NSR. Grateful Dead

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: NSR. Grateful Dead

Post by skiadikt »

ozzy wrote:Junior,
You think Trey was the right call for fare the well?
you asked jr but .........

imho, wrong choice. not a trey/phish fan at all and think he'll bring too much phish to the stew. his guitar playing (and singing) has never done anything for me. think it was a marketing move. didn't have the confidence in their fans that they could move 180+k seats.

as a guitarist, think kimock's the guy who best captures the "spirit" of jerry w/o necessarily coping too many of his licks. but he & phil have "history" and he doesn't sing. warren could be an option but somehow don't feel he's right for the "final" gigs. that leaves kadlecik. not particularly a fan but he's spent a lifetime playing "jerry" and has him "down" as much as anyone. so think he was the choice.

maybe it'll work w/trey. certainly an out of the box choice. but the dead have a history of blowing the big moments (see woodstock), so why should this be any different ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

skiadikt wrote:

imho, wrong choice. not a trey/phish fan at all and think he'll bring too much phish to the stew. his guitar playing (and singing) has never done anything for me. think it was a marketing move. didn't have the confidence in their fans that they could move 180+k seats.

as a guitarist, think kimock's the guy who best captures the "spirit" of jerry w/o necessarily coping too many of his licks. but he & phil have "history" and he doesn't sing. warren could be an option but somehow don't feel he's right for the "final" gigs. that leaves kadlecik. not particularly a fan but he's spent a lifetime playing "jerry" and has him "down" as much as anyone. so think he was the choice.

maybe it'll work w/trey. certainly an out of the box choice. but the dead have a history of blowing the big moments (see woodstock), so why should this be any different ...
C'mon. Kimmock is serving as bobby's fluffer in getting him prepped for GD50.
Imagine getting passed up for the main gig then being asked by bobby to help tie his shoes. I bet he feels great!
But yeah, Kimmock, Haynes or John K isn't going to sell 180k+ seats. Anastasio will. And i think everyone can agree that this whole thing is a HUGE ASS money grab

It will be glorious when all the crusty old deadheads will be dancin in a ring around the sun to his licks in Soldiers Field over the July 4th weekend
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

ozzy wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

C'mon. Kimmock is serving as bobby's fluffer in getting him prepped for GD50.
Imagine getting passed up for the main gig then being asked by bobby to help tie his shoes. I bet he feels great!
But yeah, Kimmock, Haynes or John K isn't going to sell 180k+ seats. Anastasio will. And i think everyone can agree that this whole thing is a HUGE ASS money grab

It will be glorious when all the crusty old deadheads will be dancin in a ring around the sun to his licks in Soldiers Field over the July 4th weekend
you can say the same about kadlecik as he just played with phil this past weekend. like i said kimock is the guitarist most "qualified" but no way as long as jill lesh has any say. he took the high road in this letter:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123784/ ... -Thee-Well

yup i'd call it a money grab but wtf, they deserve to ride into the sunset with one last big pay day.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

For my $0.02 on this one.

And I will admit I am a Trey / Phish fan, but still a deadhead at heart [100+ dead shows not including JGB, 4 Phish shows].

Trey was the best choice for me. Check out the 2010 [october i believe] Phil and friends show with Trey in Glens Falls NY. Its on the LMA. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

I could see Kimock standing in as well. Post Jerry, best show I saw was the Other Ones with Steve [and I believe Karin from Ratdog] in MSG in NYC.

If Warren was the man, I wouldn't even have tried to get tickets. Would have been tougher decision with John K.

And, surprised no one's mentioned Stu Allen yet ??
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

ozzy wrote:
junior wrote:
OK with Trey. The guy can rock the guitar for sure. I was impressed with him every time I've seen him play. Hopefully he is a little more careful on his next trip through Whitehall though.

Listening to the Tuscaloosa show I burned yesterday. So sweet. They Love Each Other...L-rd, you can see that it's true.
well, that lil trip through Whitehall probably saved his life. Too bad Capt Trips never took that detour.
Have you been keeping up with the saga on social media about Trey and his rehearsing/prep for the Chicago run?

Roll damn tide.
KZone is about as close to social media as I come. No Twitter, Facebook, etc for this kid.

So, no, I have not followed it on social media.

BTW, I have every intention of being at all 3 shows in Chicago. It's not just about the music for me, although that is a huge part of it. We will be hooking up with head friends we haven't seen since the last time we saw the Dead in Chicago 20 years ago. Gonna be just like old times, just that we'll all be 20 years older. Can't wait.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

How bout a roll call for the Chicago shows.

I put in for the first two shows [jul 03 and 04] via the mail order. To date, no rejection nor confirmation.

Anyone had any better [or worse] luck?

I'm trying to b optimistic. I've always gotten in on the mail order [going back a few years I Gotta admit]
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

I'm in for all 3 nights
Ron Paul 2012
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html

Grateful Dead tickets now going for up to 15K for 3-day run in Chicago
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

St. Jerry wrote:I'm in for all 3 nights
be sure to dress flashy and hit up West Garfield Park for some bud and "doses"... after dark is the best time...all ya gotta do is wave around a stack of cash and some one will come find ya right away....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

SnoBrdr wrote:http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertain ... story.html

very un-grateful dead ...
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

skiadikt wrote:

WOODSTOCK ! Hey people, the concert is FREE!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dr. NO wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Geez Dr. this is their last chance to grab some cash from people who just want to relive the old days.

Let them have it,
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

SnoBrdr wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Geez Dr. this is their last chance to grab some cash from people who just want to relive the old days.

Let them have it,
VS 15 K tickets which they don't get a cut? A $1500 ticket is just stupid, if you pay it. Open the doors as they have made the money and continue to make more (except for Jr's CD's).
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Dr. NO wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
skiadikt wrote:

Let them have it,
VS 15 K tickets which they don't get a cut? A $1500 ticket is just stupid, if you pay it. Open the doors as they have made the money and continue to make more (except for Jr's CD's).
In the other GD thread I asked if this was anything more than a money grab by the remaining band members.

I don't disagree with you but I'm sure the artists would.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Would gladly pay $4,000 for a three-day pass if I didn't have three college educations to pay for in the next ten years and three weddings after that. I have friends that are going to all three shows and it kills me not to be going with them. There isn't any vacation anywhere in the world that you could offer me that I would rather take. Some of the happiest and best times of my life have been centered around Dead shows. It won't be the Dead of the late 70's or early 80's again but these shows are going to be special. Enjoy Junior, you are a lucky man.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......