Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh yes, of course, allegedly. Wouldn't want to assume guilt in a case that might never actually get to trial if the GOP candidate gets elected and Trump's legal team can get the Trump-appointed judge to delay the trial again.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 10:37 Oh yes, of course, allegedly. Wouldn't want to assume guilt in a case that might never actually get to trial if the GOP candidate gets elected and Trump's legal team can get the Trump-appointed judge to delay the trial again.
I don't see Trump getting elected, but it's too close for comfort. No way this is wrapped up before Nov of next year.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 11:02
easyrider16 wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 10:37 Oh yes, of course, allegedly. Wouldn't want to assume guilt in a case that might never actually get to trial if the GOP candidate gets elected and Trump's legal team can get the Trump-appointed judge to delay the trial again.
I don't see Trump getting elected, but it's too close for comfort. No way this is wrapped up before Nov of next year.
I am getting to the point I would LIKE to see Trump elected so we can be completely done with him in 4 years. He cannot run again per the constitution if he were to win again. Biden sure as hell is not cutting it.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Not cutting it how?

Inflation is dropping every month
Unemployment very low
Longest market winning streak since 1987 and currently sits at 35,459

I get he's not the most inspiring leader and is far too old, but I'm not tremendously disappointed with the economic metrics as of today
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't think it makes sense to judge him based on the economy. The strength or weakness of the economy has little to do with the guy who happens to be President.

I think you judge a president based on their policies and decisions. In that regard, Biden is a mixed bag. I'm not a fan of student loan forgiveness or the continued big spending bills. He went along with Trump's dumb Afghanistan withdrawal plan and that was a disaster. On the other hand, it's hard to find fault with how he's handled Ukraine or China. Domestically, Chips Act is a big win.

On the other hand, I think four more years of Trump would be an unmitigated disaster. Last time he did a lot of damage, particularly in the arena of foreign policy. Many of the bad decisions he made are still having repercussions. Another four years of that kind of mayhem would be pretty bad. Not to mention, he'd probably be worse - look at how's he's acting now. He's like a crazy person, totally unhinged. What do you think he will do when he gets power? Seems like a scary bet to me.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I get what you are saying, but the saying is, "It's the economy stupid". A Republicans constantly run on being the better policy makers when it comes to the economy. That hasn't been true in a very long time
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Dickc wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 14:54
I am getting to the point I would LIKE to see Trump elected so we can be completely done with him in 4 years. He cannot run again per the constitution if he were to win again. Biden sure as hell is not cutting it.
Biden isn’t the best, but he doesn’t make me fear for our country or my families safety.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Is he trolling or are they legit? C’mon man.

Justice Department opposes Trump's request to view classified documents at Mar-a-Lago
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justice-de ... ar-a-lago/
The Justice Department opposes former President Donald Trump's request to view and discuss with his lawyers classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago residence, "the very location at which he is charged with willfully retaining the documents charged in this case," according to a new court filing.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 20:58
Dickc wrote: Jul 28th, '23, 14:54
Biden isn’t the best, but he doesn’t make me fear for our country or my families safety.
It is kind of trendy to "dislike" Biden - I get it, he is uninspiring as a speaker etc, but the reality is that he has done a pretty good job all in all.

- Infrastructure was needed
- Chips Act is a winner
- Veterans' Health Bill is a good thing
- First movement on any sort of gun safety legislation in forever.
- Bidenomics working - Economic related items are trending in the right direction (inflation coming down, unemployment super low, market doing well)
- History will show he is on the right side of social related issues (Women's reproductive care, gay rights etc etc)

Afghanistan was a fustercluck - but it was going to be regardless of who was in charge and he inherited a shitty plan from the administration before him - kudos to Biden for being the one to bite the bullet and get us out.

Hunder Biden is a big nothingburger - yeah he is trainwreck of a person and may pay the piper on some tax items - but he isn't running for president. Its a big distraction being created by Fox news and the rest of the derps.
Don't Killington Pico
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Also i should add that I sympathize with DickC - while I don't know him personally, i suspect he is a Republican the way I (and I sense easyrider) used to be a Republican. DIckC just has not accepted that the Republican party left us long ago - and does not exist anymore. Its a bitter pill to swallow and I'll still vote for the Charlie Baker / Chris Sununnu types in local and state elections - but they don't exist in national politics.
Don't Killington Pico
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

boston_e wrote: Jul 29th, '23, 17:39 Also i should add that I sympathize with DickC - while I don't know him personally, i suspect he is a Republican the way I (and I sense easyrider) used to be a Republican. DIckC just has not accepted that the Republican party left us long ago - and does not exist anymore. Its a bitter pill to swallow and I'll still vote for the Charlie Baker / Chris Sununnu types in local and state elections - but they don't exist in national politics.
I think you’ll find plenty of people here would have considered themselves small government conservatives. Unfortunately, today’s party is far from that model. Given their social viewpoints as well as their undemocratic tendencies, as well as the Trump cultists that populate the party, I simply cannot vote for any Republican at the national level and look suspiciously at those at the state level even here in Vermont. I view them as guilty until proven innocent.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

+1 RINO here.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Bubba wrote: Jul 29th, '23, 18:17
boston_e wrote: Jul 29th, '23, 17:39 Also i should add that I sympathize with DickC - while I don't know him personally, i suspect he is a Republican the way I (and I sense easyrider) used to be a Republican. DIckC just has not accepted that the Republican party left us long ago - and does not exist anymore. Its a bitter pill to swallow and I'll still vote for the Charlie Baker / Chris Sununnu types in local and state elections - but they don't exist in national politics.
I think you’ll find plenty of people here would have considered themselves small government conservatives. Unfortunately, today’s party is far from that model. Given their social viewpoints as well as their undemocratic tendencies, as well as the Trump cultists that populate the party, I simply cannot vote for any Republican at the national level and look suspiciously at those at the state level even here in Vermont. I view them as guilty until proven innocent.
Well, Bubba, I cannot vote for any BIG spending Democrat which is all we've gotten from Biden and company. To misquote the movie Top Gun, their policies are writing checks the country cannot cash, nor afford to.

Prime example, the "affordable" care act. Congress requires spending bills for new programs to balance at the ten year mark. The Democratics met that requirement by taxing varied items for ten years to offset only six years of subsidies. So as of 2020, the ACA is only 60% funded. Miserable fail.

The above is just ONE example of the Democratic parties attempt to spend us into oblivion. I don't believe a single Democrat could take AND pass economics 101. Of course, many Republicans would fail that course too. I just hold out hope the Republicans can stop the run-away spending train before its too late.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Dickc wrote: Jul 30th, '23, 15:22
Bubba wrote: Jul 29th, '23, 18:17
Well, Bubba, I cannot vote for any BIG spending Democrat which is all we've gotten from Biden and company. To misquote the movie Top Gun, their policies are writing checks the country cannot cash, nor afford to.

Prime example, the "affordable" care act. Congress requires spending bills for new programs to balance at the ten year mark. The Democratics met that requirement by taxing varied items for ten years to offset only six years of subsidies. So as of 2020, the ACA is only 60% funded. Miserable fail.

The above is just ONE example of the Democratic parties attempt to spend us into oblivion. I don't believe a single Democrat could take AND pass economics 101. Of course, many Republicans would fail that course too. I just hold out hope the Republicans can stop the run-away spending train before its too late.
When given the choice between someone who willingly subverts the Constitution and someone who supports economic policies I disagree with, the latter will get my support every time. We can fix bad policy. We cannot easily repair democracy.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Dickc wrote: Jul 30th, '23, 15:22 Well, Bubba, I cannot vote for any BIG spending Democrat which is all we've gotten from Biden and company. To misquote the movie Top Gun, their policies are writing checks the country cannot cash, nor afford to.
I agree with this sentiment, but it seems to me that the Republican politicians spend just as much if not more than the Democrats. In fact, the few budget surpluses we've had have been under Democrat Presidents. The problem is that the GOP candidates talk a big game about balancing the budget and cutting spending, then they come in and pass these big tax breaks that blow up the budget without actually cutting spending. It happened under Bush W. and it happened again under Trump.

Obamacare is actually a great example of how Republicans are fiscally irresponsible. They got rid of the health care mandate penalty, which was the cost-saving / revenue generating measure, but they kept the entitlement program. To me, from a fiscal responsibility standpoint, there is little difference between Republican and Democrat.