Question on AT equipment & backcountry skiing

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Snoprincess
Beginner On Rentals

Question on AT equipment & backcountry skiing

Post by Snoprincess »

So I'm new to this. My first backcountry ski trip planned tomorrow. (I've been told "even a average skiier can do this trail"). Turns out I can't find anyone in
Leb that rents AT packages. Great! Do I really need it? Aside from breaking my back carrying my boots.. And skiis on my back lol. If I really like backcountry and I'm sure I will. Is it best to just have AT binding put on the skiis I have now? Any advice would be appreciated
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Question on AT equipment & backcountry skiing

Post by Stormchaser »

Snoprincess wrote:So I'm new to this. My first backcountry ski trip planned tomorrow. (I've been told "even a average skiier can do this trail"). Turns out I can't find anyone in
Leb that rents AT packages. Great! Do I really need it? Aside from breaking my back carrying my boots.. And skiis on my back lol. If I really like backcountry and I'm sure I will. Is it best to just have AT binding put on the skiis I have now? Any advice would be appreciated
Seek out a pair of 'trekkers'. http://www.backcountryaccess.com/produc ... -trekkers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They adapt an alpine binding and allow you to skin with your regular skis and boots. Then you just need a set of skins for your skis.

If you like it, spring for a bc setup.
ImageImageImageImage
Devils Fiddle
Black Carver

Post by Devils Fiddle »

Trekkers get the job done and you can use your normal rig. Just add skins and you have basic rig. Carrying your boots and wearing snow shoes is a ton of work and totally inefficient and will cripple the group.
Terrapin Station
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Terrapin Station »

Devil's Fiddle is right. You will be a lot slower than the rest of your crew with snowshoes on lugging skis and boots on your back.

Trekkers are likely your best option now, but if you start doing AT more regularly you may want to think about hybrid AT bindings. I bought a set of Marker Barons, which flip between alpine and AT and will take with either an alpine or AT boot. Mount those on your current alpine skis, and you have the setup for AT, albeit a bit heavier. Shouldn't be an issue unless you're doing extended AT trips, where the weight becomes a factor.

http://markerusa.com.s177591.gridserver ... ing/baron/
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

+1 for the Barrons. Great binding you can drive like an alpine binding, it also works really well in walk mode. I haven't done anything too crazy with them, but enough to like havint the AT setup.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Terrapin Station
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Terrapin Station »

And lucky you, Powder just did a quick review on skins. I use the Black Diamond Ascensions.

http://www.powdermag.com/gear/junk-trun ... ing-skins/
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

You say your trip is tomorrow. If it's near Lincoln, NH you rent entire AT set up at Village Sports in Lincoln.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Snoprincess
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Snoprincess »

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of treckers and a crampon for a little extra. the article on different types of skins was helpful.
It's looking like I'm going to be riding solo. :-( great.

Thanks for the tip on The ski shop in Littleton. ill check it out. the trail is in warren off of Moosilauke . A nice 5 mile run. planning on a early start.