OT Dead thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

DMC wrote:
skiadikt wrote:another fave was the gaelic park bronx show where they started early to beat the r*in. that was the first dead show i taped.
Gaelic Park - highly collectable show...

Other then being older then me - I envy you.. :)
my brother was the trader in the family so i suspect my pathetic audience tape might have gotten some circulation. i was very happy a bunch of years ago when i got a soundboard of that show.

for christmas, my brother surprised me and gave me the box with many of my old ticket stubs. like junior, i was anal enough to make little notes on the back of them.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Best venues: Palladium , NYC
Palace Theater, Waterbury, Ct (Phil walked down the line asking "spare ticket?)
Boston Music Hall

Worst - no contest! - Nassau Coliseum (around 1973)- Narcs would pass people joints and then bust them.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Sir Wanksalot
Green Skidder

Post by Sir Wanksalot »

junior wrote:
2knees wrote:
junior wrote:
2knees wrote:this started out well enough until.......
anyway, the best show i saw, while most of these things tend to blurr together for me was a knick show in 94 (i think 94) 2nd set was amazing with an awesome row jimmy, music never stopped and a kick ass mighty quinn. never heard them do that one before or after but it was awesome. a great queen jane was in the mix as well as a first set rip of samson and delilah. great stuff. Best single song performance was weir going ballistic on a throwing stones at the boston garden. he was absolutely killing it. i think that was '92 but again dates are not my strong point.
Was the 2nd set closer a "Dew"? (Albany)
couldve been if you're referring to the knick show. I'd have to check my set lists at home. I probably still have them buried with the bootlegs and stubs and stuff.
Definately at the Knick. That show was amazing. Bruce's friend from DC had a 20 lb tank of Nitrous, and we stayed up all night at the campground doing monster balloons. Took days to recover from that night.

Man were we where the "Wild Things Were" that night. Great, great times. This thread is bringing back a lot of memories. Thanks guys.
haha

mrs junoir spells definately the same way as mr junior does....completely wrong. i bet everyone 1 billion dollars that this is mr junoir knot mrs junoir witch would make mr junoir the biggest loser on earth bigger than he all ready is
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

skiadikt wrote:guess i'm bit older than most of you. :)

first saw the boyz opening for janis joplin at the fillmore east 2/11/69 complete with pigpen reading the lyrics for the 'hey jude' encore. must have caught maybe 15-20 fillmore shows. there's was NOTHING like the fillmore east. a few months later caught a free concert in central park that was pretty cool. right up front & very laid back.

probably the most intense & mind blowing show i ever caught was 2/11/70 with love and the allman bros opening. freaks that we were, we made a big deal out of the marque which said 'dead love allman'. closing jam w/dead and duane, dickey and the rest of the allmans with peter green from fleetwood mac was pure madness.

until recently my edit suite at manhattan center overlooked the hall where i caught a run of shows in '71 called the grateful dead dance marathon. very overcrowded, oversold shows.

another fave was the gaelic park bronx show where they started early to beat the r*in. that was the first dead show i taped.

been pretty fortunate to have caught a lot of shows that have been released including the academy of music show in '72 where i was actually afraid the balcony was gonna collapse. the stanley theater jersey city show later that year which opened with a killin morning dew and featured an incredible dark star>cumberland. when they start a show w/ dew you know it's gonna be special. the roosevelt stadium shows that year were the only stadium shows i went to and they reasonably intimate for stadium shows.

quit after '72 and missed 2 of their best years '73 & '74. started up again in '76 and caught a bunch of shows at the palladium & capitol passaic. the acoustic set at radio city was particularly sweet.

out of the 3 local arenas guess i preferred the garden. sad to say, by the mid-80's they had pretty much become parodies of themselves and while they could on occasion turn it up, the shows for me were generally uninspiring. for me the last great run was the september '90 garden run when hornsby first joined the band.
very impressive. did you ever catch hendrix by any chance?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

2knees wrote:
skiadikt wrote:guess i'm bit older than most of you. :)

first saw the boyz opening for janis joplin at the fillmore east 2/11/69 complete with pigpen reading the lyrics for the 'hey jude' encore. must have caught maybe 15-20 fillmore shows. there's was NOTHING like the fillmore east. a few months later caught a free concert in central park that was pretty cool. right up front & very laid back.

probably the most intense & mind blowing show i ever caught was 2/11/70 with love and the allman bros opening. freaks that we were, we made a big deal out of the marque which said 'dead love allman'. closing jam w/dead and duane, dickey and the rest of the allmans with peter green from fleetwood mac was pure madness.

until recently my edit suite at manhattan center overlooked the hall where i caught a run of shows in '71 called the grateful dead dance marathon. very overcrowded, oversold shows.

another fave was the gaelic park bronx show where they started early to beat the r*in. that was the first dead show i taped.

been pretty fortunate to have caught a lot of shows that have been released including the academy of music show in '72 where i was actually afraid the balcony was gonna collapse. the stanley theater jersey city show later that year which opened with a killin morning dew and featured an incredible dark star>cumberland. when they start a show w/ dew you know it's gonna be special. the roosevelt stadium shows that year were the only stadium shows i went to and they reasonably intimate for stadium shows.

quit after '72 and missed 2 of their best years '73 & '74. started up again in '76 and caught a bunch of shows at the palladium & capitol passaic. the acoustic set at radio city was particularly sweet.

out of the 3 local arenas guess i preferred the garden. sad to say, by the mid-80's they had pretty much become parodies of themselves and while they could on occasion turn it up, the shows for me were generally uninspiring. for me the last great run was the september '90 garden run when hornsby first joined the band.
very impressive. did you ever catch hendrix by any chance?
yeah w/ band of gypsies. i think a new year's day show. if i recall grand funk was one of the opening acts. yuch.

cool thing about the fillmore was that generally there were 3 incredible acts on the bill (except for later when the dead started doing the 'evening with' thing). so you'd get bills like 10 years after, jethro tull & nice or the aforementioned dead, love & allmans. just remembered a dead w/ hot tuna show where steve winwood & chris woods from traffic came out and jammed.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Walstib
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Walstib »

You forgetting about
New Years Runs
Greek Theatre
Frost Ampitheatre
Cal Expo
Ventura
Red Rocks
1983 Boise State University 18,000 seats 3,000 tickets sold
Roosevelt Stadium
Beacon Theatre
Capitol Theatre Passaic & Portchester
Hult Center
Grass Valley
Fox Theatre Atlanta
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Yikes! - a senior moment...
The Palladium was called the Acadamy Of Music in those days.
Worst rock n roll screwup ever?
I gave away tickets to the Band Of Gypsies new year's eve show after having a disagreement with my girlfriend at the time. DOH!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

wow.. those dead concerts must have been amazing for people to be attending them with the frequency of kids my age attending baseball games.. and talking about them decades later..

it must have been unreal..
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

i have an interesting Dead story. when i was a sr in high school, Bob Weir was boinking a girl from my high school. the girl was incredibly beautiful as you would imagine. i remember being at a Dead show out in Harrisburg, PA and seeing her hanging out on stage sitting on a speaker for most of the show. later that same summer she fell off the back of Weir's motorcycle in CA and was killed. she had told her parents that she was going out there with a friend to look at colleges. true story but never got much press other than local.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

KingsFourMan wrote:i have an interesting Dead story. when i was a sr in high school, Bob Weir was boinking a girl from my high school. the girl was incredibly beautiful as you would imagine. i remember being at a Dead show out in Harrisburg, PA and seeing her hanging out on stage sitting on a speaker for most of the show. later that same summer she fell off the back of Weir's motorcycle in CA and was killed. she had told her parents that she was going out there with a friend to look at colleges. true story but never got much press other than local.
that sux...
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

SkiDork wrote:
KingsFourMan wrote:i have an interesting Dead story. when i was a sr in high school, Bob Weir was boinking a girl from my high school. the girl was incredibly beautiful as you would imagine. i remember being at a Dead show out in Harrisburg, PA and seeing her hanging out on stage sitting on a speaker for most of the show. later that same summer she fell off the back of Weir's motorcycle in CA and was killed. she had told her parents that she was going out there with a friend to look at colleges. true story but never got much press other than local.
that sux...
Bob must have been in his mid to late 30's boinking a girl who was 17 but could pass for early 20's.

also wanted to add that i never saw a Dead show i didn't love including the stadium shows at the meadowlands and at Fulton Cnty Stadium in Atlanta. Garden shows were great, the Dead seamed to love the Garden. best shows for me were at Redrocks - all 6 of them.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
BobR
Bumper

Post by BobR »

Outdoor. Red Rocks my favorite. Never saw the Dead there did see Phil and Friends out here TheQ's last shows. Was that Junior?

Saragoga, was my favorite outside venue I saw them at.

Rochester War memorial and the old Richfiled Col. My favorite indoor places. then knick close behind. I saw all the shows there, but 1 I showed up with the wrong nights ticket one night. I'll never live that down. Alot of pregame. :wink: I made all the Boston 90's shows even had a front row ticket for the last night there. Never got to use it, still have it sad.

Soldiers field was my favorite stadium could walk to the show from my hotel took a ferry out onto the lake to take a view of the city.

I'm Going to Hydra in Worcester mass tonight. Rat Bob Friday and Sat. Sounded like NY was treated well.
skiing is my addiction

anyone want to buy a condo in the southern Whites'?
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

Walstib wrote:You forgetting about
New Years Runs
I saw two new years run at the oakland coliseum. venue was pretty average, but you could'nt beat the laid back california scene. going to a dead show in their own backyard was always fun. best part were the new years shows were always general admission. never had to deal with nazi ushers or d!ckheads yelling at you to get out of "their" seats.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

2pink1stink wrote:
Walstib wrote:You forgetting about
New Years Runs
I saw two new years run at the oakland coliseum. venue was pretty average, but you could'nt beat the laid back california scene. going to a dead show in their own backyard was always fun. best part were the new years shows were always general admission. never had to deal with nazi ushers or d!ckheads yelling at you to get out of "their" seats.
Always thought the 2 shows leading up to the New years show were much better than the New Years show itself. It was very cool seeing them in the Bay Area. Like you said 2P1S, "their own backyard". I have a lot of family in Frisco and Brisbane. We saw many, many shows there, and many Jerry Band shows at the Warfield. Real good vibes out there. It is sorely missed.
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

ozzy wrote: couldve been if you're referring to the knick show. I'd have to check my set lists at home. I probably still have them buried with the bootlegs and stubs and stuff.

i believe that the show that you guys are refering to at the knick was 6-12-92. my b day show. when i mail ordered tix i sent GDTS a photo copy of my liscence and they sent me 5th row in front of Jerry. it was super sweet
I worked a 2nd job during those two concerts at the Knickerbocker Area (now the Pepsi Arena) for my employer who owned multiple buildings and parking lots in downtown Albany. I had to walk the perimeter of their property along the "Dead City" during the two shows at the Knick. The city had closed multiple blocks of the city around the arena and literally hundrends, if not thousands of people, who could not get inside the show, were lying around the sidewalks and streets. They were freaky looking types with ti-dye shirts and VW buses, many obviously tripping or totally wasted on whatever. People were selling all sorts of things, acid, mushrooms, shirts, crafts, grilled cheeses and P&J sandwiches with lines 20 yards long. All these 60's throw-backs as far as you could see using the city as a refugee camp. I have never, NEVER witnessed anything like it, before and after. They were into ALL SORTS of mischief peeing everywhere, passing out, trying to sell things. Man what a long strange trip that was.