Vail buys Stowe

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: Vail buys Stowe

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Vail Resorts looks forward to integrating Stowe Mountain Resort into its Epic Pass and other season pass products for the 2017-18 winter season, subject to the acquisition closing. With the Epic Pass, Vermont skiers and snowboarders will have unlimited access locally at Stowe at an attractive price as well as the best of the West at Vail, Beaver Creek, Breckenridge and Keystone in Colorado; Park City in Utah; Heavenly, Northstar and Kirkwood in Tahoe; and Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, Canada.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
RENO wrote:The CEO of Vail already said that Stowe would be part of the Epic pass like every other resort under them...
Wouldn't surprise me at all. They'll walk into the Northeast, drop the hammer, and look around at every other Northeastern Resort operator and state:

"So what are you going to do now?"
My guess is Killington will do nothing and continue as they have. Doubtful there will be any pass price drop...
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

Sugarbush takes Stowe's place on the mountain collective. Smart move IMO
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

My thoughts on the Epic Pass and Stowe.............I always want to buy a pass to Killington but I know I won't make it up enough to make it worth it. I was planning on buying a max pass again next year, a few of the $k63 tickets to supplement and plan a trip to WP and Steamboat. I live 2.5 hours to the Skyship base and 3 hours to Stowe. If they put Stowe on the unlimited Epic Pass I'll most likely be buying the Epic Pass next year and head back out to the Front Range.

What will Killington do to make me stay or buy a pass?

IMO if I'm Killington and Vail adds Stowe to the Epic Pass - I would raise a day ticket to $150 to $175 and cut the price of every pass in half - at least.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

blakeslee_a wrote:Sugarbush takes Stowe's place on the mountain collective. Smart move IMO
Right On !

.. and adding days to the Cottonwood and Banff portfolio adds good value .. now at $399. :-)
Doing all they can to remain relevant. :like

Gnar, at $150/day at Killington, they won't need any lift replacement. Crickets will rule.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Any guess on how many season passes at Killington vs Stowe??

If Stowe cuts the price in half - they have to sell twice as many passes - that won't be easy.

The average skier does not do that out west math.

We are all warped here - we have a skiing problem..........
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Sugarbush, Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin on the Mountain Collective makes that very attractive. Three days at the Bush and 2 each at the UT resorts easily covers the $400 price tag (and kids are $1). Subsequent tickets are 50% off.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

IIRC aren't Killington and Pico pass prices usually released about now? I wonder if they are waiting to see what Stowe does before releasing pricing?
Don't Killington Pico
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Kinda makes it a no brainer to buy in on Stowe. They make skiing out west affordable. I can get early and late skiing at K with an express pass. No offense to Mike. His hands are tied. They took away south ridge. Devils fiddle. Made Rams head shorter. No more sunrise. Sky ship is limp with only 2 stages. I'm insane to support k. The season pass price must come down. Wtf?
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

ANGUS wrote:Kinda makes it a no brainer to buy in on Stowe. They make skiing out west affordable. I can get early and late skiing at K with an express pass. No offense to Mike. His hands are tied. They took away south ridge. Devils fiddle. Made Rams head shorter. No more sunrise. Sky ship is limp with only 2 stages. I'm insane to support k. The season pass price must come down. Wtf?
Unfortunately you are right. I am a Killington condo owner. Sadly, I spend more time out west at a Vail owned resort (fortunately staying in time share exchanges) than I do at Killington. I have been buying an Epic Pass for years (auto-renewing every spring). This year's renewal is $639, with $49 charged now and the balance in the fall. I ski at Killington using the Owners Express Card - first ticket is free, card is half price to owners who use Killington rental program.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Killington is good at the down the hill part of skiing, butt lacks in up the hill. :seeya
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

I see Sugarbush has joined the Mountain Collective Pass. I see that as an alternative to the Epic Pass with Stowe, especially for those going to Utah vs Colorado with Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin included.
https://mountaincollective.com/?utm_sou ... S17strike1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

I don't think that's true at all - you raise the window price to $150 and keep promoting the buy in advance at cheaper prices or buy passes. It seems to be working for the big resorts out west. I think it would work here.

The model here is outdated and outpacing what people can pay. I already know that a Killington pass whether it's the full or the blackout would never make sense for me since I'm a day tripper with an occasional weekend trip.

If the full pass was $700 my wife, kid and I would all have one and I'd plan vacations around coming up to the mountain.

brownman wrote:
blakeslee_a wrote:
Gnar, at $150/day at Killington, they won't need any lift replacement. Crickets will rule.

Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

spanky wrote:Sugarbush, Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin on the Mountain Collective makes that very attractive. Three days at the Bush and 2 each at the UT resorts easily covers the $400 price tag (and kids are $1). Subsequent tickets are 50% off.
Can you expand with details on the kids are $1- part of this statement?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Gnar, what you describe may be a good Express Pass use case.
Full pass @ $700 is not likely in the cards .. unless Vail decides to declare war on Vermont.

Coaster, adults buying an Epic Pass can buy their kids same pass for $1.

Forever .. Goat Path