NSR. Grateful Dead

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

junior
Signature Poster

Re: NSR. Grateful Dead

Post by junior »

Ok GIS and Haf, we will start with 1977, and once all those are done, I will branch out into some of the Europe 72 tour, some 1978-79, then some mid 80's with a bunch of 87 thrown in for good measure.

We will conclude with the last great GD tour, which IMO is 1990, especially the Spring.

Once the holidaze are over and I'm back at the office on the 6th, we will discuss what medium to use (flash drives, cards, CD's, etc).

Chat then,

Jr
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

junior wrote:Ok GIS and Haf, we will start with 1977, and once all those are done, I will branch out into some of the Europe 72 tour, some 1978-79, then some mid 80's with a bunch of 87 thrown in for good measure.

We will conclude with the last great GD tour, which IMO is 1990, especially the Spring.

Once the holidaze are over and I'm back at the office on the 6th, we will discuss what medium to use (flash drives, cards, CD's, etc).

Chat then, Jr
damn you could be burning hundreds of cds ... guessing i have a couple hundred shows but at this point hard to justify ownership of anything else. if i want to hear something i just visit archive.org. maybe not the most pristine versions but pretty damn good.

you should probably conclude with the sept '90 msg run. vince sux but hornsby certainly inspired jerry.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

skiadikt wrote:
junior wrote:Ok GIS and Haf, we will start with 1977, and once all those are done, I will branch out into some of the Europe 72 tour, some 1978-79, then some mid 80's with a bunch of 87 thrown in for good measure.

Chat then, Jr
damn you could be burning hundreds of cds ... guessing i have a couple hundred shows but at this point hard to justify ownership of anything else. if i want to hear something i just visit archive.org. maybe not the most pristine versions but pretty damn good.

you should probably conclude with the sept '90 msg run. vince sux but hornsby certainly inspired jerry.
That was the 9 show run, yes? I was at all of them. I danced for 18 sets and 9 encores followed by a trip to Wetlands every night post show (remember that place at the end of Houston-or Canal) until the sun came up.

My apartment on 84th and 1st became Dead Central for those 2 weeks. Had about 20 of my Head friends from around the country staying with us during that time, and it was only a 3 bedroom apartment. We actually burnt 2 holes into the parquet floors with nitrous tanks. Crazy times for sure.

If I remember correctly, and I may not, those 9 were followed by 3 in Philly. The 2nd of those 3 was when they broke out Unbroken Chain for the 1st time ever. I think it closed the first set. The place bugged out.

Amazing that I can remember those shows as if they were yesterday, but I have no idea what I ate for breakfast 4 hours ago.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

junior wrote:My apartment on 84th and 1st
Hi ya neighbor. I used to live on 84th between 2nd & 3rd. Still own the co-op but haven't lived there for quite some time.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

steamboat1 wrote:
junior wrote:My apartment on 84th and 1st
Hi ya neighbor. I used to live on 84th between 2nd & 3rd. Still own the co-op but haven't lived there for quite some time.
Were you one of the folks that showed up at my place with empty balloons during that 9 show run?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

junior wrote:
That was the 9 show run, yes? I was at all of them. I danced for 18 sets and 9 encores followed by a trip to Wetlands every night post show (remember that place at the end of Houston-or Canal) until the sun came up.

My apartment on 84th and 1st became Dead Central for those 2 weeks. Had about 20 of my Head friends from around the country staying with us during that time, and it was only a 3 bedroom apartment. We actually burnt 2 holes into the parquet floors with nitrous tanks. Crazy times for sure.

If I remember correctly, and I may not, those 9 were followed by 3 in Philly. The 2nd of those 3 was when they broke out Unbroken Chain for the 1st time ever. I think it closed the first set. The place bugged out.

Amazing that I can remember those shows as if they were yesterday, but I have no idea what I ate for breakfast 4 hours ago.
Such a rebel !
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

junior wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Chat then, Jr

Sorry, wrong tour for Unbroken Chain.
Anyway, still overrated cover band. Why didn't Robert Wier just become a back-up singer for Bob Dylan as Dylan songs were about all he sang or songs that tried to be Dylan. ?
Ron Paul 2012
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

St. Jerry wrote:
junior wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Chat then, Jr

Anyway, still overrated cover band. Why didn't Robert Wier just become a back-up singer for Bob Dylan as Dylan songs were about all he sang or songs that tried to be Dylan. ?
What tour was it? I know it was the 2nd of 3 in Philly and it closed the 1st set that night.

What tour was it SJ?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

junior wrote:
St. Jerry wrote:
junior wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Chat then, Jr

What tour was it? I know it was the 2nd of 3 in Philly and it closed the 1st set that night.

What tour was it SJ?
a quick check in deadbase says it was philadelphia 3/19/95. was the 3rd show in philly and yes, did close the 1st set. had actually thought they had played it live before then. i have some remembrance of having a live version, think it was a soundcheck from '74 on a cassette.

didn't see them but those '95 shows were pretty sad. other than a few moments of inspiration, jerry was done ...
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Guess I was a few tours off. Bad bad bad deadhead!!! No doses for you!! Come back 1 year.

Having trouble posting the youtube link. Help?

Find it hard to believe I was 5 years off. Guess I was.

Listen to the crowd as they begin to realize what song it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgLogJIZPwA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ImageImageImageImage
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Junior what is your thought on "midi era" (e.g. late 80s early 90s) Jerry? I realize that from a technical standpoint there are stronger years of playing, but I thought when it was good it was really good.

This might be because I was turned onto the Dead with the "live without a net" double album.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Junior what is your thought on "midi era" (e.g. late 80s early 90s) Jerry? I realize that from a technical standpoint there are stronger years of playing, but I thought when it was good it was really good.

This might be because I was turned onto the Dead with the "live without a net" double album.
my 1st show was 2/11/69 when they opened for janis. show since has been released. i remember being a bit confused because pig sang most of the songs which i didn't expect. for the hey jude encore, he actually read the lyrics from the sheet music.

as for the midi era, i always preferred jerry's cleaner sound. 73-'74 was amazing. listen to the eyes from the dead movie. some of his best playing ever. in those later midi years, when he would switch to different sounds in the middle of a solo, to me it seemed like he ran out of things to say so he changed the sound. or maybe he thought it was cool effect. wow it sounds like a flute. also never cared for his increased use of distortion later in his career. seemed like a crutch. i'm one of those rare guitarists w/o a pedal board. i'm a guy who prefers fingers on strings ...
pepperdawg
Black Carver

Post by pepperdawg »

What ever happened to DMC? Was he banned along with da DIS?

Didnt the kick short skis ass or something? vaguely remember some sort of conflict?
-Woof
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

pepperdawg wrote:What ever happened to DMC? Was he banned along with da DIS?

Didnt the kick short skis ass or something? vaguely remember some sort of conflict?
He's still here.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe