other cool resorts that you've visited this season

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

I don't ever get to go anywhere cool. I'm using this post to bitch.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on Apr 25th, '05, 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
RossiSkier
Bumper

Post by RossiSkier »

I hear ya Sprite. I have my Killington pass and I'm happy as a pig in poop just to get a day at the Big K. But hey, pull down your ski bibs and SKI CHILE!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

snowsprite wrote:Then we had the best seafood dinner ever.
Sprite

I guess snowboarding is like yadi yada then.
(Quoting Elaine when she had the lobster bisque.)
Dork would know..
Where is Happy Hour ?
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

snowsprite wrote: Oh yeah, and I went snowboarding at this pimple-sized hill in rhode island.

Sprite
the one and only Yawgoo valley. they actually increased their vertical when they had a construction firm dump their landfill at the top.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Dr. NO wrote:Geoff, how was Wolf Creek. I have always wanted to go, but it is a tough place for lodging and such. Fill us in on the goods.
Wolf Creek is a string of ~1000-1400 vertical foot fixed grip lifts set up along a ridge line at the continental divide. The parking lot is at 10,300. They get Utah-like quantities of snow. It's in the middle of nowhere with no slopeside lodging so it doesn't see much skier traffic. The skiing surface is superb since there are no high speed lifts to trash it. All the lifties are ski & snowboard bums. No need to import non-English speakers on student work visas. Mt Baker is the only other place I've been in a long time that's still like that. It has the ambiance of Alta in 1980. The terrain tends to be fairly steep at the top and flatter towards the bottom. Think of the terrain around the Needles Eye quad if you chainsawed most of the trees. 50 steep turns on something like Vertigo and then much mellower. Then put a little bit of steep hike-to above it. Then put a stupidly huge amount of backcountry terrain an easy traverse beyond the ski area boundary. They recently expanded the resort and put a fixed grip quad chair in what used to be a backcountry area. The whole thing is gladed and ungroomed. The lift is totally ignored.

To the west at 7,000 feet is the sleepy town of Pagosa Springs. The town is decidedly downscale and the best lodging in town is low to medium end motels. You're 30 minutes from the parking lot and the road shuts if they get a big dump. To the east, the road is less prone to close but there aren't many lodging options in that direction. South Fork has no town center and the nearest substantial town, Alamosa, is a good hour away. Alamosa is a flat farm town and you feel like you're in Iowa or Nebraska.

The next time I'm there, I think I'm going to track down a good B&B since the hotel stock is so lousy.

Wolf Creek makes the short list of places I'd consider buying land and erecting a vacation/retirement home. The worrying thing is some Texas jillionare did a land swap with the forest service and might be building a monster ski village around the base of the new quad. At the moment, everybody is suing everybody else. The ski area is family owned and wants a small, controlled development with a hotel, a few condos, and some houses. The Texan wants 10,000 beds.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

spanky wrote:
Geoff wrote:Valle Nevado, Chile
La Parva, Chile
Big White, British Columbia
Ski Santa Fe, New Mexico
Taos, New Mexico
Wolf Creek, Colorado
Vail, Colorado
Loveland, Colorado
Sugarloaf, Me
F you! :wink:
Did I forget to mention that the Vail trip was a company paid slopeside luxury condo where the back door opened up to the snow? My expense report for that trip was over $4,500 for a 4 day trip. Vail is a pretty nice place to go to diner when you're taking a customer and you're on expense account. ...and that's after a sales guy picked up the tab for the most expensive dinner where we were ordering bottles of Beaux Freres pinot noir. 8)
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Geoff wrote:
spanky wrote:
Geoff wrote:Valle Nevado, Chile
La Parva, Chile
Big White, British Columbia
Ski Santa Fe, New Mexico
Taos, New Mexico
Wolf Creek, Colorado
Vail, Colorado
Loveland, Colorado
Sugarloaf, Me
F you! :wink:
Did I forget to mention that the Vail trip was a company paid slopeside luxury condo where the back door opened up to the snow? My expense report for that trip was over $4,500 for a 4 day trip. Vail is a pretty nice place to go to diner when you're taking a customer and you're on expense account. ...and that's after a sales guy picked up the tab for the most expensive dinner where we were ordering bottles of Beaux Freres pinot noir. 8)
I prefer Burgundy. Oh, and to reiterate. F you! :wink:
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

None - I did not have a chance to visit any other ski area besides K this year.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

tyrolean_skier wrote:None - I did not have a chance to visit any other ski area besides K this year.
You skied last summer in Italy !
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Dr. NO wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:None - I did not have a chance to visit any other ski area besides K this year.
You skied last summer in Italy !
That counted towards last ski season.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

The past few seasons we traveled around, but this season I got one in college. :roll:
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

Jhole
Targhee
Pow Mow
Stowe

Still want to hit that Yawgoo place for haha's

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Mtn Man wrote:Jhole
Targhee
Pow Mow
Stowe

Still want to hit that Yawgoo place for haha's

B)
I grew up skiing the now-defunct Pine Top in Rhode Island. It had a whopping 280 foot vertical drop with 2 T-bars. Yawgoo has an even more wimpy 245 feet of vertical.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

[/quote]
Instead of hypothesizing that ozzy (that person) thinks Okemo is cool, why not ask him?

Hey ozzy, do you think Okemo is a cool resort?
[/quote]

sure okemo is a cool resort. they cat a lot of moguls there, have lots of terrain feature, and best of all it was free!

Geoff,
wolf creek is an awsome place. the one time i skied it they had 20" fresh and no one was there.
your still counting Chile as 2004-05?
are you going to termas this july or august?
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.