Oct. 2, 1978

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
madhatter
Signature Poster

Oct. 2, 1978

Post by madhatter »

Oct. 2, 1978 – Trailing 2-0 in the seventh inning of a one-game playoff, Bucky Dent clubbed a three-run homer over the Green Monster in Fenway Park. The Yankees went on to beat the Royals in the ALCS and then the Dodgers in the World Series. Dent was named World Series MVP, hitting .417 with 7 RBI.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
brownman
Postinator

Re: Oct. 2, 1978

Post by brownman »

For years we had a tough time forgetting about that guy and his buddy Boone...

However, you may recall there were 4 quite memorable days in a later October. :oops:
ESPN ran a 30 for 30 piece on that little slice of history :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

brownman wrote:For years we had a tough time forgetting about that guy and his buddy Boone...

However, you may recall there were 4 quite memorable days in a later October. :oops:
ESPN ran a 30 for 30 piece on that little slice of history :like

of course who can forget "The Fluke"?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

brownman wrote:For years we had a tough time forgetting about that guy and his buddy Boone...

However, you may recall there were 4 quite memorable days in a later October.

Was this one of those 4 memorable days in a later October?:

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

madhatter wrote:Image

Oct. 2, 1978 – Trailing 2-0 in the seventh inning of a one-game playoff, Bucky Dent clubbed a three-run homer over the Green Monster in Fenway Park. The Yankees went on to beat the Royals in the ALCS and then the Dodgers in the World Series. Dent was named World Series MVP, hitting .417 with 7 RBI.
A more enjoyable Yom Kippur holiday there has never been. :banana:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Oh ... Jr is suddenly a Mets fan ? ... true NY Yonkey loyalist :?
Looking forward to his anticipated embrace of another newfound hero, the Jets :lol:

As baseball historians know, your 2004 ALCS was the indisputable biggest choke in baseball history. Your local 'rag' supports that fact.
http://nypost.com/2004/10/21/chokes-on- ... -to-bosox/

And, in this or any universe, 8 straight wins in the Red Sox Championship run of 2004 does not equate with a Tyree or a Manningham.

:seeya
Last edited by brownman on Sep 29th, '15, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

brownman wrote:Oh ... Jr is suddenly a Mets fan ? ... true NY Yonkey loyalist :?
Looking forward to his anticipated embrace of another newfound hero, the Jets :lol:

As baseball historians know, your 2004 ALCS was the indisputable biggest choke in baseball history. Your local 'rag' supports that fact.

And, in this or any universe, 8 straight wins in the Red Sox Championship run of 2004 does not equate with a Tyree or a Manningham.

As always, Red Sox fans see their world in terms of the Yankees. Instead of referring to it as the greatest comeback in baseball history (quite a feat, I might add) Sox fans see it as a choke, as if their team didn't have anything positive to do with the victory. You don't hear Yankee fans referring to the Yankees' 1978 comeback as the Sox choking. We see it as a great comeback - our team's success rather than your team's failure.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

brownman wrote:Oh ... Jr is suddenly a Mets fan ? ... true NY Yonkey loyalist :?

Junior is a Giants fan, a Yankee fan, and a Ranger fan. I do not root against any other NY area team except for the Islanders and Devils. Yes, of course I was rooting for the Mets in '86. What Yankee fan wasn't?

And, in typical roidsux fashion, you call 2004 the greatest choke as opposed to the greatest comeback. I guess all those decades of losing had that effect on you. It's ok that all your teams (except The Bruins), had to cheat their way to their rings. Damn shame. It'll be ok though brownie. No one will remember the cheating. They'll just remember the championships. No legacy of cheating whatsoever. Just the championships. Got it.

Edit: Bubba beat me to the punch, but he speaks the truth. Choke, not comeback. Right!!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

I gave you that link to revive your local perspective on our 'exorcism'.
Mariano and your team choked - pure and simple.
Remember how embarrassing that was ... you silly boys :lol:

Our idiots seized the opportunity and capitalized against long odds.
If you somehow think Red Sox fans don't acknowledge that feat, you're mistaken.

Yes, we used to be accustomed to losing. That's a tough legacy to leave behind.
NY has now assumed our former role ... all those teams, no titles in sight.
We understand how exasperating that can be ... rooting for loser after loser.

Now, Boston teams are fully expected to Win Big. And Win we DO !
It's a beauty thing ... a city of 4 teams ... title after title after title after title.

Last edited by brownman on Sep 29th, '15, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Forever .. Goat Path
thedev
Black Carver

Post by thedev »

junior wrote:
brownman wrote: However, you may recall there were 4 quite memorable days in a later October.

Was this one of those 4 memorable days in a later October?:

I love that picture :lol:
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

brownman wrote:I gave you that link to revive your local perspective on our 'exorcism'.
Mariano and your team choked - pure and simple.
Remember how embarrassing that was ... you silly boys :lol:

Our idiots seized the opportunity and capitalized against long odds.
If you somehow think Red Sox fans don't acknowledge that feat, you're mistaken.

Yes, we used to be accustomed to losing. That's a tough legacy to leave behind.
NY has now assumed our former role ... all those teams, no titles in sight.
We understand how exasperating that can be ... rooting for loser after loser.

Now, Boston teams are fully expected to Win Big. And Win we DO !
It's a beauty thing ... a city of 4 teams ... title after title after title after title.

When do the Sox start playing golf this year?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Heck...Ortiz nearly golfed that ball out in the first inning Brubba.

Good Luck with that #4 seeding :P
Is A-rod still wearing that purse.
Oh wait, he's no cheater :oops:

Forever .. Goat Path
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

brownman wrote:Heck...Ortiz nearly golfed that ball out in the first inning Brubba.

Good Luck with that #4 seeding :P c'mon w/o that wild card( that was specifically created so boston wasn't left on the sidelines year after year), 04 wouldn't have even happened....Wild card beats golf card...
Is A-rod still wearing that purse.
Oh wait, he's no cheater :oops:

mach es sehr schnell

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Yeah...thanks for the thoughtfulness.
If it was a 170 game schedule, we coulda' made it this season :-o

Isn't it better to go into the playoffs on a winning streak?
That Piñata was chock full of candy last nite. :shock:

Forever .. Goat Path
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

junior wrote:

Junior is a Giants fan, a Yankee fan, and a Ranger fan. I do not root against any other NY area team except for the Islanders and Devils. Yes, of course I was rooting for the Mets in '86. What Yankee fan wasn't?

And, in typical roidsux fashion, you call 2004 the greatest choke as opposed to the greatest comeback. I guess all those decades of losing had that effect on you. It's ok that all your teams (except The Bruins), had to cheat their way to their rings. Damn shame. It'll be ok though brownie. No one will remember the cheating. They'll just remember the championships. No legacy of cheating whatsoever. Just the championships. Got it.

Edit: Bubba beat me to the punch, but he speaks the truth. Choke, not comeback. Right!!
Tomato ~ Tamatoe .........either way the end result was the same enjoyable event !