OT - Intersesting fix-it things to know

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

OT - Intersesting fix-it things to know

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I set to bold print the ones that I thought would be interesting to this forum. Amazing how much uses you can get out of some household products.

THINGS TO KNOW

1. Budweiser beer conditions the hair
2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish
3. Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 minutes
4. Mayonnaise will KILL LICE, it will also condition your hair
5. Elmer's Glue - paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads if any

6. Shiny Hair - use brewed Lipton Tea
7. Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water
8. Minor burn - Colgate or Crest toothpaste
9. Burn your tongue? Put sugar on it!
10. Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too

11 Bee stings - meat tenderizer
12. Chigger bite - Preparation H
13. Puffy eyes - Preparation H
14. Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)
15. Stinky feet - Jello!

16. Athletes feet - cornstarch
17. Fungus on toenails or fingernails - Vicks vapor rub
18. Kool aid to clean dishwasher pipes. Just put in the detergent section and run a cycle, it will also clean a toilet. (Wow, and we drink this stuff)
19. Kool Aid can be used as a dye in paint also Kool Aid in Dannon plain yogurt as a finger paint, your kids will love it and it won't hurt them if they eat it!
20. Peanut butter - will get scratches out of CD's! Wipe off with a coffee filter paper

21. Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray
22. Pam will also remove paint, and grease from your hands! Keep a can in your garage for your hubby
23. Peanut butter will remove ink from the face of dolls
24. When the doll clothes are hard to put on, sprinkle with corn starch and watch them slide on
25. Heavy dandruff - pour on the vinegar!

26. Body paint - Crisco mixed with food coloring. Heat the Crisco in the microwave, pour in to an empty film container and mix with the food color of your choice!
27 Tie Dye T-shirt - mix a solution of Kool Aid in a container, tie a rubber band around a section of the T-shirt and soak
28. Preserving a newspaper clipping - large bottle of club soda and cup of milk of magnesia, soak for 20 min. and let dry, will last for many years!
29. A Slinky will hold toast and CD's!
30. To keep goggles and glasses from fogging, coat with Colgate toothpaste

31. Wine stains, pour on the Morton salt and watch it absorb into the salt.
32. To remove wax - Take a paper towel and iron it over the wax stain, it will absorb into the towel.
33. Remove labels off glassware etc. rub with Peanut butter!
34. Baked on food - fill container with water, get a Bounce paper softener and the static from the Bounce towel will cause the baked on food to adhere to it. Soak overnight. Also; you can use 2 Efferdent tablets, soak overnight!
35. Crayon on the wall - Colgate toothpaste and brush it!

36. Dirty grout - Listerine
37. Stains on clothes - Colgate
38. Grass stains - Karo Syrup
39. Grease Stains - Coca Cola, it will also remove grease stains from the driveway overnight. We know it will take corrosion from car batteries!
40. Fleas in your carpet? 20 Mule Team Borax- sprinkle and let stand for 24 hours. Maybe this will work if you get them back again.
41. To keep FRESH FLOWERS longer Add a little Clorox, or 2 Bayer aspirin, or just use 7-up instead of water.

42. When you go to buy bread in the grocery store, have you ever wondered which is the freshest, so you "squeeze" for freshness or softness? Did you know that bread is delivered fresh to the stores five days a week? Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each day has a different color twist tie. They are: Monday = Blue, Tuesday = Green, Thursday = Red Friday = White and Saturday = Yellow. So if today was Thursday, you would want red twist tie; not white which is Fridays (almost a week old)! The colors go alphabetically by color Blue- Green - Red - White - Yellow, Monday through Saturday. Very easy to remember. I thought this was interesting. I looked in the grocery store and the bread wrappers DO have different twist ties, and even the ones with the plastic clips have different colors. You learn something new everyday! Enjoy fresh bread when you buy bread with the right color on the day you are shopping.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

31. Wine stains, pour on the Morton salt and watch it absorb into the salt.

We used this one at the Bay1Basher's house on New Year's Eve :wink:
Richard Simmons
Blue Chatterbox

Re: OT - Intersesting fix-it things to know

Post by Richard Simmons »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
THINGS TO KNOW

1. Budweiser beer conditions the hair
2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish
3. Cool whip will condition your hair in 15 minutes
4. Mayonnaise will KILL LICE, it will also condition your hair HEY! So will my man juice!

5. Elmer's Glue - paint on your face, allow it to dry, peel off and see the dead skin and blackheads if any

6. Shiny Hair - use brewed Lipton Tea
7. Sunburn - empty a large jar of Nestea into your bath water
8. Minor burn - Colgate or Crest toothpaste
9. Burn your tongue? Put sugar on it! Or Dick Simmons' spooge!
10. Arthritis? WD-40 Spray and rub in, kill insect stings too
11 Bee stings - meat tenderizer
12. Chigger bite - Preparation H
13. Puffy eyes - Preparation H
14. Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)
15. Stinky feet - Jello! Eewwwww!, just like Mr. Disemboweler
That's one big rope between my legs. Who wants to go for a swing?

Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

tyrolean_skier wrote:14. Paper cut - crazy glue or chap stick (glue is used instead of sutures at most hospitals)
Do many people go to hospitals with paper cuts?
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

21. Sticking bicycle chain - Pam no-stick cooking spray

No Way!
The oil in pam will attract dirt/dust like a magnet collects iron dust...use GT-85 it"s the bomb!
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

sh*t and i was looking for tips on reglazing windows. i'm going out of my mind on this. 8 windows, 3 over 6 panes. Its freakin mind numbingly tedious. at least there could've been a fix it for hangovers. oh wait, it's hair of the dog.
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

2knees wrote:sh*t and i was looking for tips on reglazing windows. i'm going out of my mind on this. 8 windows, 3 over 6 panes. Its freakin mind numbingly tedious. at least there could've been a fix it for hangovers. oh wait, it's hair of the dog.
I just did 2 windows....2 over 2 and it was a suck ass job.
2knees
Poster Child Poster

Post by 2knees »

Ski-N-Sail wrote:
2knees wrote:sh*t and i was looking for tips on reglazing windows. i'm going out of my mind on this. 8 windows, 3 over 6 panes. Its freakin mind numbingly tedious. at least there could've been a fix it for hangovers. oh wait, it's hair of the dog.
I just did 2 windows....2 over 2 and it was a suck ass job.
I'm on the fifth of the 8. I have been averaging about 6 beers per window. You can tell where i started and where i finished quite obviously.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

Athletes foot - take a piss on your feet.

Preferably while in the shower.
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

Another one for removing wax is to place a brown paper bag over the wax, then iron....

Plain, regular (not the gel type) dabbed on a pimple will clear it up quickly.

To make chopped celery last longer, place chopped celery in a plastic container then cover with water. It will stay fresh & crisp for about 1 month.

To keep lettuce fresh, wash & shake off most of the water. Roll up in paper towels & place in Zip loc bags. Will stay fresh for weeks.

^^ They really work!
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
KBL Ed
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by KBL Ed »

tyrolean_skier wrote:2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish

2) Womyn, help me out: OK you've got dry nails now, but was it worth getting Pam all over your hands? Something doesn't compute there.

14) My method: look at finger. Say, "dang. paper cut." Continue doing whatever you were doing before.
Es war sehr schoen.
Over ten years... not including RSN or K-Chat. Way too much time wasted.
Smell you later.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

KBL Ed wrote:14) My method: look at finger. Say, "dang. paper cut." Continue doing whatever you were doing before.
thats great for teachers who want to grade papers (oh wait a minute, red paper grading is no longer PC... never mind...)
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

KBL Ed wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:2. Pam cooking spray will dry finger nail polish

2) Womyn, help me out: OK you've got dry nails now, but was it worth getting Pam all over your hands? Something doesn't compute there.

14) My method: look at finger. Say, "dang. paper cut." Continue doing whatever you were doing before.
In nail salons there is generally a little bottle of some kind of oil that is suppose to speed up drying. You apply it to the nails and then stick the nails under the fans until the oil is dry. Maybe that is what you are suppose to do with Pam as well.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

jenscats5 wrote:Another one for removing wax is to place a brown paper bag over the wax, then iron....

To make chopped celery last longer, place chopped celery in a plastic container then cover with water. It will stay fresh & crisp for about 1 month.

To keep lettuce fresh, wash & shake off most of the water. Roll up in paper towels & place in Zip loc bags. Will stay fresh for weeks.

^^ They really work!
Plain what?

I've got to try your celery and lettuce tricks and see if they work for me.
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
jenscats5 wrote:Another one for removing wax is to place a brown paper bag over the wax, then iron....

^^ They really work!
Plain what?

I've got to try your celery and lettuce tricks and see if they work for me.
Plain toothpaste, not gel, it has to be the white one. The lettuce trick works, I've been doing it for years!