Soft Big Bump Skis?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Soft Big Bump Skis?

Post by Snowjob »

What are people using for skis in the big bumps that are out there?

I skied with two friends today and they both had on Atomic 120's. They were able to rip through some troughs that I crashed and burned in. I was using the Head Monster IM70's. They are soft enough but I just couldn't seem to keep up with the real short skis.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Soft Big Bump Skis?

Post by Stormchaser »

Snowjob wrote:What are people using for skis in the big bumps that are out there?

I skied with two friends today and they both had on Atomic 120's. They were able to rip through some troughs that I crashed and burned in. I was using the Head Monster IM70's. They are soft enough but I just couldn't seem to keep up with the real short skis.
Been bangin on my Pocket Rockets so far...
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

If you want to stay in the troughs, go short. If you want to ski the bumps, go a bit longer and more narrow. I am on my 9-18's and have not had a problem until this season, they keep locking together. I may go to a 185 straight ski I have in the garage to bump a bit easier.

I think the phats are fine if you stay on top. If you go into the troughs and such, they will start to push you instead of you skiing them. JMO.

Of course, I don't know how the rest of you do bumps. If I am on game, I do well, but can't keep up with Capboy or Pedro.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Re: Soft Big Bump Skis?

Post by andyzee »

Snowjob wrote:What are people using for skis in the big bumps that are out there?

What's the length of those skis?
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

I think im going to be on the bandits this weekend. The twisters were real nice in the bumps at hunter Saturday, but when you get on the spring crusiers and start haullin ass, i get concernd about catching a tip or somthing in the crud.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Midfats are always my fav in spring bumps. Call me a herb, but the skinny straight skis submarine in the mush and I get a tip caught quite often or get submerged in the trough and stall. If you use a midfat, you still have the float, but can turn quickly if the ski is 170 or shorter.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Mtn Man wrote:Midfats are always my fav in spring bumps. Call me a herb, but the skinny straight skis submarine in the mush and I get a tip caught quite often or get submerged in the trough and stall. If you use a midfat, you still have the float, but can turn quickly if the ski is 170 or shorter.

B)
G, whats the definition of a mid-fat?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

SkiDork wrote:

Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

DMC wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

Haha, she's just big boned....

Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Mtn Man wrote:Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)
I was talking to mamaW about Freestyle hopefuls for Ice_Man for next season, and she said a slalom race ski (as long as it's slalom and not GS) is fine for him to use. That doesn't agree with what you said, does it?

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Mtn Man wrote: Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)
Thats why I'll probably break out the 1080's....

STAIRCASE MAN!!!! :lol:
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

DMC wrote:
Mtn Man wrote: Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)

DMC is going to be rippin it old school! Yeah beotch!
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

Pedro wrote:
DMC wrote:

B)

DMC is going to be rippin it old school! Yeah beotch!
Low and slow....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

SkiDork wrote:
Mtn Man wrote:Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)
I was talking to mamaW about Freestyle hopefuls for Ice_Man for next season, and she said a slalom race ski (as long as it's slalom and not GS) is fine for him to use. That doesn't agree with what you said, does it?
that used to be true, before the shapes of SL went crazy. I enjoy the fishers in the bumps, but they aren't long enough to really do them big, and if they were longer, that big shovel would be deadly. JMHO !
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Dr. NO wrote:
SkiDork wrote:

B)
that used to be true, before the shapes of SL went crazy. I enjoy the fishers in the bumps, but they aren't long enough to really do them big, and if they were longer, that big shovel would be deadly. JMHO !
but she's talking about current skis.

Maybe it's the kids models?

Ice_Man wants a pair of Dynastar 64's for next season (although it looks like the most popular SL kids race ski these days is the Rossi, or a close 2nd is the Fischer).

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage