Bernie Sanders

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Bernie Sanders

Post by deadheadskier »

Mister Moose wrote:
Bubba wrote:While almost completely wrong on policy, Bernie is certainly tapping into the frustrations felt by many Americans; frustrations about the economy, income growth, wealth inequality and the influence of money in politics.

Saw this yesterday. Someone in a 1%er car that wants to reduce wealth inequality by putting a bumper sticker on their display of wealth.
rsz_benz.jpg

I'm not sure you are making much of a point. Plenty of very wealthy people in the world that agree with a number of Bernie's positions. Warren Buffet would be one with his views on taxation of the wealthy and healthcare for all via a single payer system.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Bernie Sanders

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Mister Moose wrote:None of this affects the irony of the bumper sticker. But since you seem to want to quibble,

The lease payment on the car is 855/mo with no trade and $9,000 at signing. That's 10 grand a year, 20 grand your first year. Sounds spendy to me.
https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/portfoli ... l-GLS450W4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't move the goal post to 2%, I said any Mercedes (based on car sales) puts you in the upper 2%, you are reading too fast. THIS Mercedes, the one with the bumper sticker, puts you in the upper 1/10%.

I also suspect there is something fishy with the oft quoted 1% income level. I just don't see where you put a national sample of 1,000 adults (households) in a room and 10 of them are making north of $425k. Is it 1% of people that file a tax return? I suspect the true 1% earnings cutoff is lower than 425.

And whether you're a 1%er or a 2%er or a 3%er, it doesn't affect the irony.

You're not going to tell me next how good a deal you could get that's better than list on that lease, are you.....
There's only irony of the bumper sticker if we know more about the driver/owner. Deriving the beliefs and wealth of an individual solely on the car they drive is a slippery slope. If you saw my car, you'd probably conclude I'm low income and thus a Hillary supporter :D .

Apart from politics ... I agree the majority of luxury vehicles are purchased by households with above average income.