Stony Brook Basketball

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Stony Brook Basketball

Post by Bubba »

f.a.s.t. wrote:The easiest way for a low seed to upset a high seed is for the guards/back court to go off big time, hitting threes, penetrating/driving to the hoop and stopping the other teams guards. Unfortunately for Stony Brook, the back court for Kentucky is very good.

Is the back court for Stony Brook any good?
Decent, not great by any means. Their star player is up front, Jameel Warney, and he scored 43 the other day against UVM with a guard scoring 23. That was the bulk of the offense and they'll have to spread the scoring out to have any shot of being close. Warney was basically unstoppable, causing a chunk of the UVM front three to foul out.

They play in the America East conference, so the best players won't be going there any time soon. Keep in mind, though, that they played Vanderbilt into OT and lost to Western KY by one. Last year they beat Washington when they were ranked #9, I believe, so they're keeping at least some bigger time teams in check and starting to win some of them as well. They appear to be well coached by a former UConn player and assistant coach and if they keep recruiting well and improving, they'll be a better known commodity down the road. I understand there's a red shirt freshman from Ohio waiting in the wings, coming off a broken ankle that kept him from going elsewhere. That'll help next year for sure.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

How about the other SUNY school at the other end of the state?!?!? Two years in a row in the big dance!!!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

spanky wrote:How about the other SUNY school at the other end of the state?!?!? Two years in a row in the big dance!!!
Well start your own thread then! :P

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

12th ranked Yale beats 5th ranked Baylor. Can 13th seed Stony Brook do the same to Kentucky (#4) tonight?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bubba wrote:12th ranked Yale beats 5th ranked Baylor. Can 13th seed Stony Brook do the same to Kentucky (#4) tonight?
Go Seawolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

junior wrote:
Go Seawolves!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gone. Hoped for a little better showing in their first ever NCAA tourney game but it was fun watching them nonetheless. They were obviously nervous early, playing a Kentucky team that was probably ranked lower than it could've been. Nobody on either team could buy a basket for a while but Kentucky was bigger, faster and stronger and recovered quickly to put Stony Brook away. SBU guards couldn't consistently make outside shots all night, allowing Kentucky to double and triple Warney underneath. Warney's ball handling skills, never the best, suffered under the pressure. Still, he scored another double/double with something like 23 points and 14 rebounds against a much bigger team that any they'd faced except maybe Vanderbilt with their seven footers. Talent won out and Kentucky easily moves on to play Indiana. Stony Brook goes home with experience and an eye to the future.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Tough game for the Wolves of the Water.

I still consider their season a great success for them and they have a nice base to build on going forward.

Tough game, but great that they made it to the dance finally. Lots to look forward to with that program.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

They were clearly rattled and never recovered against a formidable foe.
Just being in the same building with 'the Don' does that to many teams.

At least they kept true to themselves and made their fans proud.
On the other hand, Baylor and Purdue fans should be ashamed :-o

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

They only shot 12% from the field for the first ten minutes. Turn that around to 50% or better and they would have built up a lead and made things a lot more interesting. This has been a good topic. I will pay closer attention to the American East Conference, especially with UNH and UVM in it and I'll go to a few games next year.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Nice statement from Stony Brook senior guard Carson Puriefoy after the loss last night.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/s ... 1.11591495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Reports: Rutgers hires Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell

Rutgers has hired Stony Brook head coach Steve Pikiell to replace Eddie Jordan, according to multiple reports.

The news was first reported by Steve Politi of NJ.com.

Pikiell, 48, went 190–155 in 11 seasons at Stony Brook and went 24–6 this season, falling to Kentucky in the NCAA tournament‘s first round. He led the Seawolves to 22 wins in five of the past six seasons. Pikiell starred as a player and captain at UConn from 1987–1991 and began as a coach there under Jim Calhoun.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I saw that earlier today. Can't fault a guy for moving up but sure wish he would've stayed. Wonder who Stony Brook will bring on.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

He has a mess on his hands at Rutgers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Good news and bad...

First the good:

Jeff Boals introduced as men's basketball coach
Boals joins the Seawolves after spending the past seven seasons as an assistant at Ohio State
April 11, 2016

http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/spor ... 16aae.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now the bad (the very next day):

Pair Of Stony Brook Basketball Players Accused In On-Campus Smash And Grab
April 12, 2016

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/04/12/ ... -and-grab/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:Good news and bad...

First the good:

Jeff Boals introduced as men's basketball coach
Boals joins the Seawolves after spending the past seven seasons as an assistant at Ohio State
April 11, 2016

http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/spor ... 16aae.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now the bad (the very next day):

Pair Of Stony Brook Basketball Players Accused In On-Campus Smash And Grab
April 12, 2016

Read that in the Post.

They questioned how a kid in college could get a 5K tax refund check.

They were not defending the two involved but were bitching about how many kids are going to school on the public's dime.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/04/12/ ... -and-grab/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.