cheesesteaks..

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I don't know - I gone to Philly many times in search of a great cheesesteak and was sorely disappointed. Up and down South I have wandered, to no avail. While they may well have invented the art, others have taken it further - you can get a better sandwitch in Baltimore of all places and there is nothing to brag about there cheesesteak-wise.

Best cheesesteak on earth are in Alexandria, VA a place called Al's Steak House.

http://www.bestcheesesteaks.com/cheesesteaks/va.htm
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

The best cheesesteak I had in Philly was at Veterans Stadium when I was there for a concert (so good I had 2). Or, maybe it was because I was wasted and really hungry.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

I think I'll make cheesesteaks for dinner tonight
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

Pat's and Geno's both suck. Anybody can open up a can of Kraft Cheese Wiz and fry/steam up some crappy meat and onions. And the fries at both places suck too. I've had better cheesesteaks at the Philadelphia Cheesesteak chain at the mall.

Whenever I tell that to people who think Pat's or Geno's is the sh*t, their reply is always, "Well its great after a night of drinking". Well ramen noodles is great after a night of drinking too, but I ain't driving to Philly for f***' ramen.

C'mon locals give up the secrets.

Best cheesesteaks I've had were at the Jersey shore on LBI - and that cheese sauce just rocks. mmm...Cheesesteak hoagie. Can get a decent Steak and Cheese at a local greek pizza joint here in MA, but no cheese sauce.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

Big John's in Cherry Hill and Philly's Phatties in Oaklyn.

Can you take any steak place seriously when it's full with tourists who smother the steak in Cheez Whiz? Geno's and Pat's are the worst, and both are indistinguishable. Steve's Prince is wayyy overpriced for what you get.
shortski
:dis
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

robrules wrote:Pat's and Geno's both suck. Anybody can open up a can of Kraft Cheese Wiz and fry/steam up some crappy meat and onions. And the fries at both places suck too. I've had better cheesesteaks at the Philadelphia Cheesesteak chain at the mall.

Whenever I tell that to people who think Pat's or Geno's is the sh*t, their reply is always, "Well its great after a night of drinking". Well ramen noodles is great after a night of drinking too, but I ain't driving to Philly for f***' ramen.

Best cheesesteaks I've had were at the Jersey shore on LBI - and that cheese sauce just rocks. mmm...Cheesesteak hoagie. Can get a decent Steak and Cheese at a local greek pizza joint here in MA, but no cheese sauce.
I had a pretty good cheesesteak at the Rat at Hofstra back in 78

It's been w while, though....
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

Is John's the place on South Street? If so, I've had them at John's and Pat's.

I also agree with my fellow chatters who say those aren't even that great! I've had much better cheese steaks in Trenton, New Jersey.

Even the Boston variation (the Steak Bomb) is better than what I got in Philly, and let me tell you, Boston generally is not good for subs!
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

robrules wrote:Pat's and Geno's both suck. Anybody can open up a can of Kraft Cheese Wiz and fry/steam up some crappy meat and onions. And the fries at both places suck too. I've had better cheesesteaks at the Philadelphia Cheesesteak chain at the mall.

agree..I was typing while you were typing...

where on LBI? I have a home there, but never found any decent pizza or subs...
shortski
:dis
kickstand
Blue Chatterbox

Post by kickstand »

if anyone ever handed me a cheesesteak with Cheese Whiz, I'd just as soon whiz on it because I wouldn't eat that crap. Freakin tourist traps.

my in-laws took me to a place somewhere out in the middle of Buck's County (not sure which town) called Sal's. Pretty good steak subs, but the roll took some getting used to. I thought they were rather firm. The place I've always gotten steak subs from uses much softer rolls. Just personal preference.

But I do like going to Sal's because they're all Eagles fans. Way too much fun for Pats fans....
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:Big John's in Cherry Hill and Philly's Phatties in Oaklyn.
Looooooove Big Johns steaks. Passed it last weekend, my mouth started watering. My family would make trips up there when I was a kid and I would get the cheese steak with pepperoni.
Mmmmmmm, grease.....

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

KBL Ed wrote:Is John's the place on South Street?
Correct. That's probably the best out of the three. But Big John's in Cherry Hill is much better.

Damn, I gotta get me a fix now :evil:

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

These cheesesteaks only inspire me to produce a large "biosolid" anyway.
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
robrules wrote:P.
agree..I was typing while you were typing...

where on LBI? I have a home there, but never found any decent pizza or subs...
I don't remember the name, but I'm pretty sure it was within a couple of blocks of 21 st on LB blvd. in surf city - on the left if you're going north. I used to stay at a friend's place once in a while in that neihborhood and we would walk to it. When I looked for a pizza joint on LBI, I came up with the name Panzone's that seemed familiar but that is further down. I remeber it has some bright lighting around the building. Sorry I don't remember the details, but I bet I could drive right to it.
Colonel
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Colonel »

I prefer Joe's in Center City. Those South Philly places suck.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

my mother is in town from california - so alex and i are going on a brief vacation from rufus, and since i've got plans for sunday, we've only got 1 night.

so we decided on philadelphia.. because i've got a hotel special there. and diet or no diet, i am going to try a real philly cheessteak. it won't kill me. besides, on sunday i'm running a in a 5k.

eski, i'm going tomorrow night, and returning saturday night.

now, i am really perplexed here. how the hell does a food item become famous if it's made from freakin' cheese whiz??