How many days have you skied/ridden in the 2016-2017 season

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: How many days have you skied/ridden in the 2016-2017 sea

Post by Mister Moose »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Bubba's point is the attendance number by itself diminishes unless you are racking up the vertical to prove that you are indeed skiing

Which ski area has the most vertical?
Which ski area has the most vertical off one lift?
Which ski area has the most vertical without a tiresome run-out?
Which ski area has the most trails?
Which ski area has the most trails, not trail segments?
Which ski area has the most snowmaking hydrants?
Which ski area has the most gallons pumped in a season?
Which ski area has the most skier visits?
Which ski area has the most acreage?
Which ski area has the most miles of trails?
Which ski area has the most annual snowfall?
Which ski area has the most 100 day skiers?

Who pulls the highest G force in a turn?
Who gets the highest heart rate?
Who makes the most turns per mile?
Who has the most airborne vertical? (Accumulated height in ski jumping in a day)
Who has the most rotational degrees in the air in a day?
Who has the most moguls in a day?
Who has ridden every chair on Superstar?

You can describe skiing many ways.

I dunno. Numbers are numbers. If I rack up a million feet on the magic carpet am I really skiing? If I sideslip down Ovation all the way am I really skiing? I find on many days when I go out expecting a run or two in lousy conditions it turns out better than expected and I ski for hours. I don't feel the need to ski for a number. One friend tracks speed and shoots for a minimum every day. One friend skis a different trail every run. One friend hikes after the lift closes.

If you're counting scan days, a scan is a scan. There is no such thing as a minimum scan, a loaded scan, an opening scan or a certified scan. You were in the lift maze that day. Skis are optional.
risaisawesome
Beginner On Rentals

Post by risaisawesome »

In addition to skiing every day at K, I also racked up some midweek days mid May out West. Minumum vertical per day 20K. Total vertical for the season 5.6 million. 110K vertical one day at Whistler. But I agree numbers don't matter.
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
tt431 wrote:
Bubba wrote:What constitutes a "ski day"?

How many runs?
Do bump runs count for more than groomed?
How many vertical feet?
How many hours on the hill?
How many hours at the bar or tailgating?

Does being on a Skiers Edge machine count?
If using a virtual reality ski program while using a Skiers Edge, does that count?
It's about having fun in the snow. If you do that, it counts.
BTW, my resume this season is 2.5 M vertical .
Congrats on both your numbers. 118 days is a great attendance record and it requires commitment. The 2.5 million vertical feet measure how hard you ski and again you have a number to be proud of. Bubba's point is the attendance number by itself diminishes unless you are racking up the vertical to prove that you are indeed skiing rather then holding down a barstool. You have put up numbers that are worthy! The ranks of this year's 100 Day Club have really grown as we now have over 200 members. Congrats again.
Thanks GIS. You more than anybody here deserves a lot of credit for all the reports and taking great pictures even in the very cold weather, that takes commitment. Thanks for that.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

madhatter wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
tt431 wrote:
Bubba wrote:What constitutes a "ski day"?

How many runs?
Do bump runs count for more than groomed?
How many vertical feet?
How many hours on the hill?
How many hours at the bar or tailgating?

Does being on a Skiers Edge machine count?
If using a virtual reality ski program while using a Skiers Edge, does that count?
It's about having fun in the snow. If you do that, it counts.
BTW, my resume this season is 2.5 M vertical .
Congrats on both your numbers. 118 days is a great attendance record and it requires commitment. The 2.5 million vertical feet measure how hard you ski and again you have a number to be proud of. Bubba's point is the attendance number by itself diminishes unless you are racking up the vertical to prove that you are indeed skiing rather then holding down a barstool. You have put up numbers that are worthy! The ranks of this year's 100 Day Club have really grown as we now have over 200 members. Congrats again.
honestly just driving to the hill EVERY day is far too much effort and dedication for me....hats off to all you guys and gals that put in the effort regardless of how many runs you make, you all show up, boot up and take the lift up... :Toast
:like :like what hatter said ...

had one 2 and done day. maybe a couple 5-6 run days and a couple 25+ run days. don't take a deduction for 6 or get bonus credit for 25. they all count ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I think it should count as a ski day if you slid on snow (with some kind of equipment on for it, skis, board, mono-ski, snoblades) as long as you smiled or laughed because of it...but since this thread was "most recent", it did make me look up my scan history and I'm at 42. Just hoping for 43 on Thurs! (I wouldn't drive up to hike though, I want (and am assuming there will be) lift assistance)
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

And maybe one more Thursday
An off year total-wise:
Started skiing 1.5 months late and
Spent 4weeks + 6weeks on DL

All said an ON year for pow days, and in spite of some crappy weather, it's been a really nice spring. Great hanging with such a great bunch of folks on the access, sharing and sampling food and brews.

My big question is how many times will I bike before next season?

Fingers crossed for one more day riding the chairs and hanging on the access road!

And wishing Radio Ron a speedy recovery and a strong comeback in 17/18!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 661 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

My count for the year concludes at 107 as I am recovering from gallbladder surgery. Been told I cannot drive for a week and when I do drive it should be only short distances. Also cannot bend for 3 weeks or raise more than 15 lbs for 3 weeks. By that time the season will definitely be over. Enjoy those of you who will make turns if they open in June.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

tyrolean_skier wrote:My count for the year concludes at 107 as I am recovering from gallbladder surgery. Been told I cannot drive for a week and when I do drive it should be only short distances. Also cannot bend for 3 weeks or raise more than 15 lbs for 3 weeks. By that time the season will definitely be over. Enjoy those of you who will make turns if they open in June.
You're there with us in our hearts Ty for those closing days . . . you rocked all year - 107 is definitely something to be proud of - especially since you only had long weekends to count on!!! . . . and, after your wrist injury, you were out there full force to reach your goal!!!

We miss you and hope you're feeling much better after your procedure :wink:
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

My season has concluded as I have an injured right knee and quad. I will not be recovered until after the june 1 day or even a week later. I WILL be on them again next fall!

In honor of 54, I present the Douglass C-54 Skymaster.

The C-54, known as the DC-4 in civilian use was a brought into service mid WWII. Many will recognize this bird as it played a major role in the Berlin Airlift. One was specially outfitted by the Army Air Force and was used by President Truman and was really the very first Air Force One, but was call sign "Sacred Cow". The true use of Air Force One came about in 1953 owing to a near collision with another airliner that happened to use the same call sign as Eisenhower's airplane. On board this aircraft, technically a VC-54C is where Truman signed the legislation that created the Air Force as a separate branch of the military.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

risaisawesome wrote: .. 110K vertical one day at Whistler.

If accurate, that is indeed an impressive tally. :Toast
Most we've ever logged there is ~70k on a groomer day.
Applied Tiger Balm and Kokanee liberally that evening. :wink:

.. Quality vertical is the barometer we rely on.
Pitch, pace, surface and solitude always factor high.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

DES wrote:I think it should count as a ski day if you slid on snow (with some kind of equipment on for it, skis, board, mono-ski, snoblades) as long as you smiled or laughed because of it...

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! The goal of skiing is enjoying the sport in your own way, at your own pace, alone or with friends/family. Counting days on the hill is irrelevant. It's the number of smiles, the experience of taking in the views, seeing the mountains in a new way from day to day and simply having a good time whether that's 200 days, 100 days or the one or two days this past season that you were able to get out there. That's what skiing, and being a skier, is all about.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Bubba wrote:
DES wrote:I think it should count as a ski day if you slid on snow (with some kind of equipment on for it, skis, board, mono-ski, snoblades) as long as you smiled or laughed because of it...

Ding, ding, ding...we have a winner! The goal of skiing is enjoying the sport in your own way, at your own pace, alone or with friends/family. Counting days on the hill is irrelevant. It's the number of smiles, the experience of taking in the views, seeing the mountains in a new way from day to day and simply having a good time whether that's 200 days, 100 days or the one or two days this past season that you were able to get out there. That's what skiing, and being a skier, is all about.
I guess Bubba doesn't take much stock in this thread then.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:

Never have and never will but, if counting days is your thing, have at it. Which, of course, will bring us back to the question "what's a ski day?".
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Nikoli wrote:
Bubba wrote:

It may be irrelevant to you Bubba, but apparently, it is relevant to many on this thread. I agree that bringing smiles and enjoying your ski days with family, friends, or alone - whether they be 200 or 2, is important . . . but, I don't see anyone pointing out those that can only get their certain number of days, as small as they may be . . . why call it irrelevant to those that may find it meaningful?
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I don't "measure" anything, or have any "ski goals", but if it makes any difference, this season not once did I arrive after the lifts started, always before, and I left before the lifts closed 2 or 3 times. Once I stopped for a beer break, and once I stopped for a coffee. Otherwise ski top-to-bottom runs, bell-to-bell with a lunch break and bathroom breaks, and on clear days I like to hike to the summit from the K1. Is that better? To me it isn't, and a couple years ago I skied one run at MRG when Vt was covered in ice...but since I was laughing out loud the entire run/slide down the mt., I still considered that a ski day. To each his own.