Someone finally got mangled on crappy K road...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RENO
Whipping Post

Someone finally got mangled on crappy K road...

Post by RENO »

Knew it was a matter of time before someone got seriously injured on that mess up and down Killington Road. :? We must've just missed the accident as we got up early Aug 31st and didn't see anything at that spot. To put on a bike rally with the road such a mess was ridiculous also. Can't imagine it was fun driving a bike up and down K road. Surprised there weren't more accidents. That bump this guy hit is not a bump, but a crater! If you don't pay attention even in a car you'll snap an axle. K resort was asked about the upper portion that they own and they indicated they are not repaving the road because they think it's a waste of money because of the work that may be needed to reroute it due to the village. Village? You mean the village that hasn't even been approved and probably won't ever be. Ridiculous! They will only be patching it up soon. You expect people to come to your resort and spend thousands of dollars and you can't even pave the stupid road? Amazing...

http://mountaintimes.info/bad-road-cond ... -accident/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Re: Someone finally got mangled on crappy K road...

Post by CAPBOY »

I feel for the guy. Roads all through the northeast are a disaster, it's not just killington.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

That particular spot has been a potential death trap for bikers for some time and dangerous for autos as well. The resort has known about this problem for well over a year and their excuse for not doing significant work has been the eventual redesign of the road for the village as well as the cost when other needs are pressing, although they've been saying during this period that they'd be doing minor repairs. Maybe they should've taken into account the cost of a lawsuit where the degree of insurance coverage may hinge on whether the resort is negligent, grossly negligent, or worse.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
kram
Green Skidder

Post by kram »

i find it laughable to call it a bump... its a CRATER and its growing deeper weekly. with ski season just over a month from now something has to be done immediately!!
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

I believe it was last year Sugarbush (at their own expense) repaved the road going up to Mt. Ellen including through the parking area to the base lodge.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

K was warned about the bad road conditions. I sent Mike S an email about it. The worst one I thought was when you are heading down the access road from KBL. Across from the clinic there is a 6 foot stretch of recessed pavement. I would always slow way down for it and would routinely see cars launched because of it with their gear and other contents in the car thrown up in the air. I thought it was asking for trouble for a long time.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

GSKI wrote:K was warned about the bad road conditions. I sent Mike S an email about it. The worst one I thought was when you are heading down the access road from KBL. Across from the clinic there is a 6 foot stretch of recessed pavement. I would always slow way down for it and would routinely see cars launched because of it with their gear and other contents in the car thrown up in the air. I thought it was asking for trouble for a long time.
That dip was a washout trench. I believe they have repaired it several times only to have it settle again. Another great one that has been repaired several times is the Vale access road just past the last parking are heading to KBL. I've seen buses smack the road because of it.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I had $625 in suspension repairs on my SUV in May that I mostly attribute to the Killington Access Road crevasse. Given all the complaints about the road from the town that are in the public record, I'd think the resort faces a gross negligence lawsuit that they have no shot of winning.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Geoff wrote:I had $625 in suspension repairs on my SUV in May that I mostly attribute to the Killington Access Road crevasse. Given all the complaints about the road from the town that are in the public record, I'd think the resort faces a gross negligence lawsuit that they have no shot of winning.
They could've easily at least patched that crater up for a few hundred $'s to get them through the summer and fall until they did final repairs on the whole road. Now they definitely have to pay out to the biker at least. No way he's just gonna go on his merry way and say 'sh*t happens'...
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

RENO wrote:
Geoff wrote:I had $625 in suspension repairs on my SUV in May that I mostly attribute to the Killington Access Road crevasse. Given all the complaints about the road from the town that are in the public record, I'd think the resort faces a gross negligence lawsuit that they have no shot of winning.
They could've easily at least patched that crater up for a few hundred $'s to get them through the summer and fall until they did final repairs on the whole road. Now their insurance carrier will definitely have to pay out to the biker at least. No way he's just gonna go on his merry way and say 'sh*t happens'...
Fixed it for you.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

When I was in town a few weeks back, there was a sign saying it was going to be paved this season. I also heard that the paving contractors were buried with work and the were behind schedule, so it was delayed. NH added an extra 500 miles of rod paving this season after the 4c gas tax was passed. The mix for West hill road was hauled out of Lebanon, NH by Pike Industries who paved the road.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

The bump that caused the accident was created last fall during the sewer line replacement project. Road has settled a good amount in that spot after that was completed. Watched Mike dodging the potholes running the access road salmon course the other night. He does know where bad spots are and was quite skillful at avoiding them.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Stay to the right in each direction and it's not a big deal.

Stay in the center and your case of beer in the back of your car will hit the head liner...

Why not just fix this one spot for now? Then is could be a speed hump.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Andy J
Black Carver

Post by Andy J »

...FYI

That's called a Grenada.

https://soundcloud.com/josiah-bayne/you-are-a-grenada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Knut
Bumper

Post by Knut »

Kind of reminds me of the Ho Chi Menh Trail.