RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Mtn Man wrote:
DMC wrote:
SkiDork wrote:
G, whats the definition of a mid-fat?

Haha, she's just big boned....

Midfats range around 70mm at the waist. I love the Fischers that i have, they barely have a sidecut and are 70mm at the waist, great for spring bumps. Sidcut is your enemy in the bumps.

B)
If your bring them up. I'll use them for you. It will be like you were there.
What the heck, bring the Volants too while your at it.....buddy..ol pal.. :wink:
Where is Happy Hour ?
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on Apr 19th, '05, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

RustyK wrote:If your bring them up. I'll use them for you. It will be like you were there.
What the heck, bring the Volants too while your at it.....buddy..ol pal.. :wink:
I could lend ya my Dynastar 4X4 ATV 8)
I love those rock skis. Cracked edges everywhere, no base, no edge on one side, but still plenty of camber after 150+ odd days on them. Those things are indestructible.

You want the fats or midfats this weekend? I'm not bringing both of them, trying to pack light.

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Mtn Man wrote:
RustyK wrote:If your bring them up. I'll use them for you. It will be like you were there.
I could lend ya my Dynastar 4X4 ATV 8)
I love those rock skis. Cracked edges everywhere, no base, no edge on one side, but still plenty of camber after 150+ odd days on them. Those things are indestructible.

You want the fats or midfats this weekend? I'm not bringing both of them, trying to pack light.

B)
Pack Light.
Bring the mid-fat's. Have not tried them and I'm thinking of stepping up to 170's for the next purchase. The fats are a little too heavy in the bumps.
I'll pass on the 4X4's. I used mine a half day this year and put them back in the car. Not sure what to do with them now other than rockers.
Thanks dude! :wink:
Where is Happy Hour ?
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Re: Soft Big Bump Skis?

Post by Snowjob »

andyzee wrote:What's the length of those skis?
Hey Andyzee - I've been off the board busy with school and work. The Monsters are 170's.

Hey Doc, if you read this, how do you stay out of the troughs? It's such a natural line, and it's tough to stay balanced if you try and ski the sides.
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

DMC wrote:
SkiDork wrote:
G, whats the definition of a mid-fat?

That is bad! but funny.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Snowjob wrote:
Hey Andyzee - I've been off the board busy with school and work. The Monsters are 170's.

Hey Doc, if you read this, how do you stay out of the troughs? It's such a natural line, and it's tough to stay balanced if you try and ski the sides.
go over the bumps and down the back side, or edge the side into the trough and up the next side. when the bumps get BIG, you take air between them. Air is very smooth vs. going in and out of troughs. :D
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on Apr 19th, '05, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Sprite - I am surprised you don't have a dedicated bump ski yet!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

CAPBOY wrote:Sprite - I am surprised you don't have a dedicated bump ski yet!
Cappy, you know how I ski. You have any ideas on a replacement for my 9-18? Need a good edge, but fair in the bumps. pure bump skis suck on hard pack.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Dr. NO wrote:
Cappy, you know how I ski. You have any ideas on a replacement for my 9-18? Need a good edge, but fair in the bumps. pure bump skis suck on hard pack.
pure bump skis suck everywhere but in the bumps
ImageImageImageImage
massivslinky
Green Skidder

Post by massivslinky »

Dr. NO wrote:
Snowjob wrote:

go over the bumps and down the back side, or edge the side into the trough and up the next side. when the bumps get BIG, you take air between them. Air is very smooth vs. going in and out of troughs. :D
I can vouch for the deep trough not feeling too good. When I do it right, it's like the perfect golf swing, effortless and no bone jarring shock. Don't absorb it, and it nearly knocks the wind out of you and goes right up the spine.

I actually got going fast enough to start bouncing from bump to bump over the trough. It felt really cool. I use 170 Rossi Bandits and they work fine for me. However, I'm not so sure how much ski selection vs. proper technique matters. Until I learned to side slip without catching and edge, I couldn't get a consistent line without feeling something grab.

Practice short, quick turns on a groomed run and get it down. If you can't do it there, you won't be able to do it on the bumps. The advice about pushing down on the downside of the bump made all the difference for me. Before I hit the bumps, I spring a bit like I'm on a trampoline just to remind myself to stay loose actively work my way down instead of letting the bumps toss me around.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on Apr 19th, '05, 08:52, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

Dr. NO wrote:
Doc, I have given up on the notion that one can find complete happiness in one ski. Right now I have 3, not including my rockers.

1- K2 Cabrawlers - Bumps - I'm down to 169's on these, which are really like 165's.

2- Salomon Hots - Yes, I was able to replace the edge and put the base patch on these successfully. Wide enough that they are good in the pow. Stiff enough to law down an edge. These things get some speed, but really require legs in the bumps.

3- Rossi Scratch FS - These are the ultimate Spring ski. Nice in the bumps. Wide enough that they handle the Mash. They have a great edge, so they carve well on the hardpack. Just a little too soft to be an all around sk, though. You don't always want wicked speed on them and a bit too soft for crud.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

[quote="Snowjob"]What are people using for skis in the big bumps that are out there?

Metron B-5's Baby!
i aint no pussy!
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.