Bear Mountain Renovation

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Bear Mountain Renovation

Post by Snowboardgod »

Highway Star wrote:Is this going to happen before or after the base village?
Neither... it will in fact happen between the next two World Cup events... making it 3 total... after they were not even supposed to pull off the first WC event according to you. :)
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

GlacierBoy wrote:That Space Walk trail across the bottom mid of OUTER LIMITS will be a green traverse? That's gonna bisect OL and destroy the nice flow of the trail! Killington will destroy another good trail with another unsafe, crappy trail instersection.
There are 18 duplexes shown. Say they are 3 bedroom with 6 people in each at 60% occupancy on an average non holiday weekend. That's 65 people. They go home for lunch between 12 and 1. In groups of 3 that's one group crossing OL every 3 minutes, the rest of the time the traffic will be minimal. No one else is going to use the trail. Space Walk was built to service the DF quad, now gone.

►If the trees depicted are the trees that are there now, not much loss of BMMC campsites will be happen. Looks like there's room as depicted to me. Some of the palatial sites might have to get more efficient.
brownman wrote: Looking at the Bear Lodge renovation rendering, that south side solarium is gonna be one wicked sauna chamber.
You mean west facing. Just like KBL. Big Blinds.com order.

►How are the tunnels going to be kept from being an icy luge run? No natural snow, high traffic, narrow path. Think Great Eastern right after SPE, but worse. Maintenance intensive. It's going to be more like the Cross Bronx Expressway than a pretty wooded trail in Vermont.

Those duplexes will be the best ski in - ski out units on the mountain (ski from your door, and no slow triple to bring you to the skiing, you are there already) until the Ramshead units are built, quite some time from now. Bear will have better food, and the waters get tested on how many new condos a year can get sold. I think its a great use of existing land for development, with some tweaks for future expanded parking, a permanent easement for BMMC parties, and a big fire pit/bar/deck/grill at the Bear Lodge.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

South or West or whatever facing, that lodge will need to run Air Conditioning year round.
With all that glass and the traditional ambient temperature at that location, they'll need tons of flypaper.
( though not as infested as the peak lodge was before the wrecking crew arrived :wink: )
THAT was absolutely disgusting :dislike

For years, we've called Bear Lodge the 'locker room'.
Plentiful room upstairs, but women dislike it because they have to schlep to the basement to the lavatory.
Like most stuff here, was good back when it opened.
Hoping for the best !

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

I love it, way to go Mike, definitely a huge step in the right direction. It will be great to lap South Ridge again, some of the most interesting terrain Killington has to offer. Love the idea of having the snowshed crossover back with bridges and tunnels too. The mountain skied so much better with both of those options for circulation.

Great location for slope side real estate too.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bear Lodge was my normal home base years back when it was much newer. Lost it's luster so I moved to Skyeship Base than finally made Bay 1 my home. Starting many days in shorts riding up to the top of the mountain lets me decide if I can survive. Can make the Peak to Outer Limits for a warm up but you can't get from Bear to warm up on Cascade. Slopeside digs in Lower Centerpiece trees might be enough to bring Me back to Bear. Love this plan and see very little downside. If it goes well we may see the village. If it is a bust the decline will continue.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

They should put the road in the tunnel and have a ski bridge like the one at Sunday River. A couple of advantages to this configuration.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

specialp wrote:Some people are never happy. Consistently on the Season Pass holder survey I pointed out the flow issues from Bear. Skye Peak Express is the busiest lift and day skiers are always funneled to bear with only one way out. The south ridge chair will give us an easy way to escape to the Canyon area quickly when Bear gets too busy on Saturdays after 10:30 or so. The tunnels and bridges for the crossover will restore a critical exit out of Bear to snowshed too. You ever try to explain to a new visitor how to get to snowshed from Bear?

This is a very good thing, and it is great Killington is doing it.
Also it's nice to lap OL/DF without the cluster on top of SPQ.

What's the pre construction price?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

In my opinion why not turn all of the condos 90 degrees and have direct access to the ski trail, get rid of the parking under the condos as shown. No need to repeat the mountain green incident. Can make a mini Bear Village. Possibly some retail, a few places on ground floor that are commercial. A walking path between the condos and the trail down to the new bear lodge, This is a poor layout of the condo buildings. What view do you have looking at the building next to you? Where is your view of the valley or mountain.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

biged wrote:In my opinion why not turn all of the condos 90 degrees and have direct access to the ski trail, get rid of the parking under the condos as shown. No need to repeat the mountain green incident. Can make a mini Bear Village. Possibly some retail, a few places on ground floor that are commercial. A walking path between the condos and the trail down to the new bear lodge, This is a poor layout of the condo buildings. What view do you have looking at the building next to you? Where is your view of the valley or mountain.
Agree with your critique on placement and view. Why not do a Claybrook or Jackson Gore type building with half the units facing the mountain? Same number of units. One mega deluxe courtyard instead of 3 smaller ones. Ski to every door on the courtyard. Skate 50 feet to the trail.

Disagree on retail/commercial. It all needs to be in a central spot for synergy, and that central spot is the access road.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

K's proposed Base Camp at Bear may be competing against SP Land Company, LLC's Village for prospective property buyers. http://www.livekillington.com/#intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the second home market at K big enough for both projects to go forward? It will be interesting to see which project starts first. The Village real estate may be more desirable as the slopeside season is longer and it will be much closer to the bars, restaurants and retail stores that will be developed as part of the Village.

Does the Base Camp have all of is permits? I believe it was reported recently that Phase I of the Village has received all of its permits.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

liv4ski wrote:K's proposed Base Camp at Bear may be competing against SP Land Company, LLC's Village for prospective property buyers. http://www.livekillington.com/#intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the second home market at K big enough for both projects to go forward? It will be interesting to see which project starts first. The Village real estate may be more desirable as the slopeside season is longer and it will be much closer to the bars, restaurants and retail stores that will be developed as part of the Village.

Does the Base Camp have all of is permits? I believe it was reported recently that Phase I of the Village has received all of its permits.
Don't know that the Bear project has even filed for approval yet. Still, while the "Village" has received Act 250 approval, SP Land has to find developers before coming back to the Planning Commission for final approval. Meanwhile, the minute the Bear project gets its approvals, it can move ahead. I'd bet it gets started well before the "Village".
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Bubba wrote:
liv4ski wrote:K's proposed Base Camp at Bear may be competing against SP Land Company, LLC's Village for prospective property buyers. http://www.livekillington.com/#intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know that the Bear project has even filed for approval yet. Still, while the "Village" has received Act 250 approval, SP Land has to find developers before coming back to the Planning Commission for final approval. Meanwhile, the minute the Bear project gets its approvals, it can move ahead. I'd bet it gets started well before the "Village".
I'm talking only about the duplex buildings, not the lift and trail improvements. "Phase 2 of the Bear Mountain Revitalization features construction of 18 duplex buildings near the foot of the Devil’s Fiddle ski trail with an estimated cost of $25 million, and is expected to begin during summer 2020."

You think construction on the Village condos/townhomes will start after 2020? If SP Land can't find a developer by 2020 because of a weak market, it's hard to believe K (or Powder) will go forward with the duplex buildings at Bear.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

liv4ski wrote:
Bubba wrote:

I'm talking only about the duplex buildings, not the lift and trail improvements. "Phase 2 of the Bear Mountain Revitalization features construction of 18 duplex buildings near the foot of the Devil’s Fiddle ski trail with an estimated cost of $25 million, and is expected to begin during summer 2020."

You think construction on the Village condos/townhomes will start after 2020? If SP Land can't find a developer by 2020 because of a weak market, it's hard to believe K (or Powder) will go forward with the duplex buildings at Bear.
Phase 1 includes housing as well. My bet is that Phase 1 at Bear begins before the Village at Snowshed.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Is this and the SRQ the result of the new owner up the road? Competition is good.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

liv4ski wrote:
Bubba wrote:

I believe that K/Powdr is not the developer of this project, but the individual who did Sunrise.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22