Snowmaking/Operating Strategy Outlook - Ongoing Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Re: Snowmaking/Operating Strategy Outlook - Ongoing Thread

Post by Highway Star »

throbster wrote:They have guns on the headwall down about 100 yards past launch pad. 6 or 7 fans guns are going on lower Super. Strangely, the fixed fan gun is not going. Also, the fan gun on Mouse Trap is going! Snowing lightly.
As we go in to early November, you're going to see desperation snowmaking in 6 hour overnight windows on Superstar. They had better be going all out right now while they can. Given the current forecast, I give them about a 30% chance of making the WC event happen.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Highway Star wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:you might be right HS, but I highly doubt that they were expecting to have a 2-foot base on Super Star by 11/1. That would've indicated an outlier of cold in October.

I will be curious as to how much snow is on the top third of Super Star after this cold snap. It should be on par with the production of North Ridge.

Long term does not look that good. Subtract 3f off these numbers for KBL base, and 6f for North Ridge / Top of Superstar:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/killin ... =11/1/2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trust me, they are not planning based on an accuweather long range forecast.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

machski wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:you might be right HS, but I highly doubt that they were expecting to have a 2-foot base on Super Star by 11/1. That would've indicated an outlier of cold in October.

I will be curious as to how much snow is on the top third of Super Star after this cold snap. It should be on par with the production of North Ridge.

Long term does not look that good. Subtract 3f off these numbers for KBL base, and 6f for North Ridge / Top of Superstar:

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/killin ... =11/1/2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You're right. It's more blind faith and seat of the pants.

Based on that forecast, I give them a 30% chance of making it happen. The trend shows about 3 degrees above normal for overnight temps. If that trend is correct, they are screwed.

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Highway Star wrote:
machski wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Based on that forecast, I give them a 30% chance of making it happen. The trend shows about 3 degrees above normal for overnight temps. If that trend is correct, they are screwed.
Seriously HS, AccuWeather beyond 7 days out is a guess as best I can tell. Last season when I'd look at their 7-14 forecasts, it always looked like things were going to turn around to hard core winter with good snow storms. Once those same long range guesses came into the 5 day range, they would start to veer into what we actually got last season. And this while many other outlets kept saying a continual warm winter last year. So I base nothing on those, fun to look at, that is about it. If I remember correctly, AccuWeather did not forecast this week's weather all too well 10-14 days ago. Many were saying we wouldn't be skiing in October this year. Ooopps.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

machski wrote:
Highway Star wrote:
machski wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

Seriously HS, AccuWeather beyond 7 days out is a guess as best I can tell. Last season when I'd look at their 7-14 forecasts, it always looked like things were going to turn around to hard core winter with good snow storms. Once those same long range guesses came into the 5 day range, they would start to veer into what we actually got last season. And this while many other outlets kept saying a continual warm winter last year. So I base nothing on those, fun to look at, that is about it. If I remember correctly, AccuWeather did not forecast this week's weather all too well 10-14 days ago. Many were saying we wouldn't be skiing in October this year. Ooopps.
So, based on past performance, you're saying it's actually going to be warmer than they forecast? Ok then. I drop my chances of them pulling this off to 5%.

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Looks like they added Upper East Fall today. I'd think that GN is next to make the walk only one way. I could also see them opening Upper Double Dipper as well.

Earlier I read that the snowmaking currently happening at Superstar and that area is not affecting the opening in North Ridge, or the usual expansion via Snowdon to KBL.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

snoloco wrote:Looks like they added Upper East Fall today. I'd think that GN is next to make the walk only one way. I could also see them opening Upper Double Dipper as well.

Earlier I read that the snowmaking currently happening at Superstar and that area is not affecting the opening in North Ridge, or the usual expansion via Snowdon to KBL.
It would be pretty pathetic if it did with the size of K's snowmaking system!
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

snoloco wrote:Looks like they added Upper East Fall today. I'd think that GN is next to make the walk only one way. I could also see them opening Upper Double Dipper as well.

I'd rather see them build base depths before expanding.

Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

Is Upper East Fall open? It says it's open with snowmaking on the website.

And I agree Upper Double Dipper would be a very easy, smart move to help spread the weekend crowds.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Ragged#1 wrote:Is Upper East Fall open? It says it's open with snowmaking on the website.

And I agree Upper Double Dipper would be a very easy, smart move to help spread the weekend crowds.
It was not as of 1240pm. Still could probably use today under the guns with no traffic but they may drop the rope before days end. Not sure.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Looks like the Mouse Trap fan gun is going on the webcam. Could they be trying to push for t2b via Snowdon soon?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

snoloco wrote:Looks like the Mouse Trap fan gun is going on the webcam. Could they be trying to push for t2b via Snowdon soon?
as soon as possible for sure...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Unless mother nature really delivers on this storm, I don't see K attempting significant expansion until they get through this weekend's warmup. They'll continue to build the existing base. Even then, I expect expansion will be up top, eg GN down to the North Ridge chair, Upper Double Dipper, etc. I don't expect them to go for T2B until we see sustained cold weather, and what I'm seeing right now is only marginal conditions at night, and guns off during the day. Lower Bunny is tough: low elevation and SE exposure.