Yankees' CC Sabathia to miss postseason

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Yankees' CC Sabathia to miss postseason

Post by SnoBrdr »

ESPN.com news services

New York Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia is checking himself into an alcohol rehabilitation center and will miss the postseason, he announced Monday.

"Today I am checking myself into an alcohol rehabilitation center to receive the professional care and assistance needed to treat my disease," Sabathia said in a statement. "I love baseball and I love my teammates like brothers, and I am also fully aware that I am leaving at a time when we should all be coming together for one last push toward the World Series.

"It hurts me deeply to do this now, but I owe it to myself and to my family to get myself right. I want to take control of my disease, and I want to be a better man, father and player."

The Yankees host the Houston Astros in the AL wild-card game on Tuesday night.

Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia will miss the remainder of the postseason as the six-time All-Star will check himself into an alcohol rehabilitation facility. Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Sabathia went 6-10 in 29 starts this season -- the worst record of his 14-year career for a season in which he pitched at least 150 innings. He also had a 4.73 ERA, 137 strikeouts and gave up a career worst-tying 28 home runs this season.

However, the 2007 Cy Young Award winner and six-time All-Star had been pitching better of late. After a poor four-month stretch to start the season that saw his ERA in the mid 5s, Sabathia settled down to have a 3.80 ERA in August and closed the season with a 2.17 ERA in September.

"As difficult as this decision is to share publicly, I don't want to run and hide," Sabathia said. "But for now please respect my family's need for privacy as we work through this challenge together."

Sabathia, who thanked the Yankees for their "encouragement and understanding," said he intends to be back with the Yankees next season.

"Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you. I want my kids -- and others who may have become fans of mine over the years -- to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help," Sabathia said. "I want to hold my head up high, have a full heart and be the type of person again that I can be proud of. And that's exactly what I am going to do."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Yankees' CC Sabathia to miss postseason

Post by SnoBrdr »

Sad situation.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Admitting you have a problem is the first step in a recovery. I do hope that this is a successful recovery. Baseball be damned, I just hope he gets himself WHOLE!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

SnoBrdr wrote:"As difficult as this decision is to share publicly, I don't want to run and hide," Sabathia said. "But for now please respect my family's need for privacy as we work through this challenge together."

Sabathia, who thanked the Yankees for their "encouragement and understanding," said he intends to be back with the Yankees next season.

"Being an adult means being accountable. Being a baseball player means that others look up to you. I want my kids -- and others who may have become fans of mine over the years -- to know that I am not too big of a man to ask for help," Sabathia said. "I want to hold my head up high, have a full heart and be the type of person again that I can be proud of. And that's exactly what I am going to do."
This is a real man right here. Being accountable ... stepping up and asking for help when you know you need it and not being ashamed.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Ya , CC on the rocks............ :shock: