Bear Mountain Renovation

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Bear Mountain Renovation

Post by Mister Moose »

Sugarbush's next project is Gadd Brook condos. 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units 1 building from the Village beginners lift. Unit 106 is a 3 bedroom, 1,707 sq ft, for $830,000. That's $486/sq ft.

http://www.sugarbush.com/sugarbush-livi ... -property/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:Sugarbush's next project is Gadd Brook condos. 2, 3, and 4 bedroom units 1 building from the Village beginners lift. Unit 106 is a 3 bedroom, 1,707 sq ft, for $830,000. That's $486/sq ft.

http://www.sugarbush.com/sugarbush-livi ... -property/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow....That seems as nutty as 900K Topridge condos - I mean 600K condos at Topridge.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Guess they are thinking of getting this going again, just got a survey from K where most questions were about the bear condos between OL n fiddle. Also a few questions about covid.

http://links.powdr.mkt8305.com/ctt?ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Just update the lodge.

Forget about the rest.
Where is Happy Hour ?
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

Just got the same survey. Look, if K wants to let some developer buy that land and develope it, I suppose have at it. But if K is heavily involved, the last thing they need right now is more lodging out at the extremities of the resort. IMHO they would be served best by the long since dreamt base village and focusing all efforts on that.
GMCrra
Blue Chatterbox

Post by GMCrra »

I believe the deal was to have the developer update Bear lodge and return a fee for each unit sold to K in return for the land and rights. And it doesn't require SP land.

Low risk way to get lodge updated, and hopefully a longer season at Bear. Seems ok to me.

Except, not sure they have room for all the amenities people expect when dropping $800k, and they need more conveniences in that area.
NJ SKI
Beginner On Rentals

Post by NJ SKI »

With the increase in individuals moving out of the cities the real estate market has greatly improved. That may be leading to renewed interest and even potential financial viability of a project like this.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Interest in vacation property has increased a lot the last few months! People these days with the pandemic mess want their own place to vacation instead of staying at stinkin motels. You can see the demand for property in Killington alone with the big increases in home and condo prices. RV's are also flying off the lots! We looked into them also and almost everything we looked at was sold out for the next few months. Fortunately we have a condo at K and it's great not having to worry whether it's been cleaned properly and how many people stayed in it. We don't rent...
Uncle Rico
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nobody wants to put condos between fiddle and OL. Absolutely would ruin the mountain. Condos or rentals anywhere directly on bear mountain is just ugly and ruins the look and feel of the mountain. Dont see why they would put it there. Aren't there better spots for this?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

GMCrra wrote:I believe the deal was to have the developer update Bear lodge and return a fee for each unit sold to K in return for the land and rights. And it doesn't require SP land.

Low risk way to get lodge updated, and hopefully a longer season at Bear. Seems ok to me.

Except, not sure they have room for all the amenities people expect when dropping $800k, and they need more conveniences in that area.

Developer was also supposed to pay for the South Ridge Quad, I wonder if there is another improvement that could be part of the deal or just be required to reimburse Powdr for the cash that was already paid out?
Last edited by Big Bob on Jul 29th, '20, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Big Bob wrote:
GMCrra wrote:I believe the deal was to have the developer update Bear lodge and return a fee for each unit sold to K in return for the land and rights. And it doesn't require SP land.

Developer was also supposed to pay for the South Ridge Quad, i wonder if there is another improvement that could be part of the deal or just be required to reimburse Powdr for the cash that was already paid out?
Um no. I believe it was a Bear Quad replacement.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Negative. All the same...what's the relentless infatuation with another gentleman's biz venture?....not like its your money or anything....
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Uncle Rico wrote:Nobody wants to put condos between fiddle and OL. Absolutely would ruin the mountain. Condos or rentals anywhere directly on bear mountain is just ugly and ruins the look and feel of the mountain. Dont see why they would put it there. Aren't there better spots for this?
They’re planned for the area between the bases of the slopes, not trail side if that’s your concern.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Uncle Rico wrote:Nobody wants to put condos between fiddle and OL. Absolutely would ruin the mountain. Condos or rentals anywhere directly on bear mountain is just ugly and ruins the look and feel of the mountain. Dont see why they would put it there. Aren't there better spots for this?
Bear is (or at least was) the Miami Beach of ski areas in the East. Skiing is only half the fun. Condos with backyard parties on bluebird spring days would only ad to the Bear mountain ambiance in the spring. If they tried building these at SB's Castlerock or MRG it'd be a lot different, but Bear has never been about "being one with nature"- it's about music, grills, beer, and people watching. I don't see how condos would hurt that.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

The conceptual plans were for units between where the Fiddle quad was and the parking lot. There is a lot of unused acreage there. That area looks like a Walking Dead scene as it is. Also in between DF and OL below Spacewalk.

If they can get new pipes on Fiddle, and a Bear Lodge then it benefits everyone.

It would be nice to see a rebounding real estate market and an increase in skier visits to get some focus on that side of the ski resort to take some of the heat off the West basin. That will also benefit the homeowners in Sunrise.