steamboat1
Post Office

Re: Oregon Community College Shooting

Post by steamboat1 »

Biggest U.S. mass murders in history:

Murrah office building bombing - 200+ killed

Happy land fire - 127 killed

Bath school disaster - 87 killed

Not a gun involved in any of them.Maybe we should ban the sale of diesel fuel and gasoline?
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Who is calling for a gun ban?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

deadheadskier wrote:Who is calling for a gun ban?
sure seems like obama is...

“We know that other countries, in response to one mass shooting, have been able to craft laws that almost eliminate mass shootings — friends of ours, allies of ours — Great Britain, Australia, countries like ours,” Obama stated.

Great Britain and Australia, in their attempt to implement such gun laws, instituted mandatory gun confiscations, the Independant Journal reported.

Although it has been noted Australia’s was a “gun buyback program,” it was nonetheless mandatory, as were the confiscations in Britain.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Bubba wrote:
Woodsrider wrote: I was thinking about this recently while ripping through NYC traffic. I can buy a gun at Walmart. But I need to take 2 tests and get a license to drive a car. I can drink and drug and carry my gun but if I do that while driving I go to jail. Wtf.
So I decided that I should be able to drive as fast as I want wherever and whenever I want. Right? I mean guns don't kill, bullets do. So speed doesn't kill either, it's the sudden stop that kills. I'm just not going to stop. f*** it's my right as an American. If you don't like it stay off the sidewalk.
The difference (as I'm sure you know) is that driving a car is a privilege. Owning a gun is a constitutional right.
Cars weren't invented yet when the constitution was written. Neither were machine guns or nuclear bombs. Guns weren't even very dangerous back when the constitution was written. Hell they had to stand in wide firing lines to hit anything and only the best could fire 3 rounds a minute.
Please. That argument is stale. It should be my constitutional right to drive 100mph to killington and no body is going to stop me. Unless my wife is in the truck of course. Then 90mph. Speed does not kill anymore than guns kill.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Now that I think about it. We have collision avoidance systems in cars now. Maybe we should invent guns that won't fire on unarmed individuals. That's doable. Wonder if the NRA would stand behind that or claim that is unconstitutional too.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Woodsrider wrote:Guns weren't even very dangerous back when the constitution was written.
:roll:
Ski_killington
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Ski_killington »

Shouldn't this be moved to the politics section on here? It's getting kinda annoying when I want to see actual Killington related stuff on here and all I see is a bunch of 2 year olds arguing.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

for real?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015 ... d=fb-share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

I read this statement recently...worth considering.
'Maybe we need to talk as Americans about a culture that glorifies violence.'

IMHO ... With many perceiving hopelessness and despair, it is near impossible to legislate sanity,

Peace !
Forever .. Goat Path
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Ski_killington wrote:Shouldn't this be moved to the politics section on here? It's getting kinda annoying when I want to see actual Killington related stuff on here and all I see is a bunch of 2 year olds arguing.
yup, long enough in the open forum. Ski season is coming. Time to keep Chatter Forum Skiing/Boarding/sliding/Killington related.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:Guns weren't even very dangerous back when the constitution was written.
:roll:
I took the kids to a Revolutionary War museum near us recently and I learned a lot about the weapons they used and how they used them. All you needed to do back then was wound the enemy and they would die of infection. They didn't even use rifles. You would be lucky to hit the side of a barn with those muskets from 50 yards. At least so I was told by experts. Soldiers (really farmers, brave souls) stood in lines and fired at the enemy. That's where "hold your line" came from. Imagine standing tall in a line against today's weapons. They would mow you down in seconds.
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

One of the main reasons the patriots prevailed was they had rifled barrels. Not general issue but privately owned. These were the first sharpshooters and targeted the British Officers.

"WIDOW-AND-ORPHAN MAKERS"

These marksmen were organized into small, independent units and ordered to pick off British officers during the inactivity around Boston after the Bunker Hill fight. Dunlap's Pennsylvania Packet said on August 14, 1775: “The express, who was sent by the Congress, is returned here from the Eastward, and says he left the Camp last Saturday; that the riflemen picked off ten men in one day, three of whom were Field-officers, that were reconnoitering ; one of them was killed at a distance of 250 yards, when only half his head was seen.” Such reports caused great indignation when republished in London. The backwoodsmen were called “. .. shirt-tail men, with their cursed twisted (rifled) guns, the most fatal widow- and-orphan-makers in the world”.

http://www.revolutionarywararchives.org/longrifle.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Thoughts Mister Moose?
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

deadheadskier wrote:Thoughts Mister Moose?
Warren Burger was simply wrong in his PERSONAL interpretation. In 1787, Militias were raised from the local populace who came with their OWN weapons. This should be sufficient for anyone to realize why the second amendment is written as it is. To raise a militia, the citizen population must be free to keep and bear arms. I also question how "conservative" Burger really was.