Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by Stormchaser »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 08:06 Another reason the Georgia state case is a huge problem for Trump:
Unlike many other states and at the federal level, in Georgia, the governor cannot himself issue a pardon upon a convict. Instead, that power is vested in a separate state board, and by law a pardon cannot be granted until five years after the convict has served his time and paid restitution.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/trumps-ge ... prosecutor

If a Republican gets elected to the Presidency, all those federal cases go away. But it looks like no politician can help him with this Georgia case - it's up to the law and the jury, and he has no means to escape if he's found guilty.

I've heard some criticism from some quarters that Georgia should have deferred to the federal case because it's based on the same conduct. But there is no legal reason a state can't charge someone for the same conduct involved in a federal case if what he did violates the state law. Here, I think there are some very compelling reasons for the state case. First, it is far less politically charged as the prosecutor was not appointed by the administration of Trump's main political opponent in the upcoming election. Also, if the GOP wins the presidency, the state case might end up being the only way to hold him accountable for his conduct.
If the GA DA can keep the case in state court...

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/1 ... t-00111240
ImageImageImageImage
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Stormchaser wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 09:10 If the GA DA can keep the case in state court...

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/1 ... t-00111240
Wouldn't really matter if he did. The President still can't stop a prosecution if it's been removed from state to federal court because 1) he has no control over the prosecutor and can't direct her to dismiss the case; and 2) he still can't pardon violations of state criminal law.

In any case, Trump would have to convince a judge that his alleged criminal activity was committed in his capacity as an officer of the federal government. Running for an election is not part of the duties of an officer of the federal government, so I think that's an uphill battle. The article cites to his Stormy Daniel's case, where he tried to do this, and it was rejected.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mark Meadows is already making that argument

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/1 ... t-00111382
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

These arguments don't make a lot of sense. The Hatch Act specifically prohibits Federal employees other than the President and Vice President from engaging in political activity (i.e. campaign/election related activity) while on duty, so it's even more clear with Meadows.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

It's not clear that acts need to be official duties and only need be conducted under the color of office. DT and company may be slimy enough to slither into Federal Court...
(a) A civil action or criminal prosecution that is commenced in a State court and that is against or directed to any of the following may be removed by them to the district court of the United States for the district and division embracing the place wherein it is pending:

(1) The United States or any agency thereof or any officer (or any person acting under that officer) of the United States or of any agency thereof, in an official or individual capacity, for or relating to any act under color of such office or on account of any right, title or authority claimed under any Act of Congress for the apprehension or punishment of criminals or the collection of the revenue.
"Color of office" refers to an act usually committed by a public official under the appearance of authority but exceeds such authority.
ImageImageImageImage
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Stormchaser wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 10:26 It's not clear that acts need to be official duties and only need be conducted under the color of office.
There is some gray area but I'm pretty sure that actions related to re-election are not considered to be part of an officer's official duties, and the Hatch Act is pretty explicit in that regard. Like I said above, and as cited in the article, they tried this in the Stormy Daniel's case and it didn't work. It probably won't work here, either, but who knows. In the end it won't make much difference other than some strategic considerations (jury pool, judge, etc). The state prosecutor will still be the prosecutor and the Federal government can't stop her from proceeding.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Well, this isn't great. The judge assigned to Trump's Georgia case is a 34 year old former prosecutor.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/scott-mcaf ... _lead_pos8

Really wish they would have assigned somebody with considerably more experience on the bench for something this important.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Aug 16th, '23, 14:26 Well, this isn't great. The judge assigned to Trump's Georgia case is a 34 year old former prosecutor.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/scott-mcaf ... _lead_pos8

Really wish they would have assigned somebody with considerably more experience on the bench for something this important.
Somehow Trump avoids jail time or any consequences at all … we all know it. His fate will be decided at the ballot box and and nearly half the country wants authoritarianism.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Darn it Trump stole the football again. I guess we won't get the irrefutable proof the election was stolen like he promised

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

13h
Rather than releasing the Report on the Rigged & Stolen Georgia 2020 Presidential Election on Monday, my lawyers would prefer putting this, I believe, Irrefutable & Overwhelming evidence of Election Fraud & Irregularities in formal Legal Filings as we fight to dismiss this disgraceful Indictment by a publicity & campaign finance seeking D.A., who sadly presides over a record breaking Murder & Violent Crime area, Atlanta. Therefore, the News Conference is no longer necessary!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I bet his lawyers are having a hard time trying to convince him that it doesn't matter whether he can prove election fraud or not. What matters is whether he engaged in the activities alleged in the indictment relating to organizing and sending fake electors to disrupt the electoral college count.

Even if he had irrefutable proof that the election was rigged, that doesn't make it legal to try to send false slates of electors to Congress by fraudulent means. Of course if he had irrefutable proof, he probably would have had some success with the 60-odd court cases he filed challenging the election results, but c'est la vie.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

And this is why Trump supporters are called cultists

https://www.newsweek.com/trump-voters-t ... ll-1821138
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

deadheadskier wrote: Aug 21st, '23, 10:27 And this is why Trump supporters are called cultists

Newsweek: as credible to as National Lampoon. Carry on….
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Heywood jablowmee wrote: Aug 21st, '23, 11:15
deadheadskier wrote: Aug 21st, '23, 10:27 And this is why Trump supporters are called cultists

Newsweek: as credible to as National Lampoon. Carry on….
I'll take things Trump cultists say for $200, Alex
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Interesting WSJ column today analyzing Trump's China trade policy, and how it really wasn't very effective:
In a recent editorial we critiqued President Trump’s proposal for a 10% border tax on anything and everything imported by the U.S., and the self-proclaimed Tariff Man has upbraided us in a letter. This is a good debate to have, and Mr. Trump begins his missive by boasting that while he was in office the trade deficit with China was falling before Covid-19 hit.

But that’s not close to the full story. The goods trade deficit with China did dip somewhat after Mr. Trump launched his global tariff campaign in 2018. At the same time, however, the deficits with Mexico and the rest of the world went up. A trade surplus or deficit isn’t a good measure of success, but since Mr. Trump thinks it is, see the chart nearby. President Biden has left Mr. Trump’s policies in place, so the figures run through last year.

Since 2017, when Mr. Trump entered the Oval Office, goods imports to the U.S. in nominal dollars have increased 174% from Vietnam, 116% from Taiwan, 96% from Bangladesh, 89% from Thailand, 76% from India, and 62% from South Korea. Maybe Mr. Trump should start giving out campaign hats that say “Make Vietnam Great Again.”

Kidding aside, as Beijing turns up the temperature in the Pacific, it’s good for the U.S. to have diverse supply chains, and Mr. Trump’s tariffs no doubt played a role. On the other hand, a shift was probably inevitable, given China’s behavior since Mr. Trump took office.

That includes its regulatory assault on successful private companies, its crushing of Hong Kong, its increasingly documented abuses in Xinjiang, its machinations to extend Xi Jinping’s rule, and its coverup of the origins of the Covid virus. Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo said recently that U.S. companies tell her they see China as “uninvestable.”

If Mr. Trump’s goal was to nudge businesses to friendlier locales, a better U.S. policy was to join the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade agreement that excluded China. But Mr. Trump rejected that deal. The Pacific pact would have boosted trade among a dozen countries, including Vietnam, while offering companies an incentive to set up shop in those places. This approach would have avoided the collateral damage from Mr. Trump’s blunderbuss tariffs, and here we part ways with him again.

He says our editorial cited “debunked talking points from corporate-funded studies,” but the economic evidence is unambiguous that border taxes are passed on to consumers, and Mr. Trump’s tariffs have cost Americans tens of billions of dollars. Readers can look at the analyses and make up their own minds.

But that isn’t all: After other countries retaliated, Mr. Trump bailed out farmers with tens of billions from taxpayers. If a U.S. business found itself suddenly uncompetitive after tariffs raised prices on imported parts or materials, it had to beg a Commerce Department bureaucrat for an exclusion to stay alive.

And for what? As of 2022, the bilateral goods deficit with China was roughly back to where it was in 2017, at least in nominal terms. This isn’t exactly a decoupling. Mr. Trump promised that metal tariffs would revitalize foundries, but U.S. Steel wants a buyer and doesn’t seem saved, and the industry’s job count has hardly budged. America’s total crude steel production last year was slightly lower than in 2017, according to the World Steel Association.

Mr. Trump’s answer, as usual, is to quintuple down in a second term. A universal 10% tariff would “raise taxes on American consumers by more than $300 billion a year—a tax increase rivaling the ones proposed by President Biden,” the Tax Foundation says. Including expected retaliation, it would “shrink the U.S. economy by 1.1 percent and threaten more than 825,000 U.S. jobs.”

Slapping 10% tariffs on everything made by Vietnam, South Korea and other U.S. partners would have the effect of abandoning them to China’s economic sphere, which is the opposite of America’s geostrategic interests.

Mr. Trump’s great mistake is his belief that trade is a zero-sum exercise. But countries and companies trade because they see a mutual advantage. When American consumers buy clothing and Scotch on a global market, while American producers sell soybeans and Boeing jets, the magic is that both sides benefit.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-tru ... opin_pos_1
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I love this board of irony and hypocriticism. My kids reminded me of red hat day at the Peak. January 20 of 2017. Sure I'm a horrible parent to skip school and take the kids skiing. I haven't had time to dig out my old pictures. But i'm sure I'll find a couple of vocal flip floppers on here. It's a free country. God bless you. :like :Toast