OT Dead thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

[quote="RossiSkier
grilled cheeses [/quote]

You havent lived until you've had a nice hot gooey grilled cheese while you're booming your brains out.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Boomers and grilled cheese. Oh, the memories.

The problem with the Albany shows, (if there was one), was that they played the Knick right in the middle of the summer tour. These were mostly stadium size shows, so there were hundreds of thousands of people following the band due to the size of most of the venues.

When they got to Albany, 15000 seat arena?, the heads had no where to go, so they just packed the streets and lots until the band moved on to the next city.

I always thought Albany was one of the coolest scenes of the tour, right up there with RFK. There was a one night stand, a Sunday, at RFK. We almost didn't make the trip because it was only one show. Glad we went though, because I saw my first and only Casey Jones that night.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

junior wrote:Boomers and grilled cheese. Oh, the memories.

The problem with the Albany shows, (if there was one), was that they played the Knick right in the middle of the summer tour. These were mostly stadium size shows, so there were hundreds of thousands of people following the band due to the size of most of the venues.

When they got to Albany, 15000 seat arena?, the heads had no where to go, so they just packed the streets and lots until the band moved on to the next city.

I always thought Albany was one of the coolest scenes of the tour, right up there with RFK. There was a one night stand, a Sunday, at RFK. We almost didn't make the trip because it was only one show. Glad we went though, because I saw my first and only Casey Jones that night.
never caught a show in Albany mostly for this very reason. also never caught one at Radio City and wished i had. love the accoustic album Reckoning from Radio City.

Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

For some reason I thought there were two shows that year. Long time and many brain cells ago.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

RossiSkier wrote:For some reason I thought there were two shows that year. Long time and many brain cells ago.
Which venue?
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

junior wrote:
RossiSkier wrote:For some reason I thought there were two shows that year. Long time and many brain cells ago.
Which venue?
The Knickerbocker Arena. Now called the Pepsi Arena.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

RossiSkier wrote:
junior wrote:
Which venue?
The Knickerbocker Arena. Now called the Pepsi Arena.
There were always 2 shows at the Knick. The scene was unbelievable. Lots of heads, not a lot of tickets. Some of my favorite shows were at the Knick. Dowtown Albany was basically shut down when the Dead were there.
BobR
Bumper

Post by BobR »

Albany shows were 2 in the Summer and 3 in the Spring. as I remember. Either mid 70's and great spring weather or sleet and snow. They had mobile court rooms set up in trailers in some lots to do on site court stuff. Mostly they let you plead out and pay fines. I was lucky I never got to visit one, but some buds did.
I walked the Ny State Museum with Jerry and one of his young flings one after noon before a show. Just My friend Kevin and me and Jerry and his new love. Kind of wild. New york... just amazing. We were walking by the train exibit. A bunch of security came buy and then there he was, he spent about and hour takin it in. We were mellow he did not mind us being there. I said hi he just smiled.
skiing is my addiction

anyone want to buy a condo in the southern Whites'?
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

junior wrote: There were always 2 shows at the Knick. The scene was unbelievable. Lots of heads, not a lot of tickets. Some of my favorite shows were at the Knick. Dowtown Albany was basically shut down when the Dead were there.
Yeah I thought there were two shows. Yeah, there were thousands there, but downtown Albany was far from shut down. It's not Hooterville. Only a few blocks in the crappy section. But the memory of the Fabulous Freak Brothers and Sisters will live in my memory for all time.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

RossiSkier wrote:
junior wrote: There were always 2 shows at the Knick. The scene was unbelievable. Lots of heads, not a lot of tickets. Some of my favorite shows were at the Knick. Dowtown Albany was basically shut down when the Dead were there.
Yeah I thought there were two shows. Yeah, there were thousands there, but downtown Albany was far from shut down. It's not Hooterville. Only a few blocks in the crappy section. But the memory of the Fabulous Freak Brothers and Sisters will live in my memory for all time.
I believe it may be me you speak of. Freaks ruled back then. Too bad it's over.
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

"Back Then"? It was only the 90's. They were cool. Funny to watch. Pissing themselves. Although some of them didn't look like they were into personal hygene at all. I wish I knew enough to bring 100 grilled cheese.
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

RossiSkier wrote:"Back Then"? It was only the 90's. They were cool. Funny to watch. Pissing themselves. Although some of them didn't look like they were into personal hygene at all. I wish I knew enough to bring 100 grilled cheese.
It hasnt ended... People just get old, leave the fun and become conservatives...

We call the the unwashed dreadlocked kid "wookies" now...

I was always one to just peoplewatch... never really got involved in the goings on of the "lot"...
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

It was like a giant DEAD HEAD ant farm.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

DMC wrote:
RossiSkier wrote:"Back Then"? It was only the 90's. They were cool. Funny to watch. Pissing themselves. Although some of them didn't look like they were into personal hygene at all. I wish I knew enough to bring 100 grilled cheese.
It hasnt ended... People just get old, leave the fun and become conservatives...

We call the the unwashed dreadlocked kid "wookies" now...

I was always one to just peoplewatch... never really got involved in the goings on of the "lot"...

The "lot", as you put it, was a big part of the Dead experience. The lot was where you did your business and took care of "things" for the show, and where you were for hours afterward.

I miss "the lot".
DMC
Post Office

Post by DMC »

junior wrote:The "lot", as you put it, was a big part of the Dead experience. The lot was where you did your business and took care of "things" for the show, and where you were for hours afterward.

I miss "the lot".
I don't... I miss the shows...