Oops, I meant to come to the B1BBQ

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Just found out yesterday that over the weekend a friend of mine's house burned to the ground along with 5 others on her block. She, her husband, 5 kids, mother-in-law and sister-in-law are all homeless at this point. I talked to her last night and she said members of her family are sleeping at different relatives and friends houses for now. Unfortunately she could not afford to carry fire insurance so she will not be able to make a claim. However, it turns out that it was the electric company's (Con Edison) fault that the fire happened in the first place so she may be able to sue to get some funds. She did say last night that is not going to help her right now. The Red Cross has come through with some funds to buy some clothes for them. They lost everything including pets. This fire apparently spread so fast that they did not have a chance to take anything with them. There were some injuries to some of them when they got hit by falling debris and for smoke inhalation but they are all out of the hospital now.
I hope Con Ed is better than Vermont Power Companies. It is stated that they are NOT responsible for damage caused by electrical failures on their part. A house on 100 got a full 13KV surge. The guy said all the sockets and light fixtures in the house started glowing and then the place went up in flames. Didn't have insurance and lost everything. No VT power money given to him so the lot is still empty.
Even here in CT, my neighbors sued the CT Light and Power when a transformer blew up and took out all their appliances. Don't know if they ever got paid.
I'm not trying to be critical or anything, but how could anyone in their right mind not insure their most important and expensive asset? If I really couldn't afford to insure my house, I'd sell it and rent rather than risk losing everything in some catastrophe.

This doesn't sound right. The mortgage company would require full insurance coverage by the homeowner. Unless of course the house was already paid for.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Humpty Dumpty wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Just found out yesterday that over the weekend a friend of mine's house burned to the ground along with 5 others on her block. She, her husband, 5 kids, mother-in-law and sister-in-law are all homeless at this point. I talked to her last night and she said members of her family are sleeping at different relatives and friends houses for now. Unfortunately she could not afford to carry fire insurance so she will not be able to make a claim. However, it turns out that it was the electric company's (Con Edison) fault that the fire happened in the first place so she may be able to sue to get some funds. She did say last night that is not going to help her right now. The Red Cross has come through with some funds to buy some clothes for them. They lost everything including pets. This fire apparently spread so fast that they did not have a chance to take anything with them. There were some injuries to some of them when they got hit by falling debris and for smoke inhalation but they are all out of the hospital now.
I hope Con Ed is better than Vermont Power Companies. It is stated that they are NOT responsible for damage caused by electrical failures on their part. A house on 100 got a full 13KV surge. The guy said all the sockets and light fixtures in the house started glowing and then the place went up in flames. Didn't have insurance and lost everything. No VT power money given to him so the lot is still empty.
Even here in CT, my neighbors sued the CT Light and Power when a transformer blew up and took out all their appliances. Don't know if they ever got paid.
I'm not trying to be critical or anything, but how could anyone in their right mind not insure their most important and expensive asset? If I really couldn't afford to insure my house, I'd sell it and rent rather than risk losing everything in some catastrophe.

This doesn't sound right. The mortgage company would require full insurance coverage by the homeowner. Unless of course the house was already paid for.
Is it possible to have house insurance but no fire insurance? I know that she told me that she could not afford the insurance. I have no idea if she still had a mortgage.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

SkiDork wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:My parents had a house in NH next to a ski Mtn....So during the evening the power went out cause of a ice storm.Neighbors called to see if we were up and invited us over cause they had a wood stove and food.
During the night the power came on with a fliker and surge and somehow the house filled with propane and then ignited.The explosion woke the dog that awoke me cause my room was on that side.
I'll never forget the way the flames looked as they shot skyward with the ice glistening on the trees.
But no one was hurt :D
Reminded me of Kramer and the Cubans...
True story Dork.For a few years I was paranoid of fire ,but maybe thats why I burn a woodstove now every night.Sort of ,confront your fear and overcome it!
Nice new Avatar pic of Snow Princess!
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

SkiDork wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:My parents had a house in NH next to a ski Mtn....So during the evening the power went out cause of a ice storm.Neighbors called to see if we were up and invited us over cause they had a wood stove and food.
During the night the power came on with a fliker and surge and somehow the house filled with propane and then ignited.The explosion woke the dog that awoke me cause my room was on that side.
I'll never forget the way the flames looked as they shot skyward with the ice glistening on the trees.
But no one was hurt :D
Reminded me of Kramer and the Cubans...
Sorry for your friends' loss Ty. How horrible and scary. Glad they're all o.k.
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Humpty Dumpty wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:

Is it possible to have house insurance but no fire insurance? I know that she told me that she could not afford the insurance. I have no idea if she still had a mortgage.
Probably not. I'd think most policies cover a wide range of catastrophes, including fire. That's the way my homeowner's works. One policy that covers everything that can be covered.

Humpty's right. Every bank would require homeowners insurance as part of granting a loan. Only reasonable, they need to protect their interest. Some banks take it so seriously that they insist on paying the premium for you and rolling the cost into your monthly payment. The rest settle for being notified by the insurance company if you don't pay the bill, in which case they'll probably get a policy large enough to cover their interest and then bill you for it.

I assumed that in both cases there wasn't a mortgage.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre