Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Post by SnoBrdr »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Please explain/map where at least 1 other lift terminal could be placed at the top of Killington Peak.
Will you STOP letting facts get in the way of his rant.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

GnarDawg wrote:Pretty sure I'm :beat but I have to mention it. I went to Stratton this past weekend for the 1st time ever to use some Max Pass days and I'm blown away by how nice the the lifts are there. I also skied Okemo this year also for the 1st time and their lifts are great too but Stratton has 4 6 six packs and the gondola with 4 lifts going to the peak.

Killington's lift structure is pathetic and embarrassing. It's miserable they only have one lift to the peak and so many fixed grip lifts still around. As a major East Coast player they are falling behind.
Yes it is embarrassing - please tell the 14,000 people who were here on Saturday how bad the lifts are.

The 6 or 7000 that were here today need to be warned..........it was awful today :lol:

Boring yuppie hills need something to get them there - six pack heated bubble chairs and heated walkways seem to attract that crowd.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

irab82 wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:High speed lifts with no increase in capacity makes LONGER LIFT LINES. FACT. The huge lines at popular Killington detachables are a major deterrent to customers. Nothing I hate more than standing in line. Folks paying $100/day to stand in line for half an hour each lift ride aren't coming back anytime soon...
Not sure I agree with this. This weekend, there was a line at Skye Peak Quad during the morning rush; Needles Eye was ski on with no line almost all day; Superstar had a line when the lift stopped because someone fell off while loading but was ski right on the other times we rode it. The major deterrent is the K1 line, which I heard was 40 minutes at one point on Saturday. That just sucks and easily solved with a new Snowden lift.
From what I heard Saturday's skier visits was 14,000+. Sound like a big number but not sure how that ranks.
If a high speed quad gets you up the hill faster than the chair it is replacing, and the intention is not to increase uphill capacity or trail loading, the chair spacing must be further apart. So, your ride takes less time, but the lift line has more people waiting in it...

If there isn't a lift line or much of one, your travel time is reduced. If there is a substantial lift line, you waste any time gained sitting while you stand in line.
ImageImageImageImage
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Stormchaser wrote:
If a high speed quad gets you up the hill faster than the chair it is replacing, and the intention is not to increase uphill capacity or trail loading, the chair spacing must be further apart. So, your ride takes less time, but the lift line has more people waiting in it...

If there isn't a lift line or much of one, your travel time is reduced. If there is a substantial lift line, you waste any time gained sitting while you stand in line.
Classic example of this is the Lookout Double and the four runner at Stowe. Everyone flocks to the four runner because it is faster. Meanwhile there is no line at the double 100 yards away. Yeah, you loose a little vertical by taking the double, but you can still ski all of the good stuff. It undoubtedly takes less time to take the double, even though its slower and a double.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

jimmywilson69 wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

Classic example of this is the Lookout Double and the four runner at Stowe. Everyone flocks to the four runner because it is faster. Meanwhile there is no line at the double 100 yards away. Yeah, you loose a little vertical by taking the double, but you can still ski all of the good stuff. It undoubtedly takes less time to take the double, even though its slower and a double.
And instead of the hill showing how well it can handle big crowds by hiding all of those bodies on chairs, the skiing public sees the enormous lift lines, experiences a few, and takes note for planning future ski trips... Said it many times before, if I must wait I'd rather spend my time sitting on my ass than standing in line. K should be making efforts to improve the chairlift experience (lifts than run well, cushy seats, heated seats, footrests, bubbles, loading platforms, etc.), and abandoning any improvements that makes lift lines longer (ie high speed quads). I've heard complaints about long lift lines, have you ever heard any complaints about all the full chairs? I rest my case.
ImageImageImageImage
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

GnarDawg wrote:IF they ever replace the south ridge chair they could potentially extend that to area just below the peak lodge and you can walk up the stairs to ski off the front to cascade, downdraft and catwalk.
For that to work you either need an angle midstation if you're following the old return line, or you cut off the bottom half of the lift and start it where the turn was. If the goal is to increase capacity to the peak and also replace the SRT I think you'd be better served by cutting an entirely new line past the old return and put the unload right beyond the first Great Northern turn, there's a lot more room there for the station and ramp and you don't need the expense of a midstation.
Also if I was going to put a NEW 6 pack someplace I would put it between the superstar lift and the KMS building and have it unload behind the canyon quad near spill way. Probably have it where they keep the fan gun or the inflatable balloon sometimes.
If I was going to spend the money on a six pack no way would I make it an access lift, not when what it accesses has a lower capacity. All you do there is move the K1 line uphill to the Canyon Quad. What would be interesting is if you replaced Canyon with that HS6, and put an angle midstation where the current Canyon base is. Between that and the gondola you could get a lot of butts up the hill in a hurry without adding to the crowding at the peak.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

eagle628 wrote:
GnarDawg wrote:IF they ever replace the south ridge chair they could potentially extend that to area just below the peak lodge and you can walk up the stairs to ski off the front to cascade, downdraft and catwalk.
For that to work you either need an angle midstation if you're following the old return line, or you cut off the bottom half of the lift and start it where the turn was. If the goal is to increase capacity to the peak and also replace the SRT I think you'd be better served by cutting an entirely new line past the old return and put the unload right beyond the first Great Northern turn, there's a lot more room there for the station and ramp and you don't need the expense of a midstation.
Also if I was going to put a NEW 6 pack someplace I would put it between the superstar lift and the KMS building and have it unload behind the canyon quad near spill way. Probably have it where they keep the fan gun or the inflatable balloon sometimes.
If I was going to spend the money on a six pack no way would I make it an access lift, not when what it accesses has a lower capacity. All you do there is move the K1 line uphill to the Canyon Quad. What would be interesting is if you replaced Canyon with that HS6, and put an angle midstation where the current Canyon base is. Between that and the gondola you could get a lot of butts up the hill in a hurry without adding to the crowding at the peak.
So you want to put a high speed six pack to replace the canyon quad? The one lift you are pretty much guaranteed to NOT have a line at on the busiest Saturday? The only place Killington needs a 6 pack is at ramshead.
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

daytripper wrote: So you want to put a high speed six pack to replace the canyon quad? The one lift you are pretty much guaranteed to NOT have a line at on the busiest Saturday? The only place Killington needs a 6 pack is at ramshead.
I mean, me personally? Not terribly. I rarely ski on weekends anyway, so it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But in the context of putting a six pack to the canyon, I'd rather have one going all the way up. And I'm not a fan of gondolas in general, so any opportunity to avoid K1 I will jump at. I'd just as soon put an HSQ on the Snowdon Triple line to get to the canyon faster. Actually, I really hate gondolas.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Stormchaser wrote:
irab82 wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:High speed lifts with no increase in capacity makes LONGER LIFT LINES. FACT. The huge lines at popular Killington detachables are a major deterrent to customers. Nothing I hate more than standing in line. Folks paying $100/day to stand in line for half an hour each lift ride aren't coming back anytime soon...
Not sure I agree with this. This weekend, there was a line at Skye Peak Quad during the morning rush; Needles Eye was ski on with no line almost all day; Superstar had a line when the lift stopped because someone fell off while loading but was ski right on the other times we rode it. The major deterrent is the K1 line, which I heard was 40 minutes at one point on Saturday. That just sucks and easily solved with a new Snowden lift.
From what I heard Saturday's skier visits was 14,000+. Sound like a big number but not sure how that ranks.

I'd much rather stand in line and have a short quick ride, than freeze my ass off on a slow assed, long ride time, constantly stopping chair.

Helluva lot warmer at the bottom in line than in mid-air.

Moot point anyhow. You couldn't pay me to ski at Killington on a weekend, especially if there was 14k other skiers there. Kind of pointless to pay big money (If you aren't a passholder) to ski for the day, and only ski for a few hours before the hordes of people ski it all off, or it's too crowded to be enjoyable.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

eagle628 wrote:
daytripper wrote: So you want to put a high speed six pack to replace the canyon quad? The one lift you are pretty much guaranteed to NOT have a line at on the busiest Saturday? The only place Killington needs a 6 pack is at ramshead.
I mean, me personally? Not terribly. I rarely ski on weekends anyway, so it doesn't bother me one way or the other. But in the context of putting a six pack to the canyon, I'd rather have one going all the way up. And I'm not a fan of gondolas in general, so any opportunity to avoid K1 I will jump at. I'd just as soon put an HSQ on the Snowdon Triple line to get to the canyon faster. Actually, I really hate gondolas.

I agree 100℅ on hating gondolas, I hate taking my skis off and sitting in the germ box, but a six pack up the canyon is a huge waste of money
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
irab82 wrote:

I'd much rather stand in line and have a short quick ride, than freeze my ass off on a slow assed, long ride time, constantly stopping chair.

Helluva lot warmer at the bottom in line than in mid-air.

Moot point anyhow. You couldn't pay me to ski at Killington on a weekend, especially if there was 14k other skiers there. Kind of pointless to pay big money (If you aren't a passholder) to ski for the day, and only ski for a few hours before the hordes of people ski it all off, or it's too crowded to be enjoyable.
Crowds do suck on Saturday, but even then they are avoidable.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

What if Killington stayed independent through the years and still had all of the land. No ASC and PWDER taking money out, all profits spent on Killington. Might be a different picture today... :beat :ear
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Please explain/map where at least 1 other lift terminal could be placed at the top of Killington Peak.
Back in the day there was 2, butt only 6 seats total to the top. You have to balance trail capacity with lift capacity or begins to suck real fast.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

daytripper wrote:
eagle628 wrote:

I agree 100℅ on hating gondolas, I hate taking my skis off and sitting in the germ box, but a six pack up the canyon is a huge waste of money
:like

Same problems elsewhere in the east

http://community.sundayriver.com/forum/ ... 4#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

daytripper wrote:
eagle628 wrote:
Love riding the K1 Gondola. Best lift on the mountain.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.