Vail buys Stowe

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Vail buys Stowe

Post by SnoBrdr »

BoozeTan wrote:if I remember right, the pass prices are usually released in mid April with the early pricing good till October. I may be wrong though
From The Drift dated 3/24/16: Now is also the time to start thinking about renewing your season pass. 2016-17 Killington Season Passes are on sale now, and whether you need an Unlimited, Blackout, Midweek, or Student Pass, you’ll find a Killington Season Pass priced to fit your budget.

So they were on sale on that date if not before, which is a week later, so far than last year.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Killington has a number of things going for it that Stowe doesn't:

- More terrain and lift capacity, plus Pico on top of that right next door.
- Far more snowmaking that tends to provide more consistent skiing in a marginal snow year.
- Far longer season, like 2+ months.
- Closer to all metro areas, it is possible to travel to Killington for a long weekend from the greater NYC area, PA and NJ, it's 1.5+ hour more to Stowe from that direction. You can really only reasonably hit Stowe from Central CT, MA, NH and greater Albany, it's 45 minute more to Stowe from Boston vs. Kton.
- More reasonable real estate market, with a large amount of cheaper secondary housing 15+ minutes away.
- Far better nightlife for single people.

What does this mean for pass prices? I'll bet that Killington thinks they have a lock on their customers, if they were going to leave, they would have left when POWDR raised prices and screwed everything up in 2007. Don't expect them to try to directly compete with Vail on price, it's not POWDR's style.
Last edited by Highway Star on Mar 29th, '17, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

SnoBrdr wrote:
BoozeTan wrote:if I remember right, the pass prices are usually released in mid April with the early pricing good till October. I may be wrong though
From The Drift dated 3/24/16: Now is also the time to start thinking about renewing your season pass. 2016-17 Killington Season Passes are on sale now, and whether you need an Unlimited, Blackout, Midweek, or Student Pass, you’ll find a Killington Season Pass priced to fit your budget.

So they were on sale on that date if not before, which is a week later, so far than last year.
Clearly they are reacting to the Vail situation. They heard the rumors like everyone else months ago, the public announcement weeks ago, then the reality of the pass pricing this week. I'm sure they're contemplating how many pass sales it will pull away from them, and possibly doing some demographic analysis based on where their pass-holders live. Obviously they can expect to lose more from the greater Boston area than from NYC. I'd expect day ticket prices at Stowe to jump a bit, so they probably aren't as concerned about their weekend and premium vacation market, until Stowe starts expanding.

Perhaps they are also working hard on their capital improvement package. POWDR could be sitting on a pile of equity from the Park City sale, and the last major winter improvement was the Peak Lodge several years ago. They did just buy Eldora in CO, but I'll take a wild guess that was in the $10-15M range, it's a small resort. The Village has also been announced to be making some sort of progress on getting to an actual groundbreaking. Perhaps they are considering the Snowdon Quad upgrade, a more complicated lift upgrade and reconfiguration, or even the Interconnect. Or maybe they aren't planning anything significant beyond the Bear lodge renovation.

Perhaps this will work to agitate POWDR's grudge against Vail. While Stowe hasn't posed much threat to Killington's lucrative premium vacation market, Vail's marketing and synergies will move that threat up a notch. If Stowe starts expanding, it could potentially become a real threat. It may also impact the real estate market, with the Village coming in. Perhaps this will spur POWDR to make upgrades and expansions faster than they normally would, they could be planning a large preemptive move this year to take the wind out of Vail's sails. If it was me, this would be the perfect time to drop in the Interconnect, to take the limelight away from Vail-Stowe.
Last edited by Highway Star on Mar 29th, '17, 22:15, edited 3 times in total.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Likely, the latter.
Mike can't be sleeping well these days. :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
nsvencer1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by nsvencer1 »

$899 Adult pass before June 15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XueC4w8ir-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

this page:

http://www.killington.com/site/tickets/ ... son_passes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

isn;t updated yet BUT if you click buy now it takes you here:

http://buy.killington.com/eStore/Conten ... .1.utmcsr=(direct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=84805274

2017/18 Season Passes

Price Qty
Adult Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 30-64 $899.00 Add To Cart
Youth Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 7-18 $539.00 Add To Cart
Senior Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 65-79 $539.00 Add To Cart
29-Below Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 19-29 $599.00 Add To Cart
Midweek Pass - 17/18
Valid Monday-Friday excluding restricted dates: 12/25-12/29/17; 2/19-2/23/18 $479.00 Add To Cart
4.0 The College Pass - 17/18
Must be a full-time college student for both Fall and Spring semesters of the 2017/18 season. $369.00 Add To Cart
Youth Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 7-18 $192.24 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $190.45 Add To Cart
Senior Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 65-79 $192.24 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $190.45 Add To Cart
Midweek Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
$169.77 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $171.19 Add To Cart
29-Below Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 19-29 $213.64 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $211.65

looks like no blackout passes...

EDIT fixed now...

http://www.killington.com/site/tickets/ ... son_passes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

madhatter wrote:this page:

isn;t updated yet BUT if you click buy now it takes you here:

http://buy.killington.com/eStore/Conten ... .1.utmcsr=(direct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=-&__utmk=84805274

2017/18 Season Passes

Price Qty
Adult Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 30-64 $899.00 Add To Cart
Youth Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 7-18 $539.00 Add To Cart
Senior Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 65-79 $539.00 Add To Cart
29-Below Unlimited Pass - 17/18
Ages 19-29 $599.00 Add To Cart
Midweek Pass - 17/18
Valid Monday-Friday excluding restricted dates: 12/25-12/29/17; 2/19-2/23/18 $479.00 Add To Cart
4.0 The College Pass - 17/18
Must be a full-time college student for both Fall and Spring semesters of the 2017/18 season. $369.00 Add To Cart
Youth Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 7-18 $192.24 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $190.45 Add To Cart
Senior Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 65-79 $192.24 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $190.45 Add To Cart
Midweek Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
$169.77 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $171.19 Add To Cart
29-Below Unlimited Pass - 17/18 Payment Plan
Ages 19-29 $213.64 will be automatically charged on Aug. 1 and Oct. 1 $211.65

looks like no blackout passes...

EDIT fixed now...

So a Full pass is $140 cheaper than last year if bought early.

They say it's $240 but there's no mention of Beast Bucks, so you lose $100 there.

Least the price went down.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

http://vtskiandride.com/vail-buys-vermont/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vail Buys 17 Resorts and Vermont

:wink:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Vail to bring in own people to lead Stowe

http://vermontbiz.com/news/april/vail-b ... -286323177" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

should workout better than powder
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Does this poor bastard with a great middle management gig know what he's in for up there...........

Bobby Murphy, a longstanding leader with Vail Resorts and the current Vice President of Vail Mountain Skier Services, will assume the role of Stowe’s General Manager. Bobby is a 30-year industry veteran and brings extensive leadership to the guest experience and ski area operations.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

hillbangin wrote:Does this poor bastard with a great middle management gig know what he's in for up there...........

Bobby Murphy, a longstanding leader with Vail Resorts and the current Vice President of Vail Mountain Skier Services, will assume the role of Stowe’s General Manager. Bobby is a 30-year industry veteran and brings extensive leadership to the guest experience and ski area operations.
Is the crowd at Stowe that much different from K ?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SnoBrdr wrote:
hillbangin wrote:Does this poor bastard with a great middle management gig know what he's in for up there...........

I meant he's moving west to east.....what a dope.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

hillbangin wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

I meant he's moving west to east.....what a dope.
certainly a different set of challenges but hardly qualifies him as a dope.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

When you said "up there" it sounded like compared to Killington.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.