And the answer is....

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Stormchaser wrote:What movie?
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The books were a real cult hit in the late 1970's. Kind of a blend between science fiction and Monty Python.

The "42" joke is that they created an incredibly huge computer to give them the answer to "Life, The Universe, and Everything". After centuries of churning on the problem, the computer announces it's solved the problem. When asked for the answer, the computer waffles and says they won't like it. When pressed, the computer says, "42". They then have to commission an even bigger computer to go figure out what the question was. The question is just about computed when the Earth is scheduled to be destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

I wonder if they have key characters like Hotblack Desiato, lead singer with the rock band Disaster Area. The band is so loud that they control their instruments remotely from a spacecraft in orbit around the planet. Hitchhiker's trivia: The name is a pun on a huge London real estate firm called Hott, Black, and Desiato.

Anyways, if you think Monty Python's Holy Grail is a funny movie, go read the Hitchhiker trilogy.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Geoff wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:What movie?
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The books were a real cult hit in the late 1970's. Kind of a blend between science fiction and Monty Python.

The "42" joke is that they created an incredibly huge computer to give them the answer to "Life, The Universe, and Everything". After centuries of churning on the problem, the computer announces it's solved the problem. When asked for the answer, the computer waffles and says they won't like it. When pressed, the computer says, "42". They then have to commission an even bigger computer to go figure out what the question was. The question is just about computed when the Earth is scheduled to be destroyed to make way for a hyperspace bypass.

I wonder if they have key characters like Hotblack Desiato, lead singer with the rock band Disaster Area. The band is so loud that they control their instruments remotely from a spacecraft in orbit around the planet. Hitchhiker's trivia: The name is a pun on a huge London real estate firm called Hott, Black, and Desiato.

Anyways, if you think Monty Python's Holy Grail is a funny movie, go read the Hitchhiker trilogy.

Wait if a movie is funny, i should read something? Lemme tell ya, the movie could be the funniest damn thing in the world, but unless that trilogy happens to be sitting on the back of my toilet for the next 8-16 months, there is absolutely no way you'd get me to read it. Or anything for that matter. My brain has the attention span of a matchstick when it comes to the written word.
ImageImageImageImage
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Last edited by snowsprite on May 4th, '05, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
I like wine.
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

snowsprite wrote:I could never get into that book for some reason. There are a bunch of books everyone thinks are great. The Hobbit is one. This is another one. Watership down, yet another. I could not read any of these, try as I might. They did not "click" with me.
Er, that's not exactly Faulkner and Conrad. It's OK that you haven't read them.
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

snowsprite wrote:I could never get into that book for some reason. There are a bunch of books everyone thinks are great. The Hobbit is one. This is another one. Watership down, yet another. I could not read any of these, try as I might. They did not "click" with me. I read a lot too. (well, comic books...but hey)

Sprite

How could you not like the bunnies???? You weren't even a little bit touched by their plight???

Unbelievable...

:wink:
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I like wine.