Current Weather at 2200' . . .

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Current Weather at 2200' . . .

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Nice sunny morning for some warm up laps on Ramshead.

:like
Attachments
Rams 12.13.16 0910.jpg
Rams 12.13.16 0910.jpg (209.33 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

RustyK wrote:Conditions Report

Monday, December 12, 2016

3:00 pm 12/12/16--It was a restless night here in Killington as powder hungry skiers and snowboarders tossed and turned in anticipation of this morning's fluffy turns. We have received 5 inches so far and the forecast is for snow to continue steadily much of the day.
I was looking for snow QUALITY reports not quantity...as I expected moose report is more in line with reality than "fluffy turns"...
5" counts, but it was dense. Lower aspects were throwing chunks, not spray. Hard work for early season legs.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

it's all designed to make the flatlanders who are reading their daily reports wish they were on the hill, and they will quickly plan their next ski trip by going to the K page to suck up whatever deal happens to be posted there that day. All about the perception that everything is deep soft snow with comfortable sunshine.

Although K might hate to admit it, look how many people came out last Fri and Sat because of the Mass and Ct ski club promotional pricing. Price is critical when you want $105 a day, and discounting sucked them all in for two days. Of course you still have to keep up the emotional pressure with powdery perceptions.

Something I noticed by its absence: I have heard nothing in Connecticut so far this season via radio or TV or billboards about how much snow they are making, how much natural they received, and how great it will be over Xmas/New Years. I know the trend is to go with free electronic blitzes, but they need to create a flatlander buzz and there is nothing special or more attractive about a Killington electronic hit. All of their competition does the same thing, with the same/similar words and exaggerated data. So how does Killington get the point across about their advantages of location for snowmaking & natural, terrain, and nightlife? Seems to me that all of their hard work and spending pre-xmas is not going to get the attention it deserves.

I bet Okemo will have less terrain options yet have longer lines over the holidays. People have grown to trust Okemo, people tend to go where their friends say they are going, and yes I give them the edge in quality of grooming and snowmaking. Sugarbush makes a great product, too. I guess I should be thankful that more trails are getting covered right now, but Killington's success is good for me, too if it results in improvements to chair reliability or even something new.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

da Pimp wrote:Although K might hate to admit it, look how many people came out last Fri and Sat because of the Mass and Ct ski club promotional pricing. Price is critical when you want $105 a day, and discounting sucked them all in for two days.
At it's core, this is a weather business. People just don't come out in significant numbers when it's drizzly, 10 below or chopped up gravel. Put some snow in the air, have the weatherman hype it, and suddenly lift lines triple. Sure, there was a bump from ski club days, but the fact that it snowed Thursday night was a bigger factor. Monday was off the hook for a Monday. Totally due to the 8 inches forecast and the big shield of blue coming at us on the evening radar.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

-10.3 degrees, bluebird skies, no wind (and we're usually in a wind tunnel outside the slider) . . . dress warm!!!
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

MrsG wrote:-10.3 degrees, bluebird skies, no wind (and we're usually in a wind tunnel outside the slider) . . . dress warm!!!
We are experiencing some lift delays due to cold weather.

Needle's Eye Quad has a revised time estimate of 10:30 a.m.

The Snowdon Triple has no time estimate.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Yikes :shock:
Hottronics needs to develop a total body heat package. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Bright sunny day as I arrived at K1 around 7:30. Van temp said -17, yep, minus 17 degrees F. Lucky the wind was not blowing. Oops, scratch the wind thing as it kicked in just before our 8:30 slowdon quad lift. Hope the hill would protect us from the wind, wrong. Top wasn't bad but mid to end of Bunny was brutal. Not a good day to have exposed skin and I always learn the hard way. At least my feet remained somewhat warm.

Hope all that came out had a great day. Finishing off my #2 Martoony before consuming beer and preparing some dinner. Supposed to be a bit warmer Saturday and Sunday, just before returning to the deep freeze. ENJOY!
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

10 degrees, moderate snow not much accumulation yet.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Mister Moose wrote:10 degrees, moderate snow not much accumulation yet.

Several spins out on Rt 4 and Access Road including a tractor trailer just South of the Shops at the Shack.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

48.6 degrees - could our thermometer be having an issue .... well, it's still pretty dark out so it's not the sun! r*ining, and we've lost a lot of snow out the slider - light wind to add to all this good news :|
Oh, the thermometer just turned to 49 :-o

Safe travels to all those getting on the road later!!
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

MrsG wrote:48.6 degrees - could our thermometer be having an issue .... well, it's still pretty dark out so it's not the sun! r*ining, and we've lost a lot of snow out the slider - light wind to add to all this good news :|
Oh, the thermometer just turned to 49 :-o

Safe travels to all those getting on the road later!!
and the better news is the temp drops to about 20 by 5pm and 0 overnight. tomorrow should be interesting ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Talk about the variability of New England weather. Temps of -11 F Friday morning and 49 this morning. That's a 60 degree change in 48 hours! And down to zero tonight - what a roller coaster!! At least the next few days look like decent snow making weather.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Must be a little damage out there somewhere... :sad:
12.18.16 0803.jpg
12.18.16 0803.jpg (134.35 KiB) Viewed 965 times
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Conditions report is static (and likely written the evening before); trail report changes during the day. Lot of trails were open briefly yesterday that are closed now. Probably never made it to the trail report; e.g. Upper Wildfire, Upper Bear Claw, Dream maker. Harping on that kind of inconsistency is a bit silly.