Stony Brook Basketball

Post here for sports discussions not related to skiing or riding
Bubba
Site Admin

Stony Brook Basketball

Post by Bubba »

Undefeated in the America East Conference and longest Division 1 winning streak in the nation right now at 17 straight. (OK...so the conference is the lowest ranked conference in D-1 but a winning streak is a winning streak, right?)
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Re: Stony Brook Basketball

Post by brownman »

Bon chance !
At Albany ... the bubble test.
... ain't Patrick Gymnasium. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Go Seawolves!!!!!!

D-1 baby. All good. Don't sell them short. The program has come as long way and is paying dividends now.

A tidbit on the nomenclature, which I did not know until now:

During the early 1950's, when the Stony Brook campus was located in Oyster Bay, the University's teams were known as the Soundmen or Baymen. From 1960 through 1966, we competed as the Warriors. We became the Stony Brook Patriots/Lady Patriots in 1966, and held that name for nearly 30 years. In 1994, in an effort to create an exciting new team identity in line with our move to the Division I level, then-Stony Brook President Dr. John H. Marburger III proclaimed a new team nickname: the Seawolves. The Seawolf is a mythical sea creature of the Tlingit tribe, said to bring good luck to all those fortunate enough to see it.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

junior wrote:Go Seawolves!!!!!!

D-1 baby. All good. Don't sell them short. The program has come as long way and is paying dividends now.

During the early 1950's, when the Stony Brook campus was located in Oyster Bay, the University's teams were known as the Soundmen or Baymen. From 1960 through 1966, we competed as the Warriors. We became the Stony Brook Patriots/Lady Patriots in 1966, and held that name for nearly 30 years. In 1994, in an effort to create an exciting new team identity in line with our move to the Division I level, then-Stony Brook President Dr. John H. Marburger III proclaimed a new team nickname: the Seawolves. The Seawolf is a mythical sea creature of the Tlingit tribe, said to bring good luck to all those fortunate enough to see it.
Interesting, except that Stony Brook wasn't founded until 1957. When I was there in the late 60s to early 70s, we were the Patriots and had Rollie Massimino as coach for a while. He moved on to Penn as assistant coach before heading Villanova for a number of years.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bubba wrote:

Interesting, except that Stony Brook wasn't founded until 1957. When I was there in the late 60s to early 70s, we were the Patriots and had Rollie Massimino as coach for a while. He moved on to Penn as assistant coach before heading Villanova for a number of years.
So what you are both saying is that long run you are Patriot fans at heart.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Bubba wrote:

0 for 2 sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Bubba wrote:

One can be a Patriot fan without being a Patriots fan.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Ahhh ... associating with myths or mythical creatures ...
Thank you ... that explains a few things.

Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Made it to 18 straight by holding on to beat UNH by 1 this afternoon.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Beningo talking about Stonybrook right now on the FAN. Has been for a while.

That's a first as far as I know.

Talking about the game yesterday vs NH and the great season they are having this year.

Beningo says he's gonna try and get the coach on this week.

Now that's some coverage.

Edit: Coach will be on TODAY with Jody Mac. Not sure what time. If you care, you can stream it at http://www.wfan.com....if" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you care.

They are really playing up the 18-0 season. Nice attention they are getting.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

junior wrote:Beningo talking about Stonybrook right now on the FAN. Has been for a while.

Talking about the game yesterday vs NH and the great season they are having this year.

Edit: Coach will be on TODAY with Jody Mac. Not sure what time. If you care, you can stream it at http://www.wfan.com....if" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you care.

Actually, they're 22 - 4 with an 18 game streak going now. Losses were to Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, Western Kentucky and Northeastern, all of them on the road and all of them to teams rated well above teams in their own conference. I believe Vandy was ranked in the top 25 at the time they played. Hard to believe but Stony Brook actually received 1 vote in the last USA Today Coaches Poll. Even I consider that a bit of a joke.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

... as a 'Patriot' fan having experienced 18 and 0 ... things can go horribly wrong :wink:

Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I just looked up the scores by which they lost.

Vandy 79 - 72 (OT)
WKy 67 - 66

I thought they lost those by quite a bit more, like the other two losses that came later.

Notre Dame 86 - 61
Northeastern 75 - 62

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

brownman wrote:... as a 'Patriot' fan having experienced 18 and 0 ... things can go horribly wrong :wink:

Yeah, just ask Pete Carroll.
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bubba wrote:
junior wrote:Beningo talking about Stonybrook right now on the FAN. Has been for a while.

Actually, they're 22 - 4 with an 18 game streak going now.
Yes, undefeated in the last 18 games. That's the talk on NY sports radio. My bad.

Don't really know much about the coach but will listen to him later today with JMac. Should be an interesting interview.