Mosher court date

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Mosher court date

Post by Mister Moose »

Rutland Herald wrote: June 15,2016

On July 31, 2015, at 10:10 p.m., an 1,800-pound pet bull was standing in the darkness of the westbound lane of Route 4 in Killington. What was the bull doing there?

At approximately 10:10 p.m., my husband, Jon Michael Bellis, was killed when our Subaru, traveling at approximately 35-40 mph, crashed into this massive beast as it stood in the middle of our travel lane on Route 4.

Kathryn Barry Bellis is a resident of Woodbridge, Conn., and Killington.
I have never, ever, seen anyone drive this section of Rte 4 at "35 to 40 mph". This may be found to be in error as Mosher's attorney has stated they are doing their own accident reconstruction.

Ms Bellis twice states the bull was standing, and did not jump out onto the road with no time for her husband to react. This is an admission of inability to avoid a fixed large object clearly in view on a wide straight section of state highway. Furthermore, the tractor trailer driver, likely traveling faster than 35mph, demonstrated the ability to "stand on his brakes" and not even touch the bull. An impartial second driver, driving a wider, heavier 2 part tractor trailer, in the same section of road, in the same visibility and weather and road conditions, demonstrated that for an alert driver this did not present a hazard that was unavoidable. He did not run his truck off the road to avoid collision. How does this present criminal liability for Mr Mosher for a less alert driver?

I don't see the difference between one pet bull, two pet bulls, or a hundred pet bulls. There is no difference between not-for-profit farming and for-profit farming.

The accident is tragic, and I am profoundly sorry for the loss of a lifetime friend and husband. However looking to blame the bull's owner, when the cause of escape was an apple tree, when the accident was a few minutes later, and when it is a common expectation in rural Vermont that cows get out (or any other normal road hazard), is placing criminal responsibility in an entirely wrong direction.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

ndscaper wrote:Rutland Herald
A fatal encounter
June 15,2016

On July 31, 2015, at 10:10 p.m., an 1,800-pound pet bull was standing in the darkness of the westbound lane of Route 4 in Killington. What was the bull doing there?

According to a recently released State Police report, shortly before 10 p.m. that night, a milk truck driver had to lock up his brakes on Route 4 to avoid hitting this bull. The truck driver, who knew the bull’s owner, turned around, drove to the owner’s house, leaned on his air horn until the owner came to a window and told him about the loose bull in the road. When the owner did not come out, the truck driver drove farther down Route 4 until he had cell service to call the police. The truck driver called the police at 9:58 p.m. The owner of the bull at 10:37 p.m. told police that he looked for the bull on his property, not where the truck driver had told him to go on Route 4. The owner chose to go back to sleep rather than actually look for the bull, find the bull and effectively restrain the bull.

At approximately 10:10 p.m., my husband, Jon Michael Bellis, was killed when our Subaru, traveling at approximately 35-40 mph, crashed into this massive beast as it stood in the middle of our travel lane on Route 4.

Vermont State Police have verified that the bull was loose on or near Route 4 on May 19, June 20, June 23, July 26 and July 30. It was known that the bull liked apples on the other side of Route 4 at the Val Roc Motel. The State Police received a report of the bull in the road twice on the evening of July 31. They were minutes away, but at 10:13 p.m. it was too late. My husband was dead, and I was found sitting in the dark, surrounded by air bags, shattered glass and mangled metal.

My personal tragedy is about an irresponsible pet owner who repeatedly chose to avoid taking the steps needed to prevent his pet bull from being out on Route 4. This was a pet, not a farm animal. This crash and the resulting criminal case have everything to do with reckless conduct and gross negligence. My husband’s death is not related in any way to farming. The owner, who was not a farmer, was reckless and irresponsible in how he chose to allow his pet bull to be loose on Route 4. As a result, my wonderful husband and best friend of 40 years is now dead, and I am very lucky to be alive.

I am grateful to so many professionals who came to my assistance that night, in particular the Killington Rescue team, the State Police, the emergency room staff at Rutland Regional Medical Center and the Church of our Savior. I am also very grateful for the thorough investigation conducted by State Police and the serious diligence of the state’s attorney to protect the public.

I can't believe the paper printed this letter as is.

This is going to get uglier for everyone involved. Very sad.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

hillbangin wrote:
ndscaper wrote:Rutland Herald
A fatal encounter
June 15,2016

According to a recently released State Police report, shortly before 10 p.m. that night, a milk truck driver had to lock up his brakes on Route 4 to avoid hitting this bull. The truck driver, who knew the bull’s owner, turned around, drove to the owner’s house, leaned on his air horn until the owner came to a window and told him about the loose bull in the road. When the owner did not come out, the truck driver drove farther down Route 4 until he had cell service to call the police. The truck driver called the police at 9:58 p.m. The owner of the bull at 10:37 p.m. told police that he looked for the bull on his property, not where the truck driver had told him to go on Route 4. The owner chose to go back to sleep rather than actually look for the bull, find the bull and effectively restrain the bull.

Vermont State Police have verified that the bull was loose on or near Route 4 on May 19, June 20, June 23, July 26 and July 30. It was known that the bull liked apples on the other side of Route 4 at the Val Roc Motel. The State Police received a report of the bull in the road twice on the evening of July 31. They were minutes away, but at 10:13 p.m. it was too late. My husband was dead, and I was found sitting in the dark, surrounded by air bags, shattered glass and mangled metal.

My personal tragedy is about an irresponsible pet owner who repeatedly chose to avoid taking the steps needed to prevent his pet bull from being out on Route 4. This was a pet, not a farm animal. This crash and the resulting criminal case have everything to do with reckless conduct and gross negligence. My husband’s death is not related in any way to farming. The owner, who was not a farmer, was reckless and irresponsible in how he chose to allow his pet bull to be loose on Route 4. As a result, my wonderful husband and best friend of 40 years is now dead, and I am very lucky to be alive.

I am grateful to so many professionals who came to my assistance that night, in particular the Killington Rescue team, the State Police, the emergency room staff at Rutland Regional Medical Center and the Church of our Savior. I am also very grateful for the thorough investigation conducted by State Police and the serious diligence of the state’s attorney to protect the public.

I can't believe the paper printed this letter as is.

This is going to get uglier for everyone involved. Very sad.
We don't know if the letter was printed as it because newspapers reserve the right to edit letters sent to them.

The apple tree part is kinda funny to me.

There are at least 5 apple trees in the field where the bulls are and there are also three apple trees in my yard, which the bull would have to cross to get to Rt. 4.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

On a lighter note, here's what a community that values their cows does.....

Note the imposing Fort Knox wire fence.....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Do you think the State's Attorney and the Bellis family are trying to counter public opinion? From the Killington Select Board meeting minutes of June 21st:

5. CITIZEN INPUT
Kathryn Berry Bellis – the wife of Jon Bellis, the man who passed away following the accident involving Craig Mosher’s bull on July 31, 2015 – was present to share information and to present information recently released regarding the pending charges against Mr. Mosher.

Mrs. Bellis provided those in attendance with copies of the State’s Notice of Intent to Offer Evidence of Other Crimes, Wrongs, Acts. Mrs. Bellis shared the list of instances when it was reported that Mr. Mosher’s bull was out of the fence and on or near Route 4. Mrs. Bellis shared the details of the night of July 31 as described in the State’s report, including that the driver of a milk truck had stopped at Mr. Mosher’s residence to let him know that his bull was loose on Route 4, and that Mr. Mosher checked on his own property for the bull, rather than where the milk truck driver had noted. Mr. Mosher told police that there had been other reports of his bull being loose when in fact, it was on his property. When Mr. Mosher could not locate his bull, he assumed it was out back of his shop and returned to his residence.

Mrs. Bellis stressed that the State’s Attorney is doing her job, and that the case is about accountability and wants conversations to be led by facts. She also emphasized that Mr. Mosher’s bull was a pet, and that Mr. Mosher is not a farmer.

Mrs. Rosenblum added that Mr. Mosher is an upstanding citizen and many residents will be supporting him regardless.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Bubba wrote:Do you think the State's Attorney and the Bellis family are trying to counter public opinion? From the Killington Select Board meeting minutes of June 21st:

5. CITIZEN INPUT
Kathryn Berry Bellis – the wife of Jon Bellis, the man who passed away following the accident involving Craig Mosher’s bull on July 31, 2015 – was present to share information and to present information recently released regarding the pending charges against Mr. Mosher.

Mrs. Bellis provided those in attendance with copies of the State’s Notice of Intent to Offer Evidence of Other Crimes, Wrongs, Acts. Mrs. Bellis shared the list of instances when it was reported that Mr. Mosher’s bull was out of the fence and on or near Route 4. Mrs. Bellis shared the details of the night of July 31 as described in the State’s report, including that the driver of a milk truck had stopped at Mr. Mosher’s residence to let him know that his bull was loose on Route 4, and that Mr. Mosher checked on his own property for the bull, rather than where the milk truck driver had noted. Mr. Mosher told police that there had been other reports of his bull being loose when in fact, it was on his property. When Mr. Mosher could not locate his bull, he assumed it was out back of his shop and returned to his residence.

Mrs. Bellis stressed that the State’s Attorney is doing her job, and that the case is about accountability and wants conversations to be led by facts. She also emphasized that Mr. Mosher’s bull was a pet, and that Mr. Mosher is not a farmer.

Mrs. Rosenblum added that Mr. Mosher is an upstanding citizen and many residents will be supporting him regardless.
So is Mrs. Bellis going to release her late husband's driving record? His medical history regarding his vision levels? He obviously must have some kind of vision problem if he couldn't see a large animal he was approaching when he closed the distance and the animal appeared in the far edge of his headlight beams... or was he operating with unsafe or defective headlights? Traveling at too high a rate of speed for the conditions? Unable to stop to avoid and object he was approaching? Distracted driving?

Sorry for her loss, but it seems more like she is just looking for a payout...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Bubba wrote:Do you think the State's Attorney and the Bellis family are trying to counter public opinion? From the Killington Select Board meeting minutes of June 21st:

5. CITIZEN INPUT

So is Mrs. Bellis going to release her late husband's driving record? His medical history regarding his vision levels? He obviously must have some kind of vision problem if he couldn't see a large animal he was approaching when he closed the distance and the animal appeared in the far edge of his headlight beams... or was he operating with unsafe or defective headlights? Traveling at too high a rate of speed for the conditions? Unable to stop to avoid and object he was approaching? Distracted driving?

pretty sure she already got a payout in a civil suit vs him...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

ME2VTSkier wrote:

5. CITIZEN INPUT

The payout came in the civil suit that has already settled. This is more a case of the State's Attorney trying to make a case.

As for the actual issues involved, she has already stated that her husband was driving 35 - 40 MPH even though the speed limit there is 50. She also said the bull was standing in the road, which I interpret to mean that he didn't just run out in front of them at the last second. Those two facts together suggest distracted driving, poor headlights, or some other factor that contributed to the accident.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

I can't believe that her attorney and the AG are allowing her to put on a dog and pony show BEFORE a pending criminal trial.

I can't believe that the K Selectmen allowed her to use their meeting as a forum to push her agenda and trial to taint any possible jury pool that may be drawn either from K itself or any place that reads the news of what she is doing.

I don't care what her recollections are. I've interviewed thousands of witness and victims and each remembers what THEY want to remember.

Ever hear of the Rashomon effect.

If there isn't scientific fact in a case like this, tire marks, possibly the on board computer, like a black box, there is no way that a jury should convict anyone.

What she is doing is a travesty of justice.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

SnoBrdr wrote:I can't believe that her attorney and the AG are allowing her to put on a dog and pony show BEFORE a pending criminal trial.

I can't believe that the K Selectmen allowed her to use their meeting as a forum to push her agenda and trial to taint any possible jury pool that may be drawn either from K itself or any place that reads the news of what she is doing.

I don't care what her recollections are. I've interviewed thousands of witness and victims and each remembers what THEY want to remember.

If there isn't scientific fact in a case like this, tire marks, possibly the on board computer, like a black box, there is no way that a jury should convict anyone.

yep seems a bit ridiculous to allow her to use the select meeting as a forum...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

SnoBrdr wrote:I can't believe that her attorney and the AG are allowing her to put on a dog and pony show BEFORE a pending criminal trial.

Agree across the board. Isn't this vindictive? Her husbands gone and that's sad, butt setting out to try and ruin another's life is despicable. She must be a horrible self centered person. Yea, I'd like to see the guys driving record. Yes, shame on the town for allowing this. Bull as a pet. :lol:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

freeski wrote:

Agree across the board. Isn't this vindictive? Her husbands gone and that's sad, butt setting out to try and ruin another's life is despicable. She must be a horrible self centered person. Yea, I'd like to see the guys driving record. Yes, shame on the town for allowing this. Bull as a pet. :lol:
Lost traction due to animal feces in the roadway? I call sh*t.
ImageImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Stormchaser wrote:
freeski wrote:

Lost traction due to animal feces in the roadway? I call sh*t.
Don't laugh: http://www.thelocal.de/20160629/trabi-t ... nail-slime
kram
Green Skidder

Post by kram »

I’m not a physicist but, a vehicle moving at 30-40 mph hitting a 1800lb stationary object and projecting that object up and over your automobles’ roof, killing that object and then having enough momentum to vie off the road and travel another 100 feet only to be stopped by a tree. Something doesn’t add up.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

kram wrote:I’m not a physicist but, a vehicle moving at 30-40 mph hitting a 1800lb stationary object and projecting that object up and over your automobles’ roof, killing that object and then having enough momentum to vie off the road and travel another 100 feet only to be stopped by a tree. Something doesn’t add up.
Will be interesting to see what conclusions the 2 accident reconstruction investigations come up with.