. I use the shuttle a lot and it is not that bad.
As for SP land goes, it's their money and they want it now! :mrgreen:

PS. Is it ski season yet?
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

tt431 wrote:PS. Is it ski season yet?
Hang on! We're onto the final repeat of thread discussions.

KillingtonZone Summer Schedule:

Global Warming
Humpty
Village
Interconnect
KMS Highline expansion
Humpty

REPEAT

Add in a bunch of crap threads in between these topics, and you have KillingtonZone from June-October.