Killington Capital Investments & Summer discussion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Killington Capital Investments & Summer discussion

Post by Highway Star »

Mister Moose wrote:This guy sums up an interesting counter-point:
rogman wrote:Say what you will about POWDR, I've found them to be pretty thorough when it comes to maintenance, even if it's on a chair that is slated for replacement.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Went back and added to my first post on the first page, responding to the press release:
Highway Star wrote:
Last season, skier visits at Killington were up 9 percent over the 2013-2014 season.
About $6-7M more revenue (on top of ~$15m normal profit) with very little increase in expenses. PURE PROFIT! MONEYMONEYMONEY! Maybe they'll throw us some scraps from the table.
Powdr Corp. of Utah is spending $600,000 to upgrade Killington’s K-1 and Skyeship gondolas installing electronic lift drive systems. Upgrades at a number of lifts at Killington and Pico include new communication lines, haul ropes, and upgrades at lift loading and unloading terminals.
This is how you maintain lifts. Most resorts barely talk about about this, let alone lead off a press release with it.
Another $600,000 is being spent on new ticket scanners, trail edging and widening, paving, and a new terrain park grooming machine.
Again, this is a normal cost of maintaining a resort. Not any sort of improvement.
Major snowmaking system pipelines are scheduled for replacement at both Killington and Pico. Other snowmaking upgrades include rebuilding hydrants, water pumps and new snowmaking hose.
Again, this is a normal cost of maintaining a resort. Not any sort of improvement.
To improve snowmaking along the Superstar trail, the snowmaking infrastructure has been redesigned and relocated to the lower part of the trail. Killington said the relocation would improve snowmaking coverage and snow depth especially toward the end of the ski season.
Somebody said something about fanguns on lower Superstar? Finally, we get to the improvements. Woohoo! I mean, we've only been talking about better snowmaking on superstar for like 10 years, glad to see it finally happening!!!
The resort, in collaboration with Killington Mountain School, is also investing $600,000 to improve race and training venues. Those improvements include a new mid-station unload at the Snowdon triple lift, and a permanent bag jump venue on lower Superstar.
This is KMS's money, not Killington's. They had to settle for a midstation on a 1973 vintage triple chair, because nothing better could be afforded.
— A $750,000 remodeling of Ovations restaurant at the Killington Grand Resort Hotel. The restaurant will undergo a facelift creating a new atmosphere and a new menu will be introduced.
I've never set foot in Ovations, nor to I know anybody who has. It's interior was nearly 20 years old, real deal 90's cheap-chic:

http://www.oyster.co.uk/vermont/hotels/ ... -and-bars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Badly in need of an update.
— Signed a 20-year purchase agreement with Namaste Solar to receive 3 megawatts of power from six, 500-kilowatt solar arrays. The 4,700 megawatt-hours of new solar power will cover all of Killington and Pico’s snow gun energy needs.
Seriously? First of all, what about all the rental and installed DIESEL AIR COMPRESSORS they use to make snow? How do they run on solar power? No, they are just talking about the water pumps, where the 4,700 mWh figure does pass the sniff test. Though, I'm not sure how they are are going to get solar power when they are making snow at night. As much as I hate Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires, at the least the wind turbine they installed is the real deal.
Since acquiring Killington and Pico eight years ago, Powdr Corp. has invested more than $40 million in its two Vermont resorts.
Fuzzy math, inflated figures, and the vast majority is maintenance.
“Also, I think Powdr’s sale of Park City Mountain Resort, albeit under difficult circumstances, made Killington Resort the premier jewel in Powdr’s crown.”
Part of the reason they are so far behind, and last time I checked, Copper was their crown jewel, where they are going to unsuccessfully compete with Vail in CO.
Killington’s $3.5 million Snowshed Adventure Center with its 10 attractions, including the Beast Mountain Coaster, opened this summer.
It's popular this year because its new. Lets see how it's doing 3 years from now. Not to mention being fugly. Really going to add to the appeal of the village - not.
In partnership with Gravity Logic at Whistler Resort, Killington began a five-year mountain bike park expansion, investing more than $175,000 on trail building.

Based in British Columbia, Gravity Logic is assisting Killington in designing and building more beginner and intermediate-friendly mountain bike terrain while also continuing to add more expert trails.

Six new mountain bike trails are also being integrated under and over the Beast Mountain Coaster.
Killington has been squandering it's natural advantages for mountain biking for 15 years. Glad they could follow along and finally get with the program.
Powdr Corp. operates eight resorts across the country. In addition to Killington and Pico, the privately held company also owns Copper Mountain, Colo.; Mount Bachelor, Ore.; Boreal Mountain Resort, Nev.; Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort; Gorgoza Park, Utah; and Soda Springs, Calif.
So, go around and ask the people at those resorts how it has been to have POWDR run their resorts. Won't hear many positive things.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Update: Sunday River has announced they have purchased new cloths dryers for the Jordan Hotel. No mention of additional mulch.
Who knows what other summer improvements will be made throughout NE. :sad:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Highway Star wrote:Went back and added to my first post on the first page, responding to the press release:
Highway Star wrote:
Last season, skier visits at Killington were up 9 percent over the 2013-2014 season.
About $6-7M more revenue (on top of ~$15m normal profit) with very little increase in expenses. PURE PROFIT! MONEYMONEYMONEY! Maybe they'll throw us some scraps from the table.
Powdr Corp. of Utah is spending $600,000 to upgrade Killington’s K-1 and Skyeship gondolas installing electronic lift drive systems. Upgrades at a number of lifts at Killington and Pico include new communication lines, haul ropes, and upgrades at lift loading and unloading terminals.
This is how you maintain lifts. Most resorts barely talk about about this, let alone lead off a press release with it.
Another $600,000 is being spent on new ticket scanners, trail edging and widening, paving, and a new terrain park grooming machine.
Major snowmaking system pipelines are scheduled for replacement at both Killington and Pico. Other snowmaking upgrades include rebuilding hydrants, water pumps and new snowmaking hose.
To improve snowmaking along the Superstar trail, the snowmaking infrastructure has been redesigned and relocated to the lower part of the trail. Killington said the relocation would improve snowmaking coverage and snow depth especially toward the end of the ski season.
Somebody said something about fanguns on lower Superstar? Finally, we get to the improvements. Woohoo! I mean, we've only been talking about better snowmaking on superstar for like 10 years, glad to see it finally happening!!!
The resort, in collaboration with Killington Mountain School, is also investing $600,000 to improve race and training venues. Those improvements include a new mid-station unload at the Snowdon triple lift, and a permanent bag jump venue on lower Superstar.
This is KMS's money, not Killington's. They had to settle for a midstation on a 1973 vintage triple chair, because nothing better could be afforded.
— A $750,000 remodeling of Ovations restaurant at the Killington Grand Resort Hotel. The restaurant will undergo a facelift creating a new atmosphere and a new menu will be introduced.
I've never set foot in Ovations, nor to I know anybody who has. It's interior was nearly 20 years old, real deal 90's cheap-chic:

http://www.oyster.co.uk/vermont/hotels/ ... -and-bars/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Badly in need of an update.
— Signed a 20-year purchase agreement with Namaste Solar to receive 3 megawatts of power from six, 500-kilowatt solar arrays. The 4,700 megawatt-hours of new solar power will cover all of Killington and Pico’s snow gun energy needs.
Seriously? First of all, what about all the rental and installed DIESEL AIR COMPRESSORS they use to make snow? How do they run on solar power? No, they are just talking about the water pumps, where the 4,700 mWh figure does pass the sniff test. Though, I'm not sure how they are are going to get solar power when they are making snow at night. As much as I hate Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires, at the least the wind turbine they installed is the real deal.
Since acquiring Killington and Pico eight years ago, Powdr Corp. has invested more than $40 million in its two Vermont resorts.
Fuzzy math, inflated figures, and the vast majority is maintenance.
“Also, I think Powdr’s sale of Park City Mountain Resort, albeit under difficult circumstances, made Killington Resort the premier jewel in Powdr’s crown.”
Part of the reason they are so far behind, and last time I checked, Copper was their crown jewel, where they are going to unsuccessfully compete with Vail in CO.
Killington’s $3.5 million Snowshed Adventure Center with its 10 attractions, including the Beast Mountain Coaster, opened this summer.
It's popular this year because its new. Lets see how it's doing 3 years from now. Not to mention being fugly. Really going to add to the appeal of the village - not.
In partnership with Gravity Logic at Whistler Resort, Killington began a five-year mountain bike park expansion, investing more than $175,000 on trail building.

Based in British Columbia, Gravity Logic is assisting Killington in designing and building more beginner and intermediate-friendly mountain bike terrain while also continuing to add more expert trails.

Six new mountain bike trails are also being integrated under and over the Beast Mountain Coaster.
Killington has been squandering it's natural advantages for mountain biking for 15 years. Glad they could follow along and finally get with the program.
Powdr Corp. operates eight resorts across the country. In addition to Killington and Pico, the privately held company also owns Copper Mountain, Colo.; Mount Bachelor, Ore.; Boreal Mountain Resort, Nev.; Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort; Gorgoza Park, Utah; and Soda Springs, Calif.
So, go around and ask the people at those resorts how it has been to have POWDR run their resorts. Won't hear many positive things.
Attachments
detective.jpg
detective.jpg (33.09 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

HS, did you change your meds recently? :lol:
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Today at the Sugarloaf homecoming meeting a manager said they would install two new detachable quads and a T-bar in Bracket Basin within five years. Also, they plan to increase snowmaking water pumping capacity from 4,500 GPM to 10,000 GPM. This will surpass Sunday River at 8,000 GPM.

edit: From Killington's website they claim 720,000 GPH (so 12,000 GPM), not sure if that's their max.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Boyne proposes, CNL disposes. I'll believe it when I see it.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

We spent a great weekend up there this weekend. Kudos to Killington for all of the great summer / fall additions.

We had done bits and pieces of the adventure center a couple of prior weekends, but Sunday we took the kids and pretty much spent the full day.

Coaster is great, zip line ride is fun, my kids loved the jumpy thing. We all did the ropes course which was super fun. I thought we would get bored of it after a half hour or so, but the whole family pretty much spend close to our full 2 hours in there.

Next season there is no doubt I'm going to go and rent the full equipment for downhill biking some weekend. (I'm sure my cross country bike would get pretty beat up doing those trails, but they look amazing!)
Don't Killington Pico
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

boston_e wrote:We spent a great weekend up there this weekend. Kudos to Killington for all of the great summer / fall additions.

We had done bits and pieces of the adventure center a couple of prior weekends, but Sunday we took the kids and pretty much spent the full day.

Coaster is great, zip line ride is fun, my kids loved the jumpy thing. We all did the ropes course which was super fun. I thought we would get bored of it after a half hour or so, but the whole family pretty much spend close to our full 2 hours in there.

Next season there is no doubt I'm going to go and rent the full equipment for downhill biking some weekend. (I'm sure my cross country bike would get pretty beat up doing those trails, but they look amazing!)
tons of people there this weekend, lines at gondi and snowshed lift most of the day...you can ride your XC bike there but ya gotta go a lot slower, a lot smaller and both you and the bike take more of a beating, also helps to pick your trails wisely... Wife and I took our XC bikes there a few weeks ago, pedaled up to the motor room and ramshead something I never do w a 40+ lb DH bike and full gear... you can however get just as hurt on your XC bike as a DH bike and if ya push hard the likelihood rises....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

How are those capital improvements coming along? I hear that Killington just lost $1.5 Million hosting a WC race.

Mriceyman
Green Skidder

Post by Mriceyman »

Small minded thinking hs .. not a surprise you dont get it
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Highway Star wrote:How are those capital improvements coming along? I hear that Killington just lost $1.5 Million hosting a WC race.
What you "heard" we now know not to be true.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe