Another media driven false narrative?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Dickc
Postaholic

Re: Another media driven false narrative?

Post by Dickc »

Geoff wrote:
Bubba wrote:
steamboat1 wrote:Not being racists but didn't these people learn back in the 60's-70's that looting & destroying their own neighborhoods isn't constructive?

Guess not.
There were riots in Ferguson in the 60s and 70s? Who are "these people"?
"These people" are our permanent underclass. I'm one of the KZone Political Discussions resident commie pinko fags but the Civil War ended 150 years ago. The LBJ welfare state handing that permanent underclass big piles of money didn't accomplish a thing. The Welfare Reform Act of 1996 that put a 5 year lifetime cap on cash handouts (the 'temporary' in TANF) didn't help. I give up. I think we should put a 5 year cap on Section 8 housing, slash the services provided by Medicaid by 50%, and stop giving cash encouragement to welfare recipients to have more children. Get an education. Learn American business English. Get a freakin' job.
YIKES!!!!!! Geoff sounding like a Blue Blood Dyed in the wool Conservative Republican!!!!!! :beat :cool :chill :Toast
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:USA Today reports Brown had THC in his system at the time of death.
OMG...the kid had smoked weed. Shoot him!
Just a very different narrative from the angelic/innocent law abiding citizen we heard about on day one. Has nothing to do with it was right to shoot this kid and I don't really care that he smoked weed. But I'm sick of hearing these talking heads and/or residents in this community talk about this kid like he's freaking MLK.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Different perspective from Jon Oliver, makes some good points.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/18/603 ... -monologue
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Hmmm, Looks like the police lied about the number of people arrested last night and where they were from. Also, it has been reported that there have not been many looters, only a small number of protesters were involved. But, from watching a couple of surveillance videos it looked like 30 or so in just one store. It is pathetic the police stood by and watched the stores being looted.

http://news.yahoo.com/jail-records-odds ... ories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

freeski wrote:Hmmm, Looks like the police lied about the number of people arrested last night and where they were from. Also, it has been reported that there have not been many looters, only a small number of protesters were involved. But, from watching a couple of surveillance videos it looked like 30 or so in just one store. It is pathetic the police stood by and watched the stores being looted.

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Eric Holder chiming in. Out of curiosity, anyone know the last time the AG weighed in on a local issue like this? Doesn't it set the precedence that the actions in Ferguson are what's needed for federal attention?
From Eric Holder: A message to the people of Ferguson
6 hours ago • by Eric H. Holder Jr.

Since the Aug. 9 shooting death of Michael Brown, the nation and the world have witnessed the unrest that has gripped Ferguson, Mo. At the core of these demonstrations is a demand for answers about the circumstances of this young man’s death and a broader concern about the state of our criminal justice system.

At a time when so much may seem uncertain, the people of Ferguson can have confidence that the Justice Department intends to learn — in a fair and thorough manner — exactly what happened.

Today, I will be in Ferguson to be briefed on the federal civil rights investigation that I have closely monitored since I launched it more than one week ago. I will meet personally with community leaders, FBI investigators and federal prosecutors from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to receive detailed briefings on the status of this case.

The full resources of the Department of Justice have been committed to the investigation into Michael Brown’s death. This inquiry will take time to complete, but we have already taken significant steps. Approximately 40 FBI agents and some of the Civil Rights Division’s most experienced prosecutors have been deployed to lead this process, with the assistance of the United States Attorney in St. Louis. Hundreds of people have already been interviewed in connection with this matter. On Monday, at my direction, a team of federal medical examiners conducted an independent autopsy.

We understand the need for an independent investigation, and we hope that the independence and thoroughness of our investigation will bring some measure of calm to the tensions in Ferguson. In order to begin the healing process, however, we must first see an end to the acts of violence in the streets of Ferguson. Although these acts have been committed by a very small minority — and, in many cases, by individuals from outside Ferguson — they seriously undermine, rather than advance, the cause of justice. And they interrupt the deeper conversation that the legitimate demonstrators are trying to advance.

The Justice Department will defend the right of protesters to peacefully demonstrate and for the media to cover a story that must be told. But violence cannot be condoned. I urge the citizens of Ferguson who have been peacefully exercising their First Amendment rights to join with law enforcement in condemning the actions of looters, vandals and others seeking to inflame tensions and sow discord.

Law enforcement has a role to play in reducing tensions, as well. As the brother of a retired law enforcement officer, I know firsthand that our men and women in uniform perform their duties in the face of tremendous threats and significant personal risk. They put their lives on the line every day, and they often have to make split-second decisions.

At the same time, good law enforcement requires forging bonds of trust between the police and the public. This trust is all-important, but it is also fragile. It requires that force be used in appropriate ways. Enforcement priorities and arrest patterns must not lead to disparate treatment under the law, even if such treatment is unintended. And police forces should reflect the diversity of the communities they serve.

Over the years, we have made significant progress in ensuring that this is the case. But progress is not an endpoint; it is a measure of effort and of commitment. Constructive dialogue should continue — but it must also be converted into concrete action. And it is painfully clear, in cities and circumstances across our great nation, that more progress, more dialogue, and more action is needed.

This is my pledge to the people of Ferguson: Our investigation into this matter will be full, it will be fair, and it will be independent. And beyond the investigation itself, we will work with the police, civil rights leaders, and members of the public to ensure that this tragedy can give rise to new understanding — and robust action — aimed at bridging persistent gaps between law enforcement officials and the communities we serve. Long after the events of Aug. 9 have receded from the headlines, the Justice Department will continue to stand with this community.

As we move forward together, I ask for the public’s cooperation and patience. And I urge anyone with information related to the shooting to contact the FBI by dialing 800-CALL-FBI, option 4.

Eric H. Holder Jr. is attorney general of the United States.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Eric Holder chiming in. Out of curiosity, anyone know the last time the AG weighed in on a local issue like this? Doesn't it set the precedence that the actions in Ferguson are what's needed for federal attention?
The Trayvon Martin and Rodney King cases were both looked into by the US AG's office, as were numerous cases dating back at least to the civil rights era of the 1960s. The AG's office looks into violations of a victim's civil rights. Being shot by the police does not automatically qualify as a violation but, rather, the shooting has to be shown to be an unreasonable act under the circumstances and be on the basis of race. If not, it stays a state prosecution if a prosecution at all.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Holder should be shown this video...maybe it will show him why the people are so pissed.

Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Below is an article which claims the kid punched the officer and broke his eye socket. It also claims there is evidence the kid tried to take the officer's weapon (most likely DNA on the gun). Also, the kid had his hands in the air to surrender, but then charged at the officer. If these are the facts presented to the Grand Jury they should not go forward in prosecuting the officer.

If the officer does not face a trial there will be a huge riot (according to community leaders). Better get the water cannons ready. :|

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/08/20/mi ... ys-source/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

no way?

http://therightscoop.com/report-key-wit ... er-wilson/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it remains to be seen if this is more hearsay or actual fact...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

shortski wrote:Holder should be shown this video...maybe it will show him why the people are so pissed.

Cop put on paid leave (vacation)!!!!!!!! Point a loaded firearm at anyone and see if you get a paid vacation. Badges don't grant special privileges.

Albers has been suspended without pay. He reportedly saw someone with the crowd with a BB gun, Jimenez told the Post-Dispatch.

Albers has three times before, including once last year, had on-duty disciplinary issues. He "got into it with a citizen and instead of just letting the conversation go, he chose to say some inappropriate things," Jimenez told the paper.

"This is his second time with the wrong choice of words," the chief said.

So if this cop now does go out and hurts or kill someone the taxpayers will be on the hook for a very large civil settlement. If you know there is a problem and ignore it, it's gross negligence, which brings in punitive damages.

http://mashable.com/2014/08/20/police-o ... -main-link" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

If police shooting unarmed blacks is such a large problem then you would think they could find a better shooting for a rallying cry. The more information comes out in the Ferguson shooting the more it looks like the police officer was justified. Holder looks kind of silly standing up for a proven violent thug. I think there are still problems with police unfairly targeting young black men, but using this instance to rally around seems to just aggravate the idea that young black men deserve scrutiny because they are prone to violence.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

As was Expected:

Star Witness In Michael Brown Shooting Charged With Theft, Filing False Police Report

"Dorian Johnson, the primary witness to the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, has an outstanding warrant for a 2011 theft in Jefferson City and pleaded guilty for filing a false police report related to that theft."

http://www.ijreview.com/2014/08/170048- ... ce-report/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

steamboat1 wrote:Not being racists but didn't these people learn back in the 60's-70's that looting & destroying their own neighborhoods isn't constructive?

Guess not.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Don't expect citizens of Ferguson, who rallied around the perpetrator and destroyed their town, to apologize. Also, don't look for Holder or Obama to issue statements condemning their own rush to judgment.

This snippet from the article was surprising:
According to the Washington Post, “a half-dozen unnamed black witnesses” have provided testimony to the grand jury that supports Wilson’s version of events. Brown’s blood was found on the gun, on Wilson’s uniform and spattered on an inside door panel of the car, according to the New York Times. Other witnesses have provided divergent accounts of the incident, alleging that Brown was shot with his hands in the air or while fleeing. Protesters pictured with their hands-up became one of the iconic images of the unrest that wracked Ferguson in the weeks after Brown’s death.
http://time.com/3534140/ferguson-michae ... stigation/