OT Dead thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

2knees
Poster Child Poster

OT Dead thread

Post by 2knees »

Started pulling out my old bootlegs last night and it got me remeniscing. Best shows i ever went to, best venues, all the good times we had. anyway, i gotta say, i always loved the knickerbocker in albany. i saw 4 of the best shows there and the scene was always a blast. Fun but mellow. Highgate was a trip for sure but it got a little crazy. Worst venue, (not the worst show as in my opinion there were no bad shows, some were just better than others) had to be my own backyard. Hartford. shitty vibe, too many trust fund drunks from fairfield county. (no offense to anyone who lives there). anyway just wondering if anyone else had some particularly favorite venues/shows. The old boston garden was damn good too in my opinion.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

I used to LOVE the MSG runs in fall... Great time... Would take time off work and just rage...

Loved shows at Shoreline, SPAC, Red Rocks, Merriweather Post, Hershey Park, JFK and RFK..

Hated Giants Stadium, Three Rivers...
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

Best: Shoreline & Hampton, VA.

Worst: Giants Stadium & Meadowlands Arena. Lots of Joeys and Ginas in tye-dies & acid washed jeans. f*cking tools.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

2pink1stink wrote:Hampton, VA.
Ahh... Yes the mother ship....
Cool place for a show.. Great vibe...
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

agreed stadium shows just drew too many weekend woriors.
most favorite venues: shoreline, cal expo, JGB at warfield
otherwise: deer creek, SPAC and city shows ( Boston, MSG and the spectrum)
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

DMC wrote:
yhea i say them there in '89 billed as "Formerly the Warlocks" b/c they couldn't play there as the grateful dead
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

ozzy wrote:
DMC wrote:
yhea i say them there in '89 billed as "Formerly the Warlocks" b/c they couldn't play there as the grateful dead
Me too!!!

I was suprised they let Phish play there...
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

also want to add bonner springs in kansas city as one of the better venues. it was probably the smallest venue i ever saw the dead play at. could'nt been more then 15,000. super mellow scene in the middle of nowhere.
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

where the hell is junior when a good ole grateful dead thread is up and running 8)
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

ozzy wrote:where the hell is junior when a good ole grateful dead thread is up and running 8)
Maybe Mrs. Junior will chime in... :)
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

bonner springs. i rember them busting out a supplication jam there.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

DMC wrote:
ozzy wrote:where the hell is junior when a good ole grateful dead thread is up and running 8)
Maybe Mrs. Junior will chime in... :)
I'd love to let you have it here Doug, but seeing it is a Grateful Dead thread, I'll keep the vibe where it should be. You may want to try that also.

I'm going through Juniors tix stubs now...there are hundreds of them. He wrote down most of the setlists on the backs of the tickets, so I'll be back to you guys shortly with some "favorites".

Some of the Europe shows were pretty hot. The Dead played some large arenas, Paris and London, and some high school gymnasiums in the smaller towns. I did not know Junior yet back then. I started following the Dead with him in 92. I always loved the Knick and RFK as far as summer tours went.

The runs at MSG, Philly, and Boston were always great. Saw my 1st Dark Star at MSG in 93 I think. There was also a Help>Slip>Franklin's in that show. I also remember Bruce telling me about a Help>Slip>Fire he saw in Boston.

I always loved the west coast shows and redrocks. JGB at the warfield in Frisco was always hot too. Saw about a zillion of those.

I'll be back with some favorites soon.

What's up Ozzy? Hope all is well.

Doug, BEHAVE!!!!
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

ozzy wrote:bonner springs. i rember them busting out a supplication jam there.
i saw them there 4th of july 1991. me and a buddy followed them the entire summer tour. we started out selling homemade tiedyes for gas & food money. we sold out after a couple shows and then started selling tabs of acid. i remeber after the tour ended we each had about 10,000 hits left. we came home and sold them to all our friends. god we were stupid
ozzy

Post by ozzy »

hey Mrs. Junior. you guys still skiing or are you done?
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

ozzy wrote:hey Mrs. Junior. you guys still skiing or are you done?
We will be up 4/29-5/3. We'll be sure to hook up with you then. We are closing on a condo that weekend. You still working or are they closed for the summer?