NSR. Grateful Dead

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

steamboat1
Post Office

Re: NSR. Grateful Dead

Post by steamboat1 »

pepperdawg wrote:What ever happened to DMC? Was he banned along with da DIS?
I know he uses a new user name on another site he frequents. Maybe he did the same thing here.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Junior what is your thought on "midi era" (e.g. late 80s early 90s) Jerry? I realize that from a technical standpoint there are stronger years of playing, but I thought when it was good it was really good.

This might be because I was turned onto the Dead with the "live without a net" double album.
Love the Eyes from Without a Net with Branford. Sick chit for sure. Same for the Help-Slip-Franks and China-Rider from the same release.

If I had to narrow it down to a specific tour, I would say spring 1977 with summer/fall of the same year a very close (if not equal) second. Just to be clear, I saw my first show in 1977. I was 13. I had no idea who the Grateful Dead were. I was pretty much listening to my dad's Beatles albums at that age, and that's pretty much all I knew about music. My neighbors dragged me to a show in Pittsburgh I think, or maybe St. Louis. They were in their late teens, and I was shocked that my parents let me go, but they did. Maybe none of this would have ever happened for me if I didn't go to that concert (yes, I called them concerts back then, not Dead Shows).

If I had to narrow it down to a specific year, I would say 1977 hands down, with 1972 and 1990 a close tie for second. I think things changed very dramatically and the band took on a new direction when Brent died, and it was a direction that grabbed a hold of me and never let go. That's why I am throwing 1990 in there as my 2nd favorite year (along with 1972).

There were on and off tours through the 80's that I loved and hated depending on the year and the tour, but I can honestly say nothing in the 1980's stands out as a stellar tour or year, even though I loved going to those shows. I was at many of them, and still and listen to them constantly.

1994-1995 was a mess as Jerry was dying and we all knew it. First he couldn't remember his words, then he couldn't remember his chords, then he couldn't remember his name. At that point, we all knew what was coming, it was was just a matter of when. Guess you can't do drugs every day for 40 years and be ok. There were bad things that also began happening on the tours with the heads themselves. The crowds and heads themselves seemed to change towards the end. Not a change for the better. The vibe seemed different, and different in a bad way. There were incidents in St Louis at the campgrounds as well as Deer Creek when fences came down and heads trampled each other to get into the show for free. This was not what we were used to. We didn't like it at all.

I swore to myself at that point that I would continue to follow and tour around with the band until the very end, as bad as it may have gotten, and that's just what I did. Even though the shows were not great, I'm so glad I made it to Soldier Field to end the summer of 95 tour. Turned out to be the the real end, not just the end of the tour.

When I first met my wife in 1990, I tried to get her into it, the touring and partying, and all of it. She didn't really get it but she did do about 25 shows with me right up to the end. With the Dead, you either got it or you didn't. Very little middle ground.

I remember when Jerry died, I was a mess, as were many of my close head friends as we finally realized that a great chapter in our lives had just ended. Was not easy to let go, but what choice did we have? I remember thinking it couldn't really be over, could it?, but it really was over. Not easy to accept.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) was with me the night he died. The next day, we walked to the middle of the 59th Street Bridge and threw roses into the East River. I remember her asking me what I would do if he was still alive and I got the chance to meet him. I think she was just trying to calm me down and really didn't know how to stop my crying. I told her I would just shake his hand and say "thank you". We never really spoke about him after that. Was indeed a long, strange trip. Once in a while, I feel like I'm still on that journey. Not often, but once in a while. Maybe even right now while I write about those days.

Thinking about burning all these shows for you guys has really got me thinking about those great days, and weeks, and months and years I spent following that band around the world. Gonna be fun to start burning shows again. I'm really looking forward to it. Back in the day, we used to trade tapes of shows with all the heads at the shows. "I got Monday night, anyone got last Friday to trade for it?"

Indeed, what a long strange trip. Anyone who wants copies of the shows I'm gonna burn, just say the word. My treat. Just say the word. I'll pick up any costs involved. Postage, disc, etc. My treat. Just say the word. Like I said in an earlier post, we'll start with 1977 and go from there. I guess the journey continues still............................................
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

One of the best shows I ever saw was the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and Papa John Creech together at the Fillmore East on a Monday night in October 1970, about 3 weeks after the death of Jimi Hendrix. Couple of my college roommates were at the Fillmore on Saturday night for some unrelated event, at which time they announced the special show on Monday evening. My roommates got on line for tickets as soon as the show they were at ended and bought 5th row center seats for the Monday night Dead/Airplane/Papa John show. We all drove back into the city from Stony Brook on Monday afternoon. Show started at 8:00 PM and ended at around 4:00 AM at which time we drove back out to school. Unbelievable show! To this day, it doesn't appear on the Fillmore calendar of shows for 1970.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

junior wrote: I remember when Jerry died, I was a mess, as were many of my close head friends as we finally realized that a great chapter in our lives had just ended. Was not easy to let go, but what choice did we have? I remember thinking it couldn't really be over, could it?, but it really was over. Not easy to accept.
Still have tickets for the September 1995 Boston Garden shows. Never got to use 'em and now both are gone.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

junior wrote:Once the holidaze are over and I'm back at the office on the 6th, we will discuss what medium to use (flash drives, cards, CD's, etc).
Upload them to an FTP as some lossless format and provide a username / password for those of us interested in downloading. Will be much faster than drives/cards/cds et al. However, not sure about copyright/piracy laws around these method, but I know GD has had an open trading view since day 1 ... I think if you have tapings of the shows and not albums made by the record company you're good to go (a al archive.org and other sites).
Andy J
Black Carver

Post by Andy J »

Back in the 1970's a friend came up with a cassette tape labeled "Kesey's Farm."

The Playing in the Band jam was like nothing we had ever heard before.

None of us kids knew much about the GD but after listening to the "Farm" tape we were inspired to become part of the next tour.

We made just about every Northeast show from that point on...

I just discovered that the Kesey's Farm show is available in a glossy 3 CD edition plus a DVD.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshin ... allbanner5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking forward to Mr. Postman stopping by next week!
Keysy's Farm.JPG
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Andy J wrote:Back in the 1970's a friend came up with a cassette tape labeled "Kesey's Farm."

None of us kids knew much about the GD but after listening to the "Farm" tape we were inspired to become part of the next tour.

I just discovered that the Kesey's Farm show is available in a glossy 3 CD edition plus a DVD.

http://www.dead.net/store/1970s/sunshin ... allbanner5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great show. You can hear it streaming now here: https://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27. ... sbeok.shnf
Andy J
Black Carver

Post by Andy J »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
Andy J wrote:Back in the 1970's a friend came up with a cassette tape labeled "Kesey's Farm."

Great show. You can hear it streaming now here: https://archive.org/details/gd72-08-27. ... sbeok.shnf
Thanks for the link XJ. Central Vermont just got DSL this past summer!

Will post thoughts after the glossy 3 CD plus DVD set arrives.

Miracle.jpg
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
junior wrote:Once the holidaze are over and I'm back at the office on the 6th, we will discuss what medium to use (flash drives, cards, CD's, etc).
Upload them to an FTP as some lossless format and provide a username / password for those of us interested in downloading. Will be much faster than drives/cards/cds et al. However, not sure about copyright/piracy laws around these method, but I know GD has had an open trading view since day 1 ... I think if you have tapings of the shows and not albums made by the record company you're good to go (a al archive.org and other sites).
I lost you after "Upload".
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bump.

If you want the shows, shoot me a pm. I will start burning them to CD as it is just the easiest and most cost effective way to burn multiple copies of multiple shows.

PM me if you want these shows. There will probably be about 100 shows total. No picking and choosing. If you want one, you will get them all. No cost to anyone but myself.

The burning will commence this Friday and I will mail the shows to you all 10 at a time, probably about 30 CD's per mailing, until all is gone.

I will be posting the set lists here so whoever gets the shows can copy paste the set lists onto the discs or covers or jewel cases or whatever.

Get a pm to me if you want the music.

And so the long strange trip continues in a Kzone sort of way....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

junior wrote:Bump.

If you want the shows, shoot me a pm. I will start burning them to CD as it is just the easiest and most cost effective way to burn multiple copies of multiple shows.

PM me if you want these shows. There will probably be about 100 shows total. No picking and choosing. If you want one, you will get them all. No cost to anyone but myself.

The burning will commence this Friday and I will mail the shows to you all 10 at a time, probably about 30 CD's per mailing, until all is gone.

I will be posting the set lists here so whoever gets the shows can copy paste the set lists onto the discs or covers or jewel cases or whatever.

Get a pm to me if you want the music.

And so the long strange trip continues in a Kzone sort of way....
Is this something I can sell on Ebay? :|
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Bubba wrote:One of the best shows I ever saw was the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane and Papa John Creech together at the Fillmore East on a Monday night in October 1970, about 3 weeks after the death of Jimi Hendrix. Couple of my college roommates were at the Fillmore on Saturday night for some unrelated event, at which time they announced the special show on Monday evening. My roommates got on line for tickets as soon as the show they were at ended and bought 5th row center seats for the Monday night Dead/Airplane/Papa John show. We all drove back into the city from Stony Brook on Monday afternoon. Show started at 8:00 PM and ended at around 4:00 AM at which time we drove back out to school. Unbelievable show! To this day, it doesn't appear on the Fillmore calendar of shows for 1970.
My roommates GOT ON LINE for tickets as soon as the show they were at ended and bought 5th row center seats for the Monday night Dead/Airplane/Papa John show. We all drove back into the city from Stony Brook on Monday afternoon.

Bubba, the internet existed way back then to buy tickets????
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

The burnings are in progress and I will post up about the specifics.

5 shows from May 1977 will be the first done.

St Paul, Tuscaloosa, Chicago, Chicago, and St Louis. Those are the 1st 5. Spring 1977, all in May.

May 11, 12, 13, 15, and 17.

All remastered and officially released on a box set from a few years back or a soundboard recording. I am going with the best copies quality wise I have, so if I have an audience recording, a soundboard recording, and an officially released and remastered recording of the same show, I'll go with what I think is the best quality sound-wise. Most will be soundboards or GD releases of the same show, or a combination of first and second sets from each show.

Each show will be burned in it's entirety, including D/S's in the 2nd sets.

Details to follow next week. If you want 'em, let me know. So far I am burning 4 copies of each show for 4 people that have contacted me. If anyone else wants 'em, let me know.
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

Interested!!
Ron Paul 2012
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Now wait a minute... :lol: