Cheap NJ gas

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Borgy, my brother lives right up Teaneck Rd. from that station in Bergenfield.

As for whether "gas is gas"....yes, gas is gas when it's delivered to the stations. However, many of the majors then put in additives that may or may not be useful or worth paying extra for. I tend to buy Mobil, Exxon or Shell based on the credit cards I carry in my wallet, however, I'll buy others or off brand when there's a big enough price difference and if they take Amex.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

I am going to take the GW Bridge to 4/17 on the way up, just to stop for NJ gas, (and eats)
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

you're all spoiled... try driving around in Nor Cal when reg. is $2.90+ , and you're only getting single digit mialage numbers! :roll:
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

another $1.95 per gal. service station.
the "Delta" on RT-23S in west milford, RT-23S & Green Pond Road.
Dang mouse, thats a lot of cash 4 gas.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

yea, they want the cops to start driving toyota priuses. HAHA, i'll keep my fingers crossed.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Cheap Gas? NOT!

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

borgy wrote:Man-- Gas is cheap in Wayne---- would cost me the amount I save to drive out there though- I'll take the $1.97.

Thanks for the links Sprite. :D
I'd probably stay away from the Cheap Gas in Wayne, it's probably because their underground storage tanks got flooded with lots of water and it isn't pure... I'd stay away from the flood zone areas after all that r*in they had... if your car still runs great after using a tank, go for it... JMHO... Use to work for Groundwater & Environmentals Services in NJ and while there you hear a lot of stuff, but like I always say, if something looks too good to be true... it usually is!
Have a great day!
Bling Skier
Postinator

Re: Cheap Gas? NOT!

Post by Bling Skier »

Stormin_Aussie wrote:
borgy wrote:Man-- Gas is cheap in Wayne---- would cost me the amount I save to drive out there though- I'll take the $1.97.

I'd probably stay away from the Cheap Gas in Wayne, it's probably because their underground storage tanks got flooded with lots of water and it isn't pure... I'd stay away from the flood zone areas after all that r*in they had... if your car still runs great after using a tank, go for it... JMHO... Use to work for Groundwater & Environmentals Services in NJ and while there you hear a lot of stuff, but like I always say, if something looks too good to be true... it usually is!
Have a great day!
huuum...with todays fiberglass tanks water infiltration is a non isue.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

Bling Skier wrote:
Stormin_Aussie wrote:

Have a great day!
Yeah, all gas stations in NJ were required to replace their tanks by 2000 or 2001 or else shut down.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

Ski-N-Sail wrote:
Bling Skier wrote:
Stormin_Aussie wrote:

Have a great day!
Yeah, all gas stations in NJ were required to replace their tanks by 2000 or 2001 or else shut down.
Yeah, I know, those were the years that the Environmental Business was booming! :D But, things are not always what they seem... $$$ can make inspectors and other higher ups look the other way... I am sure you know that, but none of us like to believe it... but let's face it, unfortunately, this is the real world. I know that $$$ changes hands to help people look the other way. Sorry, but true, $$$ wins sometimes :(

Hey, if your car works on the gas you are buying that's what matters! :D
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

1.99 on route 70 last night :D
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

borgy wrote:
RossiSkier wrote:Wow! Load up. Gas in the beautiful capital district is about $2.25. Thank goodness my Saturn is about 28 miles to the gallon. I have a Coleman lamp that burns more.
I should fill up a few containers for the ride home-- :lol:

I'm moving your neck of the woods this fall probably closer to Saratoga--- I'm gonna miss cheap NJ gas-- :cry:
Borgy did you get a new job or are they relocating you too?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

From my experience, a lot of fuel is just a commodity. But that said, there are minor differences. Name brands like Exxon's quality control of their dealers and their stations is much higher than the off brands. And a customer who was a Shell Oil (automotive) dealer and owned 5 stations told me gas is gas as far as regular and mid range is concerned. Premium fuel is strictly an in house affair, with proprietary additives. Most of us don't need that octane, so it doesn't matter.

The minor differences are how often filters are changed, how well lit the area is, credit card programs, etc. The gas is gas.

Back in the days of Mom and Pop gas stations, old fuel, or water in the fuel was a larger issue. Today, not only are the tanks better, but the stations that survive do over 100,000 gallons a month. No chance to get old fuel anymore.

Dr NO, Portland Hess, Mobil and CF Gulf are very low, as are Hess and Citgo on the Berlin Tpke in Newington.

My personal favorite for the year was the Hess in Northampton, MA. 15 cents less than anywhere in CT, plus 10% off if you got their new credit card, plus a de riguer visit to Steve's for the best ice cream anywhere. Steve's really takes the edge off the drive.
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

borgy wrote: I'm moving your neck of the woods this fall probably closer to Saratoga--- I'm gonna miss cheap NJ gas-- :cry:
I just caught this borgy. You moving to Clifton Park of something?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Mister Moose said "Dr NO, Portland Hess, Mobil and CF Gulf are very low, as are Hess and Citgo on the Berlin Tpke in Newington. "

I stop at the Newington Citgos, one South by Mcy D's and the other North by Home Depot, if I am on that side of the river. Glastonbury is still cheaper where FS buys for her Jeep.

In MA, heading North on 5 in West Springfield, there is a Citgo just past all the car dealers. Always Cheap Cheap.

But, I have a company car and gas card. If I need gas, I look for the less expensive, but not too hard.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

ahhh months ago i had a ping when i was working the V8 (doing some work w/ the truck) so i switched to higher octain for just that tank full...... All that cleaner sh*t additives stripped the 30 years of gunk out'a my tank and ended up clogging my fuel line, last time i got anything other then regular. :roll: