Ski The Third World

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RossiSkier
Bumper

Ski The Third World

Post by RossiSkier »

I am always facinated when reading about developing countries whose ski industries are exploding. South Korea and China are the prime examples, although Hyundai is building a resort in Kumgang, North Korea.

South Korean ski resorts include, Alps, Bears Town, Chonmasan, Daemyung, Hyundai Sungwoo, Jisan, Muju, Phoenix Park, Seoul, Suanbo Aurora Valley, Yangji, Yong Pyeong (Dragon Valley).

South Korean skiers are CRAZY as they don't really know how to ski well and stopping isn't one of their finer points, I have read. Also, Ski Patrol in these resorts are almost exclusively American. Wonder what kind of money can be made there? Probally not much considering the $4 lift tickets.

China is building twelve new resorts. They are hosting the 2008 Summer Olympics, but they also want a piece of the Winter Olympics. I am sure that an expert skiier could get a job in ski patrol in any of these places.

I have heard Zoners speak of skiing in Chile, South America. If anyone has a Third World ski story, or even Japan, 1st or 2nd hand, please share. Rossi
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

no personal experience, but i remember a warren miller flick with an india feature. it was fascinating:

they made skis out of wooden planks and the edges were sawmill blades.
they earned their turns, of course..
it was mostly kids, but i think i remember seeing adult women joining in the fun
despite their equpiment, some of those kids weren't half bad!
and of course, everyone was smiling.

warren's comments were along the lines of "when you're in aspen with your salomon skis and a gore-tex parkas and you're starting to get a little angry because the lift line is more than a few minutes, think of these kids."
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

There was another Warren Miller Flick with a segment on Iran! Cool stuff, but I think I'll stick to the Rockies. 8) Or maybe one day Chile.
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.