Opening day Report 25 Oct 2016

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Opening day Report 25 Oct 2016

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Snowflakes flying in the cool breeze with plenty of clouds filling the sky. Greeting winter friends with lots of hugs to go around. Gondola opened 15 minutes early much to the delight of the waiting crowd. First day knit hats were passed out as Kait reminded the jostling horde only eight to a car. Summit temperature checked in with a 32 degree high at noon. Stepping off the walkway onto the winter surface had Me grinning from ear to ear. With the roaring snow guns creating a wet funky early season surface attempted a few turns that almost resembled skiing. Safely made it onto the Not-Really-a-Triple chair to go back and give it another go. Settled into a nice grove by the third run were the snow felt like skiing on an overripe melon. Enjoyed the free passholder lunch at the Peak Lodge Bar with the regular crew. Nice kickoff to what we all hope is a long snowy season.

Early Season Grade B

Quote of the Day – The passion of the opening day crowd is incredible.
Attachments
First Walkway Trip.JPG
First Walkway Trip.JPG (90.9 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Rime Warmup.JPG
Rime Warmup.JPG (68.38 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
Mike on Top.JPG
Mike on Top.JPG (143.45 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Manmade Goodness.JPG
Manmade Goodness.JPG (51.9 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Opening day Report 25 Oct 2016

Post by madhatter »

:like :like

and now it's OFFICIAL!!!
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Thanks for the report and pictures, I had a parent teacher conference this afternoon otherwise I would of made the opening. Hopefully I will see the crew this weekend, if anyone is around. Since you where the only one to post pictures of the opening today, GIS remind me I owe you a beer. Thanks for showing myself what I was missing.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Guy in Shorts wrote:.... Settled into a nice grove by the third run ...
You were in the trees already?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Did you have to walk down the stairs too access open terrain? Anybody poach it and ski down to the open terrain?
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Did you have to walk down the stairs too access open terrain? Anybody poach it and ski down to the open terrain?
Yes you had to use to walkway both ways. Leftover natural from Sunday is still poachable but I did not see anyone risk their pass.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Skiman6
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skiman6 »

I know of at least one skier who took out his rocks skis and, skipped the walkway on the way down!
Long Island New York / Killington Vermont
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Stepping off the walkway onto the winter surface had Me grinning from ear to ear.
Reading the first GIS Daily of the season had ME grinning from ear to ear.

Congrats to all who attended.
I'm planning on Thurs and Fri.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Awesome day! God it's good to be back on snow. My face hurts from smiling so hard. I can't stop. They were blowing so much wet snow I looked like a glazed donut. But the best snow was left side right under the guns. Snowboard was the right choice. It carved right through all the weird but creamy snow. Turn, wipe goggles, turn wipe goggles. I needed a skigee on both hands today. Regardless I had an awesome day. Free lunch and a cool hat was just icing on the cake. Thanks Killington!!!

Oh and if your driving up watch your speed. Holy crap Leo was everywhere. If you take the TSP watch out for deer. Holy double crap they were everywhere. Multiple close calls last night and tonight.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Skiman6 wrote:I know of at least one skier who took out his rocks skis and, skipped the walkway on the way down!
I was debating doing that as well but had to go to the peak to get my free lunch.
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Skiman6 wrote:I know of at least one skier who took out his rocks skis and, skipped the walkway on the way down!
I was debating doing that as well but had to go to the peak to get my free lunch.
Were you thinking of skiing uphill?
steamboat1
Post Office

Post by steamboat1 »

Thanks GIS... :like
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

steamboat1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Were you thinking of skiing uphill?
No I meant I was debating skiing to the base instead of climbing the stairs back up.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Thanks K for the first day hat, free lunch and $4 beers at the peak! Nice little bump line on lower Rime formed late afternoon. Good way to start the season.

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

liv4ski wrote:Thanks K for the first day hat, free lunch and $4 beers at the peak! Nice little bump line on lower Rime formed late afternoon. Good way to start the season.

That little bump line was there around 1:30 when I skied it a few times.