Science Rant, Not politics: Can CO2 cause "Climate Change?"

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Science Rant, Not politics: Can CO2 cause "Climate Chang

Post by rogman »

Mister Moose wrote:So its been 2 3/4 years since the start of this thread, and another (guessing) 2-3 years before that on the political board.

What's changed?

Perhaps the most vocal proponents of each side can sum up what has changed of significance in the last 5 years.

Anything?
Mister Moose, I'll put it in terms you might appreciate: you've gotten to sleep in more because there's been fewer powder days. Last time Killington reached it's nominal 250" average was 2010-2011. Over the 6 years since then the average snowfall has been 180 inches. Even ignoring that 81" outlier year, the average is still only 200 inches. I doubt it is a coincidence that 2016 and 2015 were the warmest years on record. 2017 is likely to crack the top 3 as well. Climate is changing, even right in Killington.
snowfall.JPG
snowfall.JPG (65.01 KiB) Viewed 552 times
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

rogman wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:So its been 2 3/4 years since the start of this thread, and another (guessing) 2-3 years before that on the political board.

What's changed?

Perhaps the most vocal proponents of each side can sum up what has changed of significance in the last 5 years.

Anything?
Mister Moose, I'll put it in terms you might appreciate: you've gotten to sleep in more because there's been fewer powder days. Last time Killington reached it's nominal 250" average was 2010-2011. Over the 6 years since then the average snowfall has been 180 inches. Even ignoring that 81" outlier year, the average is still only 200 inches. I doubt it is a coincidence that 2016 and 2015 were the warmest years on record. 2017 is likely to crack the top 3 as well. Climate is changing, even right in Killington.
The attachment snowfall.JPG is no longer available
The climate is always changing, like it was apparently doing back in the late 80's early 90's:
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.6 KiB) Viewed 541 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

rogman wrote:

What's changed?

Anything?
snowfall.JPG

we need a tax to fix this....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

throbster wrote:
The climate is always changing, like it was apparently doing back in the late 80's early 90's:
You sorta make Rogman's point here. Throw out the high and low data points from the 2010-2016 sample and the mean snowfall is about 200".

Mean snowfall for the 1987-1991 sample is about 218". So yeah, total snowfall on a year by year basis obviously changed (and always will), but the average snowfall decreased about 8% between those two periods.
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

Coydog wrote:
throbster wrote:
You sorta make Rogman's point here. Throw out the high and low data points from the 2010-2016 sample and the mean snowfall is about 200".

Mean snowfall for the 1987-1991 sample is about 218". So yeah, total snowfall on a year by year basis obviously changed (and always will), but the average snowfall decreased about 8% between those two periods.

Snowfall on Alaska mountains has doubled – climate change blamed

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/12/19/ ... ge-blamed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snowfall-alaska-mountains.jpg
snowfall-alaska-mountains.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 478 times
So... less snow is due to "Man-made Climate Change"

and.... MORE snow is due to "Man-made Climate Change"

Just amazing how versatile that magic CO2 molecule can be...even at PPM concentrations!!
Ski the edges!
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
Coydog wrote:
throbster wrote:

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/12/19/ ... ge-blamed/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just amazing how versatile that magic CO2 molecule can be...even at PPM concentrations!!
They've had to start the Iditarod in Fairbanks two of the last three years because of lack of snow down in Willow. They routinely have to truck in snow now for the ceremonial start in Anchorage. Overall, climate change has hit Alaska hard. Impacts include thawing permafrost, sea level rise, more and larger forest fires, and more extreme weather events. Immediate impacts are increased erosion and flooding along Alaska's coast. More than 30 Native villages are either in the process of or in need of relocating their entire village. But great, there's more snow in the mountains. :roll:
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

so permafrost is actually tempafrost .. :sad:
Forever .. Goat Path
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

rogman wrote:
Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
Coydog wrote:
throbster wrote:

They've had to start the Iditarod in Fairbanks two of the last three years because of lack of snow down in Willow. They routinely have to truck in snow now for the ceremonial start in Anchorage. Overall, climate change has hit Alaska hard. Impacts include thawing permafrost, sea level rise, more and larger forest fires, and more extreme weather events. Immediate impacts are increased erosion and flooding along Alaska's coast. More than 30 Native villages are either in the process of or in need of relocating their entire village. But great, there's more snow in the mountains. :roll:

I would agree that Alaska is one of the places with significant warming over the last couple decades...

but you were pointing out low snow totals at Killington as if it was somehow obviously due to CO2 (CAGW).

How does that same climate driver (CO2) cause MORE snow in the MOUNTAINS of Alaska but less snow at Killington??????

Just amazing stuff actually.

What CAN'T it do??
Ski the edges!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: What CAN'T it do??
It can't make the Snowdon Quad run any faster. Although it might help to drip a little more grease on Rogman.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
rogman wrote:
Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
Coydog wrote:
throbster wrote:

I would agree that Alaska is one of the places with significant warming over the last couple decades...

but you were pointing out low snow totals at Killington as if it was somehow obviously due to CO2 (CAGW).

How does that same climate driver (CO2) cause MORE snow in the MOUNTAINS of Alaska but less snow at Killington??????

What CAN'T it do??
I noticed this same phenomenon years ago at Stowe. While K was receding in season snowfall, stowe's snowfalls were increasing (per snow depth stake atop Mount Mansfield). Excess fringe moisture at frontal boundaries appeared to be inflating snowfalls at the highest elevations, where minor temperature increases are less impactful as they don't break the freezing mark. I'm pretty sure the discussion was in this thread somewhere about a hundred pages back or so. Not sure if this is still the case at Stowe...I'll look when I have a minute. As we all know, cold and snowfall are not equivalent.
ImageImageImageImage
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

25 Papers: Natural Forcing Explains Why The Globe’s Oceans Have Been Recently Warming AND Cooling
By Kenneth Richard on 18. December 2017

http://notrickszone.com/2017/12/18/25-p ... bFZGB.dpbs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Links to all referenced Peer-reviewed papers are linked in given in reference.

"In assessing the global-scale trends in near-surface (0-20 m) ocean temperatures between 1900 and 2010, Gouretski et al. (2012) determined that the world’s oceans warmed by about 1.1°C between 1900 and 1945 (~0.24°C per decade), but then only warmed by an additional net 0.3°C between 1945 and 2010 (~0.046°C per decade), including a cooling trend between 1945 and 1975."

The early 20th century warming was therefore about 4 to 5 times greater both in magnitude and rapidity as the post-1945 warming.

So…if ocean warming is due to increased release of CO2….why is it FASTER early in the last century when anthropogenic CO2 was minimal and SLOWER later when anthropogenic CO2 became significant??

Answer is….. we don’t know….but it seems UNLIKELY that anthropogenic atmospheric CO2 is a major driver of ocean warming.
World-Ocean-Heat-Content-0-20-m-and-0-400-m-Gouretski-2012.jpg
World-Ocean-Heat-Content-0-20-m-and-0-400-m-Gouretski-2012.jpg (169.03 KiB) Viewed 447 times
From: https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... g_networks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ski the edges!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Stormchaser wrote:I noticed this same phenomenon years ago at Stowe. While K was receding in season snowfall, stowe's snowfalls were increasing (per snow depth stake atop Mount Mansfield). Excess fringe moisture at frontal boundaries appeared to be inflating snowfalls at the highest elevations, where minor temperature increases are less impactful as they don't break the freezing mark. I'm pretty sure the discussion was in this thread somewhere about a hundred pages back or so. Not sure if this is still the case at Stowe...I'll look when I have a minute. As we all know, cold and snowfall are not equivalent.
EDIT: Turns out it was in a different thread... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37686&p=513434&hili ... ct#p513412
ImageImageImageImage
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: I would agree that Alaska is one of the places with significant warming over the last couple decades...

I was being snarky for the benefit of or perhaps at the expense of Mister Moose. However, it's called climate change for a reason. It is not inconsistent to expect more precipitation in some areas, and less in others. We seem to be getting the short end of the deal. Predicting the changes in weather patterns due to warming is inexact, however it doesn't invalidate the basic science. Our recent string of poor snow years may be a coincidence; correlation doesn't equal causation. However, that doesn't mean the two aren't correlated either. Lot of noise in that signal, you can always cherry pick and come up with any conclusion you like.
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

rogman wrote:
Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: I would agree that Alaska is one of the places with significant warming over the last couple decades...

I was being snarky for the benefit of or perhaps at the expense of Mister Moose. However, it's called climate change for a reason. (...'cause there really is no warming??) It is not inconsistent to expect more precipitation in some areas, and less in others.(can we predict which is which or is that somehow a limitation of this theory??) We seem to be getting the short end of the deal. Predicting the changes in weather patterns due to warming is inexact, however it doesn't invalidate the basic science. (Which says what exactly???? There will be warming and cooling ? Less snow and more snow? Droughts and floods?) Our recent string of poor snow years may be a coincidence; correlation doesn't equal causation. However, that doesn't mean the two aren't correlated either. Lot of noise in that signal, you can always cherry pick and come up with any conclusion you like.
well...I guess you wrote my reply for me...just need to highlight my agreement. (with a few extra comments)
Ski the edges!
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote: How does that same climate driver (CO2) cause MORE snow in the MOUNTAINS of Alaska but less snow at Killington??????

What CAN'T it do??
Let's see, increasing global temperatures lead to hotter air. Hotter air holds more moisture. More moisture means more snow in areas where it's still cold enough to snow but more r*in (i.e. less snow) where it's not. So around here, I would expect less snow than average at the beginning and end of the season (too warm for snow), but bigger storms mid season (more moisture and cold enough for snow).

In any case, I'm sure the good folks who run Killington believe that global warming is a hoax and have apportioned their resources accordingly.