NYC First Thursday

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

borgy
Slalom Racer

NYC First Thursday

Post by borgy »

First Thursday will be held at the following restaurant http://www.arkrestaurants.com/section_h ... urant_id=7 this month. It's Cinco de Mayo and should be fun. Usually starts around 7pm. The May first thursday was at this same place last year and was a blast. They have an outdoor patio and the weather looks like it's going to be nice. :D

I'm definately going
1918 lives
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Make sure you're drinking the Cadillac Margaritas. Made with 5 different tequilas. Throw back 4 or 5 of those and enjoy the ride!
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

Cityskier wrote:Make sure you're drinking the Cadillac Margaritas. Made with 5 different tequilas. Throw back 4 or 5 of those and enjoy the ride!

Why don't you join the fun?-- you can harass the crap out of all us Yankee fans.
1918 lives
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

borgy wrote:
Cityskier wrote:Make sure you're drinking the Cadillac Margaritas. Made with 5 different tequilas. Throw back 4 or 5 of those and enjoy the ride!

Why don't you join the fun?-- you can harass the crap out of all us Yankee fans.
I'm going golfing in NJ tomorrow. If I get back in time maybe I'll swing by...
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

^bump^

anyone from the zone going????
1918 lives
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

borgy wrote:^bump^

anyone from the zone going????
Can't join you for any of these as I work from home on Thursdays.
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

Went to First Thursday last night--- Got to the place el Rio Grand about 7:15 only to find a line approximately 30-45 minutes long to get in. :shock:

Went to the other side on 37th street and there was a shorter line-- about 15 minutes. Finally got through the ID check only to find another line :shock: Waited about 10 minutes and finally got in. It was so effin packed inside. I walked through the kitchen to get to the 38th St side and it was even more packed. I couldn't even get near the bar to get a drink. Saw one person I knew, said hello and bailed. What a waste of time. I wish they would have these things in a less crowded establishment so that you could at least socialize a little without getting pushed and shoved all over the place.

Walked back to Port Authority--- grabbed a road soda for the 15 minute bus ride home.

Maybe the June first thurs will be better.
1918 lives
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

That place is packed on your average sunny Thursday in the summer. It must have been ridiculous with all of the amateurs out for Cinco de Mayo. Sorry your trip was a bust...it can be a fun hang under the right conditions.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

borgy wrote:Went to First Thursday last night--- Got to the place el Rio Grand about 7:15 only to find a line approximately 30-45 minutes long to get in. :shock:

Went to the other side on 37th street and there was a shorter line-- about 15 minutes. Finally got through the ID check only to find another line :shock: Waited about 10 minutes and finally got in. It was so effin packed inside. I walked through the kitchen to get to the 38th St side and it was even more packed. I couldn't even get near the bar to get a drink. Saw one person I knew, said hello and bailed. What a waste of time. I wish they would have these things in a less crowded establishment so that you could at least socialize a little without getting pushed and shoved all over the place.

Walked back to Port Authority--- grabbed a road soda for the 15 minute bus ride home.

Sorry to hear it was a bust for you Borgy. Sounds like a lot of people came out for this one. They are all probably trying to hook up for summer homes in the Hamptons at this time of the year. Doesn't that summer beach season start on Memorial Day?
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
borgy wrote:Went to First Thursday last night--- Got to the place el Rio Grand about 7:15 only to find a line approximately 30-45 minutes long to get in. :shock:

Sorry to hear it was a bust for you Borgy. Sounds like a lot of people came out for this one. They are all probably trying to hook up for summer homes in the Hamptons at this time of the year. Doesn't that summer beach season start on Memorial Day?

I'd be willing to bet the crowds had nothing to do with First Thursday. That place is a Happy Hour hotspot. Pretty much every tequila spot was a hotspot yesterday.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Cityskier wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:

I'd be willing to bet the crowds had nothing to do with First Thursday. That place is a Happy Hour hotspot. Pretty much every tequila spot was a hotspot yesterday.
You are probably right Citiskier about the reason it was so crowded. I just thought that if more people showed up for First Thursday that it was because they wanted to make arrangements for the summer season.
borgy
Slalom Racer

Post by borgy »

Cityskier wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:

Out of the usual first thursday crowd that I know I only saw one person. The crowds were because it was Cinco de Mayo 05.05.05.

Still, they usually have first thursday in a crowded bar. I am a firm believer in networking to meet more people, etc, but when it is so crowded that you can't stand in one spot for a second, fogettaboutit. I feel like I'm at the Lookout on Saturday at HH. :roll:
1918 lives
panelman01
Bumper

????????????

Post by panelman01 »

Would one of you be kind enough to
explain what First Thursday is?

:?: . :?:

Thx.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange. Maybe on some high cold mountain range.
borgy
Slalom Racer

Re: ????????????

Post by borgy »

panelman01 wrote:Would one of you be kind enough to

Thx.

A group of people that get together every 1st thursday of the month. Different location each month. The people that go that I know are from various Killington ski houses, they bring friends, friends bring friends etc. Great network to meet people.

NYC and Boston have one that I know of.
1918 lives
panelman01
Bumper

Re: ????????????

Post by panelman01 »

borgy wrote:
panelman01 wrote:Would one of you be kind enough to

Thx.

A group of people that get together every 1st thursday of the month. Different location each month. The people that go that I know are from various Killington ski houses, they bring friends, friends bring friends etc. Great network to meet people.

NYC and Boston have one that I know of.

Borgy -
Thanks for the reply. Do you post the wheres and whens
on this site?
What are the demographics? Kids? Seniors? Mix?
Thx again.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange. Maybe on some high cold mountain range.