Eclipse from 4241'

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: Eclipse from 4241'

Post by MrsG »

Seeing the eclipse on K1 deck was more exciting than expected - fun experience! Oh, skiing earlier was pretty good too!
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Skied the morning at K then headed to Sugarbush. Huge crowd with parking lots close to completely full. Stage with six piece band playing Pink Floyd music including all of Dark Side. I was stunned at the difference between a total eclipse and a partial. A magical experience.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

PinnacleJim wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 18:10 Skied the morning at K then headed to Sugarbush. Huge crowd with parking lots close to completely full. Stage with six piece band playing Pink Floyd music including all of Dark Side. I was stunned at the difference between a total eclipse and a partial. A magical experience.
How was the ride back south?
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

180 wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 20:21
PinnacleJim wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 18:10 Skied the morning at K then headed to Sugarbush. Huge crowd with parking lots close to completely full. Stage with six piece band playing Pink Floyd music including all of Dark Side. I was stunned at the difference between a total eclipse and a partial. A magical experience.
Slow until Rochester. But definitely worth the trip.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

PinnacleJim wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 20:29
180 wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 20:21
Slow until Rochester. But definitely worth the trip.
yo pinnacle was there as well. rode the lift w a number of folks from k. maybe you were one of them.

yup totality was incredible. great they let us take it in on the mtn. seemed like a saturday crowd. luv the bumps there. band was great. ride up in the AM was normal. ride home took an hour longer. like you said broke up in rochester. no complaints.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

So, did anyone take in the eclipse from the peak (or coop’s or somewhere else on the mountain)?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

spanky wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 21:02 So, did anyone take in the eclipse from the peak (or coop’s or somewhere else on the mountain)?
I watched it from bay 1, had friends that watched it from coops.. got to about dusk at bay 1, not night. My sister was in Burlington and her pictures were nighttime.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Fun time at the "partial" in Bay One. Thanx Rusty for setting up again !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

I almost missed totality. Didn't really put a lot of thought or stock I to what it all meant

8:30. Meeting someone in Mt Holly and looking at an exterior repaint

9:30. Through with that, now what? Okemo is closer than killington might as well use my epic midweek northeast pass that I haven't used enough.

10:30-12:45. OKemo. Super soft snow with some stickiness to it. Only the sunburst 6 and everything off the main face through their closing this coming Sunday. Some fantastic round, low angle moguls on Sels choice. 9 runs was plenty. Now what, k1 viewing party?

12:50. The words of moose, and many others echoed through my brain. Totality is so close, i should probably go for it. Could leave right now and be to Sugarbush or at least Warren where there's a small window, but at least full totality. Last thing I want is to be on 100N in north Rochester before the Granvville Gulch at like 2:50. I have a full tank of gas so lets hit the road. Time to hammer down.

2:15. Made it to Rochester, VT. Traffic was slower than normal with some excess volume but still 50-55mph the whole way. Things are getting slower as I approach the Granville Gulch though. If it takes 45 mins to get through the Gulch, I'll still make it. It takes 30 mins to get through that section with traffic 30-35.

2:55. Find a spot in a pull off on 100N in Warren. It's crowded, but there's still room to park. People tell me the sugarbush lots are just about full. I feel lucky to have a spot in the totality zone after making a last second play.

2:57. Definitely getting pretty dark by now. Watch the eclipse and it was just amazing. Even though it was 53 seconds of totality it was just an incredible experience. Since I missed most of the first part, I stay until 4 to watch the second part.

-Temps drop 15-20⁰
-Gets dark as night
-Mosquitoes come out in droves

4:05. Split before traffic got too bad heading down. Granville Gulch was again 30-35mph heading out. Things got better after Rochester.

Was home by 5:40. So glad I got to witness the totality. Worth every second of getting there.

My son went to Burlington Waterfront with a group from school. They left at 7:30a. Were there by 9:15a
They left at 4:45p and it took them 4 hrs to get home..
That's usually an 1 1/2 drive.
My wife and daughter went with friends to Middlebury at 1:30. They had an easy in and out, but we're on the fringe of totatality and it never really got dark, just shadowy. I had no plans, almost missed it, but managed to make it happen

You were right Moose, totatality was worth it.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

spanky wrote: Apr 8th, '24, 21:02 So, did anyone take in the eclipse from the peak (or coop’s or somewhere else on the mountain)?
I was at Coops with about 20 people. Peak had around 50 from what I was told. Ended up watching it out on the trail...got cold for a few :)
Keithus
Slalom Racer

Post by Keithus »

We missed totality back in 2017 when I posted this, and have waiting for this one ever since.
Went up 89 to Williston in about 1.5 hours.
Saw the amazing black hole sun and that fat, solar flared corona. Priceless!
Left around 4:00 with 10,000+ of my closest friends and eventually bailed on parking lot 89 traffic in Montpelier for parking lot traffic on 12.
Only 5 hours from South Burlington to Killington including dinner in Woodstock.
So worth it!
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

i watched fom peak of stark's mtn.
saw a crowd of 15 or so killington folk during the event.
no real traffic heading north. 22A heading home was the most crowded i've ever seen around 10pm...thruway was packed crawling above albany past midnite.
6 hrs home including 2 power naps. no regrets!
Attachments
totality, no justice done
totality, no justice done
IMG_6514.jpeg (250.42 KiB) Viewed 309 times
the K crowd
the K crowd
IMG_6447.jpeg (656.53 KiB) Viewed 314 times
12:21am tues
12:21am tues
IMG_6500.jpeg (429.34 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Last edited by buckethead on Apr 9th, '24, 14:47, edited 2 times in total.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 11:29 i watched fom peak of stark's mtn.
beautiful warm day, skiing was pretty damn good too, if interesting on bottom half.
no real traffic heading north. 22A wss the most crowded i've ever seen around 10pm...thruway was packed crawling above albany past midnite
Attachments
IMG_6424.jpeg
IMG_6424.jpeg (792.51 KiB) Viewed 298 times
Last edited by buckethead on Apr 9th, '24, 14:48, edited 2 times in total.
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 11:48
buckethead wrote: Apr 9th, '24, 11:29 i watched fom peak of stark's mtn.
beautiful warm day, skiing was pretty damn good too, if interesting on bottom half.
no real traffic heading north. 22A wss the most crowded i've ever seen around 10pm...thruway was packed crawling above albany past midnite
I was at Mad River as well, what an incredible day. Great vibes all around.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yes. perfect weather, and somehow on a day that warned of mega crowds, MRG felt very much off the beaten path.
loved that the mountain catered to the desire to be up top for the event.