New England Patriots

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Dickc
Postaholic

Re: New England Patriots

Post by Dickc »

Bubba wrote:Meanwhile, none other than Don Shula calls Bill Belichick "Beli-cheat". :lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eli-cheat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am SO tired of hearing about the '72 Dolphins. I hope some team really soon goes 19-0 and the talk will finally stop. Shula is still Pissed he had to wait until the last minute of that Superbowl to open his champagne.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dickc wrote:
Bubba wrote:Meanwhile, none other than Don Shula calls Bill Belichick "Beli-cheat". :lol:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... eli-cheat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am SO tired of hearing about the '72 Dolphins. I hope some team really soon goes 19-0 and the talk will finally stop. Shula is still Pissed he had to wait until the last minute of that Superbowl to open his champagne.
Funny thing is the Pats actually won more games than the Fish that year, just lost the final one.

But that's why they play the games.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Beyond indignant, Shula may also be jealous of the Belichick family's tradition of achievement :idea:

David Shula -- Shula, Don Shula's son, is proof that sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree. So far that the apple can then also roll down a muddy hill, and then across a ditch and onto a road, where it is run over by a steamroller and a marching band, its splattered chunks rotting in the sun as they are picked at by vermin. That was David Shula's NFL coaching tenure. Hired by the Bengals at age 33 in 1992, he coached four and a half seasons and finished 19-52. This is the official pose of his NFL coaching career. He is now a steakhouse executive.
Credit ESPN sports nation

Garo Yepremian pass ... Shula's all-time favorite play :banana:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

freeski wrote:It's not too late for you NY guys to jump on the bandwagon. Especially the ones now living in VT who should rightfully be Pats fans anyway.
Too late as growing up in Ct. we would channel flip off the Giants to check on my back-up favorite team. There are many native Giants fans here in Vermont as they were the only football choice on the TV for years. Love to wear my Giants hat with a Pats shirt when going to games at Foxboro.

Snowplow fieldgoal by Pats kicker John Smith ... Shula's least favorite play.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Wow, that was a great game. Closer than it had to be. Taking a knee three times and then punting with 14 seconds left? At any rate, that was a great game. :Toast
th[3].jpg
th[3].jpg (5.65 KiB) Viewed 2209 times
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

By a c-hair 8)

Edelman is an animal
Highest QB rating in Pro history
1-1 51 1TD 158.3

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Keep hearing "the play" was a flea flicker even from announcers. it wasn't. It was a half back pass. When you run a flea flicker the ball ends up in the quarterback's hands for the throw. Still can't believe there was not better clock management at the end of the game. A blocked punt, a run back or a Hail Mary and they would have lost. What a game though.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Good editorial by Boston Sports writer Steve Buckley about Belichick. Mentions Shula.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/colu ... foes_heads
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

freeski wrote:Keep hearing "the play" was a flea flicker even from announcers. it wasn't. It was a half back pass.
It's not a halfback pass, either. Edelman isn't a halfback and was lined up as a wide receiver. I guess you'd call it something like a wide receiver lateral-pass or a flanker double pass.

I remember sitting at the Sushi Yoshi bar with Rogman the Friday after all that December snow when his power was out. He was saying something about the Patriots easily beating all the AFC playoff teams. I commented that the Pats always struggle with Ravens and that was the team that scared me. The guy on the other side of me said "thanks for saying that". I asked if he was from Baltimore. Yep.

I thought I was looking at the 3rd ugly home playoff defeat to the Ravens in the last 5 years. Baltimore out-played the Patriots. Belichick pulled a rabbit out of his hat. His only coaching screw-up was not running three time-consuming plays at the end of the game. 5 seconds of running around per play and the game would have been over with no punt and no Hail Mary pass.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Geoff wrote:It's not a halfback pass, either. Edelman isn't a halfback and was lined up as a wide receiver. I guess you'd call it something like a wide receiver lateral-pass or a flanker double pass.
You're correct. "Flanker Double Pass" I've never hear that term. Flanker double pass, yep I like it.

Pats were lucky to win. Flacco has an absolute cannon for an arm and was accurate for most of the game. I hope they don't play from behind with the colts. Facing another good QB. Home field advantage this time of year is priceless.

Go Patriots! 8)
wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

Is this all over the Bill Belicheat comment. Well he did tape other teams practices! Facts are Facts!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

wanderer7453 wrote:Is this all over the Bill Belicheat comment. Well he did tape other teams practices! Facts are Facts!
And so did everyone else...and guess what, everyone still does. Your videographer just needs to sit in the stands, and cannot be on the sideline. Grow up.
ImageImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Stormchaser wrote:
wanderer7453 wrote:Is this all over the Bill Belicheat comment. Well he did tape other teams practices! Facts are Facts!
And so did everyone else...and guess what, everyone still does. Your videographer just needs to sit in the stands, and cannot be on the sideline. Grow up.
You are obviously confusing him by letting the facts get in the way of his argument.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

After more thought "Flanker Lateral Pass". You need to have the word lateral in there.
wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

Stormchaser wrote:
he was fined. period found guilty period

can't stand the facts huh